Review by Cotwani -- The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Re: Review by Cotwani -- The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin

Post by Connie Otwani »

Prisallen wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 13:30 It's too bad it wasn't a little more exciting. At least, it might encourage that age group to keep a diary. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, the diary entries had more meaning, than just who was a brat or who pulled whose hair!

I appreciate your stopping by!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

danielleamy wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 05:03 I read lots of exciting mysteries when I was younger and I don't think this would compare. Also the quote you gave makes the child sound much older. I hate when authors give children the voice of an adult. I think I'll pass on this. Thanks for your review!
Oh yes, sometimes the children were so prim and proper, it was frightening. I think the author needs to add a little spontaneity and loosening up where children are concerned.

Thanks for your feedback. Truly appreciated!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I like the fact that the book can make one reminisce the good old days. Who doesn't like nostalgia! Thank you for this review. :tiphat:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Fazzier wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 06:16 I like the fact that the book can make one reminisce the good old days. Who doesn't like nostalgia! Thank you for this review. :tiphat:
One for the good old days!!! Thank you for your time!
-Walt Disney
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Maybe something like, ‘What! A Cabin in the Kitchen wall?,’ wouldn't have pre-honed my deductive/investigative skills in anticipation, as I do in ‘normal’ mysteries.
This is a really good point, and a really good suggestion as well! This was a thorough and insightful analysis of the book, and well supported with examples and explanations! Thank you so much! :D
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I like your book critics in your review. You pointed out the gaps that need to be adjusted to enhance the quality of the story. I hope the author will put them into consideration. Incredible review.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have reviewed this book,too and did the same mistake of setting the bar too high. While the charming descriptions of Bess's leisure time invoked an image of a peaceful evening I miss very much,there was simply no mystery to solve. Had it been me,I would have read the entries in a couple of days and be done with it. Additionally,the dialogues are often flat, unnecessarily interspersed with some action of the speaker. The author seems to tell us everything,and not show. It was quite disappointing if you ask me. However,thanks for the nice review,Connie!
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I find that one of the hardest part of an authors job is to make the conversations lively and engaging. I still think that I would have enjoyed this book as a child, the premise is intriguing. Thanks for the comprehensive review!
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

nooregano wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 00:13
Maybe something like, ‘What! A Cabin in the Kitchen wall?,’ wouldn't have pre-honed my deductive/investigative skills in anticipation, as I do in ‘normal’ mysteries.
This is a really good point, and a really good suggestion as well! This was a thorough and insightful analysis of the book, and well supported with examples and explanations! Thank you so much! :D
I hope the author will improve it. Thanks for your thoughts. Truly appreciated.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Nerea wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 00:27 I like your book critics in your review. You pointed out the gaps that need to be adjusted to enhance the quality of the story. I hope the author will put them into consideration. Incredible review.
I hope so too. Thanks for your kind words and for sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Shrabastee wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 03:51 I have reviewed this book,too and did the same mistake of setting the bar too high. While the charming descriptions of Bess's leisure time invoked an image of a peaceful evening I miss very much,there was simply no mystery to solve. Had it been me,I would have read the entries in a couple of days and be done with it. Additionally,the dialogues are often flat, unnecessarily interspersed with some action of the speaker. The author seems to tell us everything,and not show. It was quite disappointing if you ask me. However,thanks for the nice review,Connie!
Happy to hear somebody else felt they way! I wondered why she didn't just finish reading the journal entries in day, too. The author should remove the word mystery from the title to avoid our kind of reactions from the readers. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
-Walt Disney
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

allbooked+ wrote: 27 Apr 2019, 09:13 I find that one of the hardest part of an authors job is to make the conversations lively and engaging. I still think that I would have enjoyed this book as a child, the premise is intriguing. Thanks for the comprehensive review!
A good point indeed. Maybe i didn't enjoy it cos I'm applying my adult mind. Hope children enjoy it!

I appreciate your thoughts on this!
-Walt Disney
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I don’t know if delving into this book ‘nostalgically’ resulted in me setting the bar too high. All I know is that the book didn’t quite sweep me away to adventure land! First, there wasn’t an exciting mystery to unravel, with confusing tell-tale clues to piece together. Rather, unraveling the mystery relied heavily on research and lots of journal entries. To be fair, the book is said to be in the historical fiction genre. Still, the title seems misleading. Maybe something like, ‘What! A Cabin in the Kitchen wall?,’ wouldn't have pre-honed my deductive/investigative skills in anticipation, as I do in ‘normal’ mysteries.
We often set the bar too high for things that bring back fond memories but, in this case, I think you're right. Every review I've read of this book points out that it's not well executed, one way or the other, and I'm not sure it would capture tweens' attention if the mystery element and the pace aren't well-developed.
Thank you for your honest review!
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Thank you for your review! It was great to see a fellow reviewer's opinion about this read.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:

Post by Connie Otwani »

Lunastella wrote: 28 Apr 2019, 07:42
I don’t know if delving into this book ‘nostalgically’ resulted in me setting the bar too high. All I know is that the book didn’t quite sweep me away to adventure land! First, there wasn’t an exciting mystery to unravel, with confusing tell-tale clues to piece together. Rather, unraveling the mystery relied heavily on research and lots of journal entries. To be fair, the book is said to be in the historical fiction genre. Still, the title seems misleading. Maybe something like, ‘What! A Cabin in the Kitchen wall?,’ wouldn't have pre-honed my deductive/investigative skills in anticipation, as I do in ‘normal’ mysteries.
We often set the bar too high for things that bring back fond memories but, in this case, I think you're right. Every review I've read of this book points out that it's not well executed, one way or the other, and I'm not sure it would capture tweens' attention if the mystery element and the pace aren't well-developed.
Thank you for your honest review!
I'm glad its a general feeling the book is little bland. I hope the author works on spontaneity and plot pace.

I appreciate your thoughts on this.
-Walt Disney

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”