Review by DavidOchieng -- The Biblical Clock

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ochieng Omuodo
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Intrepid Brotherhood
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochieng-omuodo.html
Latest Review: Endgame by William Reed

Review by DavidOchieng -- The Biblical Clock

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Biblical Clock" by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

In the beginning of The Biblical Clock we are told that it is not a book to read in one sitting. What the authors, Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon should have advised us, is to read it at least twice to absorb it. Although classified as non-fiction, the book also uses fiction to achieve its objective. It boldly sets out to marry two apparently disparate ways of measuring time; to show that the six-day timeline for the creation and development of the universe in the book of Genesis, coupled with biblical accounts of human history, is mirrored by science’s 13.8 billion-year period for the same. This is, of course, and age-old preoccupation for just about everyone from a culture with a creation myth that is confronted with the challenges science poses to traditional beliefs. Friedmann and Sheldon take us on a journey through the creation story and its establishment of the End of Days. They provide an explanation of how this end will come and then tie up everything to demonstrate our role in bringing about the Messianic Era.

The authors synthesise voluminous information very well, making the book educational and thought-provoking. One does not need to be adept in the bible, or any scripture, for the hypotheses to make sense. Further, there is a detailed glossary, and reference maps to aid the reader. I particularly liked how some seemingly far-fetched contentions were made and then substantiated. The time calculations seemed so contrived and even fanciful that I just had to seek out independent sources on the subject to verify them.

It turns out that the concept of time itself was vague in the minds of those who wrote the scriptures and the people in their time. Consequently, and translators of these have had difficulties trying to make intelligible to us. If you imagine that the “hour” as we know it varied greatly in the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic usage of it in those days; it could be anything from an instant to an entire agricultural season. Therefore, although this told me that it is then impossible to achieve adequate calibration from our stand-point, the attempt made by Friedmann and Sheldon is mostly credible. I was able to appreciate that the historical characters in the book knew what they were doing and were more than capable of doing their own calculations, interpretations and even predictions.

However, I do take issue with three major areas in the book. Firstly, a controversy with regard to the authenticity of the Zohar, but do not address it properly. This is a crucial factor as the Zohar is supposed to be a fundamental to scriptural interpretation. Secondly, the religion-based calculations are detailed whereas the scientific ones are not, appendix and endnotes with references notwithstanding. One cannot claim to demonstrate how “widely divergent narratives” from Genesis and scientific theories affirm each other without presenting both sides equitably. It follows, therefore, that an End of Days scenario cannot be claimed for all humanity.

Lastly, the depiction of Israel a righteous victim and Russia as some sort of covetous devil, has the potential to alienate readers and is not really appropriate for a book dealing with factual issues because the discourse quickly resembles propaganda. The authors’ right to creativity notwithstanding, this is more appropriate for fiction.

Even with these issues, I thoroughly enjoyed the book. I learned far more than I expected when I set out to read it for it was illuminating and clearly well researched, not just for the grasp of many biblical issues of contention, but also the historical context around them. Further, there are almost no grammatical errors in the entire book, which is not surprising since one of the authors is also a professional editor. However, the book omits some essential details and thus is more like a summary, or a prompt for further reading. This is probably because it covers a scope that took Friedmann three other books to do.

I normally enjoy books that give me whiplash. This one gave me lots because I had to keep turning from the main text to the appendices, glossary and endnotes just to keep up. I rate it 3 out of 4. Anyone who needs an intellectual kick up the you-know-what once in a while should read this book; it will make you seek out many others like it.

The Biblical Clock
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DavidOchieng's review? Post a comment saying so!
sirbobthewise
Currently Reading: Embracing Defeat
Bookshelf Size: 222
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirbobthewise.html
Latest Review: PRAGUE: Darkness Descending by Robert Tecklenburg

Post by sirbobthewise »

Excellent review! I also had difficulty with the lack of balance in the research presentation. It didn't read like a book "for everyone" largely due to that, I think, even though the authors seemed to have that intention. While I had thought about possible reader alienation due to the lack of diversity and representation in the research, I hadn't thought about it in terms of the End Times description; I think that's a very good point, so thanks for drawing my attention to that. I also agree with you that it was a fascinating read even with the issues. Thanks for the great review!
Jacktone Ogada
Currently Reading: A Cobbler's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacktone-ogada.html
Latest Review: The King of May by Matthew Tysz

Post by Jacktone Ogada »

I am interested in checking the book out after reading your book. However, it looks like it is a book limited to certain religious sects. Marvelous review though!
:tiphat: Lead by reading :techie-studyinggray:
bookreviewmi1111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewmi1111.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by bookreviewmi1111 »

If someone is interested in the Bible and want to explore more about new opinions about it This book sounds like an interesting one to read. Thanks for the review.
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

sirbobthewise wrote: 13 May 2020, 08:41 Excellent review! I also had difficulty with the lack of balance in the research presentation. It didn't read like a book "for everyone" largely due to that, I think, even though the authors seemed to have that intention. While I had thought about possible reader alienation due to the lack of diversity and representation in the research, I hadn't thought about it in terms of the End Times description; I think that's a very good point, so thanks for drawing my attention to that. I also agree with you that it was a fascinating read even with the issues. Thanks for the great review!
Thank you, it seems like you have an uncannily similar experience to mine in reading it.
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

bookreviewmi1111 wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 00:23 If someone is interested in the Bible and want to explore more about new opinions about it This book sounds like an interesting one to read. Thanks for the review.
True. The interpretations of the older testament stories were particularly helpful.
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Jacktone Ogada wrote: 16 May 2020, 10:43 I am interested in checking the book out after reading your book. However, it looks like it is a book limited to certain religious sects. Marvelous review though!
Well it has a certain bias, but one cannot ignore the strength of the relationships of religion and science given the information included.
Drado_27
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drado-27.html
Latest Review: Manasakd by Kelly May Andrews

Post by Drado_27 »

Seems like an appropriate read for open-minded people of any belief. Really enjoyed your review!
Ochieng Omuodo

Post by Ochieng Omuodo »

Drado_27 wrote: 21 Sep 2020, 13:16 Seems like an appropriate read for open-minded people of any belief. Really enjoyed your review!
Thank you, I agree.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”