Review by Bluebird03 -- The Altitude Journals

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Review by Bluebird03 -- The Altitude Journals

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Altitude Journals" by David J Mauro.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The story begins with Mauro’s wish to be successful in sports (any sport!). After numerous failed attempts at baseball, basketball, soccer, track, swimming, tennis and football, he realizes that what he really loves is wearing a uniform. David graduates from college, marries Jenny and is soon hired by Merrill Lynch. Seven years later, he and Jenny divorce, leading Mauro to add marriage to his long list of perceived failures. He also struggles with the idea of having failed his two sons.

On his forty-fourth birthday, Mauro receives a package from his brother-in-law, Ty. He opens the cardboard tube and discovers two climbing poles with a note “Happy birthday, Super Climber”. Relieved that someone finally believes in him, Mauro accepts the Denali climbing challenge. So begins his love affair with the seven summits.

I am very impressed to learn that Mauro is one of only sixty-five Americans to climb all seven major summits. The Altitude Journals: A Seven-Year Journey From The Lowest Point In My Life To The Highest Point On Earth by David J. Mauro is his collection of the stories of these climbs. He devotes a chapter to each climb and includes what inspired him to make the climb, a log of the climb itself, what he learned from that particular journey, how he applied that lesson to his life and the personal demons that he quieted along the way.

As he narrates this story in first person, he paints a journey so vivid and powerful that I could easily imagine being on the climb along with him. The reader will see the brilliant scenery afforded with each climb, feel the bone-chilling cold (as temperatures dip life-threateningly low), taste the disabling fear in tense moments of the climb (when his throat was dry and parched from the altitude and the cold temperatures) and experience the utter exhilaration of standing on each summit beside Mauro.

Also, I love that Mauro tells his story with exquisite humor and captivating honesty. With each climb, he learns a valuable lesson that becomes a missing piece to the puzzle of his life. This lesson may be one of patience (that he links with dealing with his father’s Alzheimer’s disease), of forgiveness or of opening up to a new love. Additionally, he included enough photos to engage the reader but not become tiresome or detract from the story.

I am pleased to award 4 out of 4 stars to this amazing book. Thankfully, the author also did a thorough job of editing, which further added to the enjoyment of reading his story. I could find nothing to dislike about this book.

Mauro’s story will appeal to anyone who has ever dreamed of climbing even one of the summits. Likewise, it will appeal to armchair summit climbers (like myself). Additionally, someone struggling with a sense of failure will find this book engaging and helpful. It is difficult to imagine a group that this story would not appeal to. I highly recommend this inspiring and captivating read.

The Altitude Journals
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Bluebird03's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Sounds like an inspirational book. I've never been interested in climbing though (I'm terrified of eights), so I'll probably pass. Great review, though!
Janelle Juncos
Favorite Book: The Unbearable Lightness of Being
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janelle-juncos.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Janelle Juncos »

From the way you describe him, I love Mauro already! Who doesn't enjoy an underdog finally finding his bliss? Great review!
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Wow, great review! I really got a picture of the type of person Mario is, and I admire his tenacity. Also, a lot of people will be able to relate to Mario, as the struggles he faces are those that many people face. I usually don't give autobiographies a read, but your review made me consider giving this one a chance. :D
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The author seems to have done a great job with his descriptive writing. It takes some amount of talent to make the reader feel cold and fear as the author pleases. Thank you so much for a brilliant review!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 14:38 Sounds like an inspirational book. I've never been interested in climbing though (I'm terrified of eights), so I'll probably pass. Great review, though!
I am terrified of heights, also! There were some great lessons in this book. Thank you so much for stopping by and for commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Janelle Juncos wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:27 From the way you describe him, I love Mauro already! Who doesn't enjoy an underdog finally finding his bliss? Great review!
"An underdog finally finding his bliss" I love it! Thank you, friend, for stopping by and commenting! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Eclecticmama wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 21:38 Wow, great review! I really got a picture of the type of person Mario is, and I admire his tenacity. Also, a lot of people will be able to relate to Mario, as the struggles he faces are those that many people face. I usually don't give autobiographies a read, but your review made me consider giving this one a chance. :D
I'm not usually a fan of autobiographies either, but so glad I stumbled across this one! Thank you so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments! :)
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

Samy Lax wrote: 16 Apr 2019, 23:08 The author seems to have done a great job with his descriptive writing. It takes some amount of talent to make the reader feel cold and fear as the author pleases. Thank you so much for a brilliant review!
His writing skills were amazing. And when I read the description of the book, I wasn't expecting the humor that he so effectively delivered. I am so glad that you stopped by. Thank you for your very kind comments. :)
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I just started reading this book and am already enjoying it. Your review gives a great description of the book. Great job!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:

Post by Bluebird03 »

angiejack456 wrote: 19 Apr 2019, 09:00 I just started reading this book and am already enjoying it. Your review gives a great description of the book. Great job!
So glad that you are enjoying it! Thank you so much for stopping by and for leaving your kind comments! :)

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”