Review by Rachel Lea -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Rachel Lea -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Rachel Lea »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On a bitterly cold December morning in the Gulf of Alaska—on a Sunday at 4 a.m., the seas angry and rough—Captain Steve Procida wakes sharply to the blare of an alarm outside his cabin. His sleep has been fitful—he’s having that nightmare again about his son—but he knows exactly what the alarm signals. His container ship, the Seattle Express, has caught fire.

Thus begins a stirring, edge-of-your-seat adventure tale told from multiple points of view that follows the harrowing loss of the Seattle Express at sea and the race-against-time to locate the ship’s survivors before they meet a watery end out in the frigid North Pacific. To go more in detail would spoil the brilliant twists and turns the plot takes—to put it simply, this story doesn’t end the way you think it will!

Veteran seaman Charlie Sheldon’s Adrift starts off with a bang—quite literally—and never lets the reader off the hook until the last page. The author’s storytelling is masterful. He juggles the narratives of six distinct and well-developed characters with ease and weaves the few subplots together seamlessly into one cohesive and compelling story. He changes the point of view with each chapter but never in a way that makes the reader lose the flow of the story; the changes instead infuse a never-ending sense of urgency. He brings in a fascinating Native American cultural element as well, through two of the lead characters, which I also really enjoyed and thought made the story richer.

Despite the overall stellar quality of this book, there are a few minor issues I have with it that might just be personal opinions on my part but still bother me. Several side characters—in particular one lead’s ex-wife, the lawyers representing the power-hungry corporation that owns the Seattle Express, and also one religiously-oriented sailor—were written in what I felt was a stereotypical manner. This was not enough to significantly take away from the story for me, but it did make me raise an eyebrow and wish that more creativity was put into these characters’ development.

The one other issue I have is that while the author did a great job of making sure to tie up loose ends, I thought some of the subplots concluded a little too cleanly and a little too hastily. This felt somewhat unrealistic, but again, not in a way that significantly lessoned my enjoyment of the book.

Sheldon’s knowledge of the sea and of sailing is markedly evident, which makes Adrift even more of a thrilling and wonderful experience to read. Overall, I rate this book a well-deserved 4 out of 4 stars. The manuscript appears to be professionally edited, as I found very few errors. There is frequent swearing and one gory scene where a character suffers a grave injury, but otherwise the book is clean. The swearing makes sense given the rough background of many of the characters.

Anyone who enjoys a riveting adventure story that’s infused with a lot of heart and humanity—and plenty of sailors’ jargon and Native American lore—will enjoy Adrift. I know I loved this book immensely!

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Rachel Lea's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this story and enjoyed it thoroughly as well. Thanks for a very informative and well-written review!
Janalyn101
Favorite Book: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Currently Reading: Vagabond
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janalyn101.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Janalyn101 »

What a great review! I totally agree about it being wrapped up in a neat bow at the end. I still thought this was a great book and a great review!
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Prisallen wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 03:19 I read this story and enjoyed it thoroughly as well. Thanks for a very informative and well-written review!
Thank you so much, Prisallen! :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

Janalyn101 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 07:39 What a great review! I totally agree about it being wrapped up in a neat bow at the end. I still thought this was a great book and a great review!
Thank you, Janalyn101! :D
BuzzingQuill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-buzzingquill.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BuzzingQuill »

(spoilers below)

Fantastic review! I read the book and share a lot of your same thoughts. Also, I didn't pick up on how the lawyers were so stereotypically written, I mean the, showing up at the funeral was pretty over-the-top when I think back
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

BuzzingQuill wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 10:16 (spoilers below)

Fantastic review! I read the book and share a lot of your same thoughts. Also, I didn't pick up on how the lawyers were so stereotypically written, I mean the, showing up at the funeral was pretty over-the-top when I think back
Yes, I thought so, too. I still liked that there was a happy ending, but, yeah, I wish there had been a little more creativity in how all of the characters' problems were resolved. Thank you so much for your comments! :)
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Plenty of "sailors' jargon"...sign me up! Sounds like quite the entertaining read, but as a boater myself...I tend to avoid stories centered around tragedy at sea.
Rachel Lea

Post by Rachel Lea »

CommMayo wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 11:47 Plenty of "sailors' jargon"...sign me up! Sounds like quite the entertaining read, but as a boater myself...I tend to avoid stories centered around tragedy at sea.
I can definitely understand that... Thank you so much for your comments! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”