Review by janelwhite -- A Police Action by A. A. Freda

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
janelwhite
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelwhite.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00C5W16B8

Review by janelwhite -- A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by janelwhite »

[Following is a volunteer review of "A Police Action" by A. A. Freda.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

A Police Action is a historical fiction about a man who serves in the Vietnam War. It can also be described as a romance, but that is only part of the story. It is truly a coming of age story for both of the main characters and also an insight into the lives of soldiers who fought in the Vietnam War.

James Coppi is a draftee with only ten months left on his tour. His deployment to Vietnam is an unexpected shock. The story begins with his arrival at his new assignment in Colorado. He has just spent two weeks of vacation back home in New York with his girl. He left that relationship in shambles because he could not give her the commitment she wanted. Coppi is an ambitionless man who lives day by day and is still unsure of what he wants.

The very next day after Coppi arrives in Colorado, the men go into town for some fun. They are at the local Honky-Tonk and Coppi is bored. He gets lost in thoughts of the girl he left behind. He is unaware that a woman has been trying to catch his eye. This woman will be a turning point in Coppi’s life. She walks over and introduces herself as Samantha Powers.

The story that unfolds reveals a struggle for what is right and true. Samantha fights for her reputation as a single woman living alone. She also fights for their love. Coppi fights for his life in the war and for what he wants. The six months they are apart is a time of maturity for both of them.

AA Freda tells a story with two very strong characters. Samantha is independent and confident despite her immaturity. Coppi is outspoken and does as he pleases, which makes him stand out. His confidence and intelligence carry him through his deployment. What I enjoyed most about this book is that it had plenty of suspense tempered with humor. The dialogue is entertaining and the author does an exceptional job at character development. What I disliked most about this story was that the writing style was very blunt. The composition of the story was not as articulate and engaging as I would have liked. I like to feel as though I am a part of the story and not just reading it. 

Overall AA Freda did an excellent job telling this story and I rate A Police Action with 3 out of 4 stars simply because the story did not pull me in. It had only one spelling mistake. I would recommend this story to romance and historical fiction lovers. 

ReadandTeach

A Police Action
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like janelwhite's review? Post a comment saying so!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”