Review by danielleamy -- The Easter Make Believers

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Review by danielleamy -- The Easter Make Believers

Post by danielleamy »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Easter Make Believers" by Finn Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Detectives Nick and Tobe are looking for James Chen. He and his family were held at gunpoint inside their home, by what was the biggest gang in Lawrence, New Zealand. That was until an explosion came from inside the house. The gang members were dead. Somehow James' wife and their two children survived. But James himself just disappeared from inside his house. By the time the police entered the building, James was gone. He had been taken hostage by a surviving gang member. They are somewhere out in the wild. How did they escape when the house was completely surrounded by the police? There's also a snow storm coming. Will they get to James in time before he's murdered, or before he dies from exposure?

This novel is a crime, thriller and mystery. It explores themes of drug use, gangs and violence. It also addresses themes on morality and the blurry line that can exist between right and wrong. Nick discovers just how far some people will go to achieve 'an eye for an eye'. In the end, will good triumph evil? And what defines good or evil?

The book takes a few different perspectives according to the chapter title. For example, the chapter titles tend to alternate between 'Tobe and Nick', 'The Two Men in the Dark' and 'The Storm'. So the reader gets to see snippets from the hostage's point of view which helps to build tension. I love being wrong about my predictions when it comes to crime solving and mystery novels. I like to think I'm right, then have my theory turned upside down. Otherwise, the novel seems too predictable and boring. This was the case with The Easter Make Believers, by Finn Bell. After reading the first third of the book, I had a good idea of what was going to happen. Then by the end, when I realised I was completely wrong, I was pleasantly surprised. I think that those who love a good plot twist will revel in reading this, just as I did. I was left questioning what I would do in Nick's situation. I definitely questioned my own morals while reading this book.

The only part I disliked about the book is that I did not understand Sylvie's connection to the gang or the hostage situation (I cannot elaborate more without giving away spoilers). I think this aspect of the plot was not explained enough. However, this was only a minor detail of the book. Readers should be warned that there is some mild swearing, but it was used intentionally and was not excessive. Also, potential readers should not be put off from the slightly strange title; it all makes sense in the end!

I loved reading this from start to finish. The characters were believable and the plot was gripping. Therefore, I happily rate The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell, 4 out of 4 stars. There were only a few minor typos, so I could not justify knocking off a star. I enjoyed reading this too much not to give it full marks and I look forward to reading more of Bell's books.

The Easter Make Believers
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like danielleamy's review? Post a comment saying so!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Crime thrillers are one of my best reads. I hope james survived all that. I'm picking this book. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 30 May 2019, 01:56 Crime thrillers are one of my best reads. I hope james survived all that. I'm picking this book. Thanks for the review.
I'd definitely recommend this one. I found it quite addictive! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did and I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. Thanks for stopping by
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I read and reviewed this book as well. Like you, I thought I had it all figured out but was pleasantly surprised to find out I hadn't! Thanks for your review!
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

angiejack456 wrote: 31 May 2019, 09:48 I read and reviewed this book as well. Like you, I thought I had it all figured out but was pleasantly surprised to find out I hadn't! Thanks for your review!
It's a great twist isn't it, I was fooled! Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

This one sounds fascinating with the twists and unexpected surprises. It certainly was not what I expected from the title. Thank you for an excellent review!
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I'm always on the market for a good thriller, and love twists and turns in a book when done correctly. I'll give this a try!
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

Bluebird03 wrote: 31 May 2019, 15:11 This one sounds fascinating with the twists and unexpected surprises. It certainly was not what I expected from the title. Thank you for an excellent review!
I initially thought it sounded like a children's book due to the title! I would highly recommend it if you love a plot twist. Thanks for your comment!
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

beccabecky wrote: 31 May 2019, 16:39 I'm always on the market for a good thriller, and love twists and turns in a book when done correctly. I'll give this a try!
I'm sure you won't regret it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! Thanks for stopping by and commenting :)
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I'm not really into the crime/mystery/thriller genre so I'll pass. I do hope that they find James before it's too late. Thanks for the review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

This sounds like a very intense novel on crime and drugs. The plot twist towards the end also appears interesting. Nice review.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I really enjoy well-written books with twists in them, so I think I would like this book as it sounds very exciting. As always, great review!
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

Kelyn wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 21:06 I'm not really into the crime/mystery/thriller genre so I'll pass. I do hope that they find James before it's too late. Thanks for the review!
It's not for everyone. Thanks for stopping by!
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

Wyland wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 08:48 This sounds like a very intense novel on crime and drugs. The plot twist towards the end also appears interesting. Nice review.
It's a clever thriller, but not overly intense or violent like many other crime novels. Thanks for your comment!
danielleamy

Post by danielleamy »

Prisallen wrote: 04 Jun 2019, 10:50 I really enjoy well-written books with twists in them, so I think I would like this book as it sounds very exciting. As always, great review!
I'm sure you would enjoy the twist in this! I'm always a sucker for a plot twist too and this kept me hooked right until the end. Thanks for your lovely comment :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”