Review by reneelu1998 -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Review by reneelu1998 -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ReneeBrown »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday: A Novel of Reincarnation by Samyann is a romantic and unique novel filled with non-stop surprises and thrills that leave the reader guessing. Amanda Parker is a twenty-something antique appraiser with a powerful will and plenty of courage. After the tragic deaths of her beloved parents, brother, and fiance, Amanda has resigned to the fact that the people she loves in life will ultimately suffer an untimely death. When she saves the life of local police officer, Mark Callahan, from a derailed train they both realize that although they have never met before they somehow inexplicably know each other; almost as if they knew each other from another life. But how can that be? Deeply connected in a mysterious way, the reader follows Amanda and Mark in their romantic journey to figure out just exactly how they are inextricably connected. With the help of Amanda’s sassy and intelligent aunt, Mary, they delve deep into “regression”, which leads Amanda back to her previous life; a life teeming with pain, overwhelming sorrow, crushing loss, and also unspeakable joy.

The romance between Mark and Amanda is engaging, real, honest, and thrilling. Often caught in a battle of wills, Mark tries to help Amanda unlock the emotional baggage that she drags around; baggage not only from this life but from her previous one as well. The characters are alive, fleshed out, and personal. An outstanding example is Mark. Yes, he may seem like the average hunky Irish policeman who can sweep any girl off her feet, but as the numerous layers of his personality are revealed the reader discovers that he is an intelligent person with unshakable beliefs and dreams of medical school interrupted because of family obligations. You gradually begin to see him as someone who would do anything for the people that he loves.

The dialogue in this book is one of the most well-written I have ever read. It is genuine, and you feel like you are actually there with the characters. The plot to this story is extremely engaging, filled with non-stop action, and near-death fiascos. The reader never knows what will come next.

Even if you have never read a book about reincarnation you will be hooked on this storyline. The author does an excellent job connecting the two lives and making all of it understandable, and then tying it all together at the very end. The only critique I would give this book is that there was a significant chunk in the middle where it was overly focused on Amanda and Mark’s sexual relationship and seemed to drift away from the plot, but since it’s a romance novel I think that flaw could be overlooked.

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because of how well-written it is and because of how wonderful a story it is. The book is clearly professionally edited as I encountered not a single grammatical error in this book. This book will appeal to any adult reader looking for an exciting romance with a solid, action-filled plot.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like reneelu1998's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

It sounds like a nicely balanced romance, with a dash of mystery. I'm glad that the characters are well-developed; this, I think, is the most important element in any narrative. Great review!
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Dentarthurdent wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 15:44 It sounds like a nicely balanced romance, with a dash of mystery. I'm glad that the characters are well-developed; this, I think, is the most important element in any narrative. Great review!
Yes, that is so true. Well-developed characters can really take a story to the next level. Thank you for your comment!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I agree with the statement above that the character development is very important. The fact that it is a romantic thriller also helps. Thanks for a great review!
ReneeBrown
Currently Reading:

Post by ReneeBrown »

Prisallen wrote: 22 Apr 2019, 11:52 I agree with the statement above that the character development is very important. The fact that it is a romantic thriller also helps. Thanks for a great review!
Yes, I agree. Thanks for reading my review and commenting!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”