Review by Sarah Tariq -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 235
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashiyya-tariq.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: PDF

Review by Sarah Tariq -- Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Final Notice" by Van Fleisher.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

What will you do if someone tells you that you have only one week to live? Final Notice by Van Fleisher is a thought-provoking science fiction novel that describes the positive and negative consequences of gun ownership. Concurrently, it introduces readers with a high-tech sports watch (VT2) that not only monitors the complex health issues but also generates a prior warning of death (final notice) for its users. So, people can tie up their legal and personal affairs. It is the apparent purpose of this watch; but is it rightly used?

The plot switches between two topics and discusses the need and impact of civilian gun ownership. The book vividly displays the requirements and apprehensions of elderly people in the USA. Moreover, the author provides a thorough analysis accompanied by facts and figures that depicts the rising trend among senior citizens who are looking for possessing a gun to secure themselves and their family. Trudi and Vince are among one such couple, who increasingly become convinced that processing a gun remains an ultimate solution to thwart any unpleasant incident, especially from law-breaking youth side. The author presents many cases in which the people misused the NRA discount packages and that resulted in mass killing. These further raises the question about whether the guns should be imparted to old people with deteriorating mental health conditions or it is good for their safety. On the other side, we follow a team of doctors led by Vijay Patel ( a shrewd mathematician and a skilled athlete) has developed a high-tech sports watch that includes a unique quality to predict the death time of its users by monitoring and analyzing their internal health conditions. It was a brilliant invention from a commercial point of view, but did it achieve its objectives without posing any harm to people? The author excellently examines this invention by putting forward different case studies that showed the pros and cons of this novel device.

The book effectively contributes to the burning issue of gun control policy that has a significant impact on maintaining peace in society. The author maintains that racial discrimination and religious intolerance has further hyped the severity of the issue. Furthermore, he (the author) skillfully uses the characterization to signify the depth of the issue that how these guns or controversial technological advancement are affecting the lives of people. Here, the question is that who can be held responsible for the mass shooting in schools and public places? The NRA, that always advocates for gun ownership and presents it as an unavoidable necessity; the government, that couldn’t develop laws for the safety of its citizens; or a gun-owner, who places the other people’s life on risk by just one reckless act. The author critically evaluates many questions for its readers.

The most appealing thing for me was the author’s advocacy for gun control and his demand for the legitimate use of this dangerous weapon. I endorse the author’s views on this matter and support the limited and lawful use of this weapon after giving proper education to its users. We cannot revoke such erroneous incidents associated with this weapon unless we educate gun owners and develop strict laws to curtail its misuse. Additionally, I liked the engaging narrative of the author that made a dry topic interesting. He discussed the whole issue by adding different citations and cases that make the reading engrossing. The inclusion of a unique-featured watch with its unpredictable consequences kept me guessing throughout the story.

In conclusion, this book is a marvelous blend of technology and mystery. For me, there was nothing to dislike. The author very timely chose this issue in the wake of growing gunshot incidents in elderly and youth. It makes it imperative for the US policymakers to revamp their gun safety laws and provide a more secure environment for its citizens. In general, we should spend more money on providing better education and health facilities instead of purchasing guns. This book is mainly set in the US context; however, I believe that it is equally important for the lawmakers of other countries to curb the extremist acts of individual and mass killing. The book is professionally edited. So, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. This book will appeal to the advocates of firearms regulation. However, it may annoy to the supporters of gun ownership. Now, it is the readers’ discretion, in which group they want to place themselves.

Final Notice
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes

Like Sarah Tariq's review? Post a comment saying so!
Make your ideals high enough to inspire you and low enough to encourage you.

📕📖📰📓📕
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book as well and, as I think guns should be more restricted, I enjoyed the book. I can see how fans of the NRA would hate it. Wonderful review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Wow, you have done this book justice! Having read it, i must say your review has captured all the salient issues. Yes, pro-gun-ownership readers may not like the author's stand. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Great review of this book. I liked your emphasis on education and your recommendations! Thanks.
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Prisallen wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 10:28 I read this book as well and, as I think guns should be more restricted, I enjoyed the book. I can see how fans of the NRA would hate it. Wonderful review!
Thanks for dropping a comment. Hope you will find it a good book. :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Cotwani wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 19:21 Wow, you have done this book justice! Having read it, i must say your review has captured all the salient issues. Yes, pro-gun-ownership readers may not like the author's stand. Great review!
Thank you so much for leaving a feedback, Cotwani! It's really an interesting book, aptly covering today's issues.

📕📖📰📓📕
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I've read several reviews on this book now, and yours is one of the most thorough. it is interesting how the takeaway varies depending on whether the reader agrees with the author's message. Great review on a thought-provoking novel!
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I've seen many positive reviews of this book, and I certainly think that it's a topic which warrants more open discussion. Thanks for the lovely review!
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

[bn=][/bn]
kdstrack wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 20:40 Great review of this book. I liked your emphasis on education and your recommendations! Thanks.
Thanks for dropping a comment, Kdstrack!

📕📖📰📓📕
Bianka Walter
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

Fleisher's views on gun control were definitely interesting. I enjoyed reading them, too :)
Great review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

unamilagra wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:35 I've read several reviews on this book now, and yours is one of the most thorough. it is interesting how the takeaway varies depending on whether the reader agrees with the author's message. Great review on a thought-provoking novel!
Yeah, it's a very thought-provoking novel; and in aftermath of recent mass killing in Switzerland it became more important. Thanks for your comments :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I love it when novels are filled with suspense and thought provoking scenes. Your review has piqued my interest on this book and I might probably check it out. Thank you for the wonderful review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

What will you do if someone tells you that you have only one week to live?
The question may initially seem simple and yet could turn out more thought-provoking than normal. I do hope we get to find the right answers and what they should stand for. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

gen_g wrote: 04 May 2019, 03:29 I've seen many positive reviews of this book, and I certainly think that it's a topic which warrants more open discussion. Thanks for the lovely review!
Yeah, it requires a detailed discussion, because we see lot of incidents around the globe associated with gun ownership. Thanks for your comments! :)

📕📖📰📓📕
Ashiyya Tariq
Currently Reading:

Post by Ashiyya Tariq »

Sarah Tariq wrote: 06 May 2019, 22:41
unamilagra wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:35 I've read several reviews on this book now, and yours is one of the most thorough. it is interesting how the takeaway varies depending on whether the reader agrees with the author's message. Great review on a thought-provoking novel!
Yeah, it's a very thought-provoking novel; and in aftermath of recent mass killing in Switzerland it became more important. Thanks for your comments :)
Oh, I mistakenly wrote down Switzerland in place of New Zealand. :cry:

📕📖📰📓📕

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”