Review by Clorinda Donovan -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Review by Clorinda Donovan -- Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Follow Anna as she struggles to survive a trio of abuse and a murderous step brother. Can Rafe rescue her? Will she have to rescue him along the way? Together, Anna and Rafe will have to fight their demons because they have little choice and fewer allies.

Heartaches by H.M. Irwing is a story about a high school student, Anna and her savior/boyfriend Rafe. He has a history of abuse that still haunts him. An ex-military solider from Syria, with a grotesque and gruesome abuse history, may not be a good savior for a broken girl. Moreover will Rafe ever look at Anna with the same love she develops for him. Sparks will fly and Anna will grow into a more confidant woman. She will develop from being a victim and turn into a realistic heroine if ever there was one.

The story is an eye opener into the fears and insecurities of rape victims. H.M.Irwing unashamedly delves into sensitive topics like military sex abuse. He has brought to light some realities we would all rather stay ignorant towards. A quite detailed account of two different abuses and romantically inclined protagonists make for a good story. I thought it was an insightful read, but I think that the genre should have more attached than just "romance". It is a definite downgrade from what this book actually is. Furthermore, heartaches is extremely graphic and so perhaps people, who are sensitive to such things or are offended by it should stay clear of Anna and Rafe's story.

The disappointing part of this book was that it was more a story of abuse than romance. I feel the writer should have emphasized romance more than sexual acts. Notwithstanding the graphic sexual scenes, it was lacking in character description. Anna for one is a green eyed girl with large "assets". I feel any reader needs more for the imagination.

I liked that heartaches addressed such sensitive subjects so blatantly. Maybe this sort of writing will enlighten the right people in all the right places. If you like adult love scenes and a sprinkle of romance, rape and young adults finding each other then, this is the right book. My ratings are 3 out of 4 stars. The book was well edited, but a lack of depth and character description made me remove just a single star.

Heartaches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Clorinda Donovan's review? Post a comment saying so!
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

After reading the first Heartaches novel, I pretty much lost all respect for this author...good on you for being able to see past some of the issues with her writing quality to find a salvageable message.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”