Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Review by Dentarthurdent -- The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dentarthurdent »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Matthew Tysz’s novel is set in a world rendered dystopian by a catastrophic event for which the book is named. Essentially, the turn was a phenomenon that inflicted extremely horrific happenings upon the vast majority of humans who experienced it, and was caused by a nightmare of a fiend who calls himself ‘Oakey Dokey.’ The tale occurs two years after the turn ended, leaving the Earth a mere ghost of its previous majesty.

This first book in a series of five chronicles the commencement of the society’s reshaping, as well as how the protagonists come to bring it about. Although it does not narrate their origins per se, elements of their pasts are occasionally mentioned.

We begin the tale with Scholar, an introverted mercenary who wants to take control of the world. Amusingly, he was completely unscathed by the macabre and gut-wrenching affair of the turn; it is an impressive dose of serendipity that he spent the entire duration of the occurrence in his basement, which he left one day to find that the world as he had known it had ended in his absence.

Meanwhile, Ashley abandons his life of comfort and seclusion to rejoin society. He is a narcissistic man who had been successful in life pre-turn, and is getting by comfortably enough post-turn. His decision to move on is influenced by the arrival of a young couple to ‘Cachetown,’ the small town whose sole resident he had been for two years.

As the ambitions of one and wanderings of the other lead these two men to a common path in a post-turn city called Sojourn, our antagonist, Cattleprod, begins his quest for power. This ignoble human-trafficker pursues authority as his means of adapting to a world growing increasingly intolerant of one in his line of work.

I loved that The Turn was not just another scary ‘they all die in the end’ story, but is instead a tale of the perseverance of people in a persistently petrifying world. Moreover, it delighted me that the terror of the turn lost its power over one, if he faced it unflinchingly and unmasked it, as Ashley discovered.

I rate this odyssey through a damaged world 3 out of 4, as it is altogether impressive. The featured personas are unapologetically flawed, not to mention their value and uniqueness are based on their minds and idiosyncrasies, rather than destiny or talent. The Turn is the kind of story you need to read several times to completely understand, but is so compelling, that doing so is a pleasure. In addition to this, the account flows beautifully, and appears professionally edited.

On the other hand, I occasionally felt as if the author’s opinion on various matters was portrayed as that of the characters. For instance, the strategic counsel given to Cattleprod by his two advisors; Rudy and Dr. Mallory, while stimulating, is so similar, the same person could have given it. While I believe we write to share our outlook on the world, with the world, the thoughts ought to be more apparent in the plot, outcomes and details we describe, and less so in the conversations; authors should avoid turning characters into themselves.

Some of the characters are interchangeably similar, an example of this being the presence of two decent and conscientious female doctors in an unscrupulous world, who even share initials. During my first reading, I assumed Dr. Sterling and Dr. Shepherd were the same person. For these reasons, and the fact that I found more than 10 errors, I am not able to give this chronicle the 4 stars it otherwise deserves. Also, I am of the opinion that Tyzs’s work should include a map. We keep reading about several towns like Sojourn, Interstate, Accolade, as well as others, and it is fairly difficult to picture their positions relative to each other.

If tales containing imperfect people and profoundly creepy otherworldly entities with childish and cheery monikers appeal to you, or you are the sort of person who would like to see Marvel’s Legion in a post-apocalyptic setting, pick this book right up, and prepare to be amazed. However, quite a number of readers may find its slow development, bone-chilling contents and rawness quite disconcerting.

I’d recommend the novel to anyone whose preferences deviate from mainstream narratives, who appreciates raw depictions of the human condition and has an open mind. As for the romantics out there, this one may not be for you. Its mature and frightening content also makes the book unsuitable to children under sixteen.

I personally believe that The Turn is the product of an intelligent mind that does not compromise its truth to superficially entertain the reader. The author has approached the logic of the narrative in a style evocative of Orwell’s 1984, and I simply can’t wait to start on the sequel.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dentarthurdent's review? Post a comment saying so!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
Manali_DC
Currently Reading: A Little Life
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manali-dc.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Manali_DC »

This seems to be a very unique storyline! Indeed, it is horrific to imagine how things would be if we woke up one day to find that the world has ended. Very interesting review, and I actually love the names of some of the characters- Scholar, Cattle prod!😀
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

I loved reading about your opinions and I completely agree - using your characters and their dialogues to preach us on personal opinions gets a bit boring to read about. Great review!
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I'm glad that the terror of the turn lost its power over you. The story seems to be intricately designed, but I didn't find it very novel. Your review itself is good; however, I usually keep away from horror movies and books.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I love the name of the fiend! Flawed (creepy) characters struggling in a damaged society seems like an interesting story. Thanks for your review.
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

I loved that The Turn was not just another scary ‘they all die in the end’ story, but is instead a tale of the perseverance of people in a persistently petrifying world.
This sounds like a unique treatment of a dystopian future! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's too bad about the characterization, but I'm glad the other parts of the book made up for that.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Manali_DC wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 10:17 This seems to be a very unique storyline! Indeed, it is horrific to imagine how things would be if we woke up one day to find that the world has ended. Very interesting review, and I actually love the names of some of the characters- Scholar, Cattle prod!😀
I know, right? But I reckon Scholar was luckier than the people who had to watch as the world ended. Thanks for reading my review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Fuzaila wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 11:08 I loved reading about your opinions and I completely agree - using your characters and their dialogues to preach us on personal opinions gets a bit boring to read about. Great review!
Thanks so much! I'm glad you enjoyed it. As for what you've said about preaching about personal opinions, I couldn't have put it better myself. Have a great day!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Renu G wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 22:33 I'm glad that the terror of the turn lost its power over you. The story seems to be intricately designed, but I didn't find it very novel. Your review itself is good; however, I usually keep away from horror movies and books.
I totally get that. I do the same, actually. But sometimes you may get a really great story that's worth making an exception. For me, this was one of those stories. Thanks for stopping by!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

kdstrack wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 22:51 I love the name of the fiend! Flawed (creepy) characters struggling in a damaged society seems like an interesting story. Thanks for your review.
Ha! That makes one of us. Personally, I was mortally frightened of the mysterious villain, and the nonsensical name made it that much worse. The story is captivating.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 17:02
I loved that The Turn was not just another scary ‘they all die in the end’ story, but is instead a tale of the perseverance of people in a persistently petrifying world.
This sounds like a unique treatment of a dystopian future! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's too bad about the characterization, but I'm glad the other parts of the book made up for that.
It is an unconventional story, and I'm glad I got the chance to read it. Thanks for commenting!
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

Tysz seems bent on exploring the post-Apocalyptic world. His other books also delve into such horrific scenarios. This one uses humorous character names which apparently do not temper the scare.

It is 2019. We have come a long way from 1984 and Big Brother, writers and readers both. But will anything prepare us for the Big Bang at the other end?
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 15:15 Tysz seems bent on exploring the post-Apocalyptic world. His other books also delve into such horrific scenarios. This one uses humorous character names which apparently do not temper the scare.

It is 2019. We have come a long way from 1984 and Big Brother, writers and readers both. But will anything prepare us for the Big Bang at the other end?
I can't say that I have read any of his work, aside from this particular series, but from what I've read, he does have a disheartening-- yet not unfounded-- outlook on life and human nature.

Personally, I do not believe we can ever be far enough from what 'Big Brother' represents, and as for the terminal 'Big Bang,' as you call it, it had better be absolute. Any post-apocalyptic tale is the product of a penultimate Armageddon, and they all unquestionably suck for the survivors.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk

Post by Manang Muyang »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 16:32
Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 15:15 Tysz seems bent on exploring the post-Apocalyptic world. His other books also delve into such horrific scenarios. This one uses humorous character names which apparently do not temper the scare.

I can't say that I have read any of his work, aside from this particular series, but from what I've read, he does have a disheartening-- yet not unfounded-- outlook on life and human nature.

Personally, I do not believe we can ever be far enough from what 'Big Brother' represents, and as for the terminal 'Big Bang,' as you call it, it had better be absolute. Any post-apocalyptic tale is the product of a penultimate Armageddon, and they all unquestionably suck for the survivors.
Alas, even Bible scholars say there will be two stages to the end: first the Rapture, then after years of untold strife, the Final Judgement.
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:

Post by Dentarthurdent »

Miriam Molina wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 18:26
Dentarthurdent wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 16:32

Alas, even Bible scholars say there will be two stages to the end: first the Rapture, then after years of untold strife, the Final Judgement.
I know, but it's a shame it has to be so. Thank you very much for your interesting thoughts.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”