Review by DogoMulla -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Review by DogoMulla -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by DogoMulla »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

On a Sunday, December 5th, the Seattle Express – a 700-foot container ship – caught fire. Steve Procida, the captain, tried to salvage the situation. He tried to access the damage. According to him, from the information he had gathered from his crew, it was time to abandon ship. Would they make it ashore? If so, would they make it alive?

The owners of the ship, Buckhorn, had been informed of the mishap. They did send tugs. Yet, they weren’t the only ones. Louise smelled the weather and the money. Her husband, Larry, helped gather up a crew. They even called up their rivals – the Dark Cloud’s crew. Aboard the Warhorse, a 160-foot tug, they were going to dare to tow the ship. Would they make it before the Buckhorn tugs?

Adrift is one of the liveliest mariners’ tale I’ve read yet. It’s a standalone sequel to Strong Heart – I’d like to read that one too. Charlie Sheldon catches your attention right from page one. Then he doesn’t let go. The ending is sad. Sad because you don’t want it to end. The story is fast paced. The character development and interaction is commendable. There are quite a number of strong characters and they are all relevant to the narrative. This is not an easy fit to achieve. The prose is exemplary. As a result, the flow of the narrative is amazing. It is easy to connect the dots and hard to get bored.

The thing I liked most about Adrift was the part when William and Anne decided to go find help instead of the others. Some of the crew even thought it was far-fetched. This eventually cost them both. It’s this kind of sacrifice that makes humanity better. Again, there’s the part where the steward and the ordinary went to hunt seal for meat. This was courageous and daring. It’s the few who dare that support the most who wait. I didn’t like the fact that Buckhorn fired Steve just because they could. He had been with them for years only to let him go. Something has to be done about this.

Charlie Sheldon knows his stuff. This is one of the reasons the book was so interesting. With some experience at sea, he has done more than enough research concerning his plot. Even if one has read a tale at sea before, you’ll learn more on this one. Considering I have all these good things to say about this must-read, it would only seem fair it gets a perfect rating. This is not the case though. I found more than ten errors; some punctuation and others wording. For example, the last line of chapter 62 has no closing quotation marks. Then there’s this one at the beginning of chapter 7, at location 624: “Yeah. Wasn’t I was starting a week from Monday?” I still think it was well-edited, but it needs another round of proofreading. It is for this reason only that I give it 3 out of 4 stars.

Let’s get something straight. Adrift comes highly recommended. I recommend it to lovers of mariners’ tales. If you like sea stories, this one might be better than any you’ve read before. It’s a true to life adventure. The characters range from a 13-year old to a 69-year old. Therefore, anyone from any age group can relate with this one. If you wouldn’t want too much details on ships and crew, or prefer urban plots, you should probably pass on this one.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like DogoMulla's review? Post a comment saying so!
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I'm impressed by your transparent, yet concise and firm review. I've enjoyed reading it. In some ways, it reminds me of the beauty of simplicity. I'm glad you savour the book. Thank you for your peachy review, DogoMulla! 🙂
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I read this book as well. I didn't read the first book and I was a little confused at time with some of the characters and William's stories. However, I did love the story. It was captivating. Thank you for a great review!
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

I just finished reading this one and quite enjoyed it as well. I do agree that having not read the first one there was a few confusing spots. Great review!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Thanks for the wonderful review and pointing out some flaws in the book too. I thought you were going to state a different reason as to why the book has a sad ending. I am also in support that at the end, you have a feeling that the story should just continue.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
sarahmarlowe
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Thank you for your thorough review! I just finished this book, and I saw some of the same things, but I was delighted to read your differing opinions. That's one of the things I love about OBC!
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Jeremie Mondejar
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1375
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: All That I Love by Hina Yu Cao

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

Nice review, this book will be my first marine novel. I also curious on marine life.
Jeremie

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

"The few who dare that support the most who wait." I really enjoyed those insightful words and wise observation. Your described the book in a positive and inspiring way. Thanks.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I have enjoyed reading your entertaining but thorough review. I recently reviewed this book too (though it is not yet published). I'm happy to note a different perspective from mine. For example, I was sad about the ending because it didn't have to be so abrupt. Otherwise it was an enjoyable read. Great review!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
lhardey1996
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhardey1996.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by lhardey1996 »

Thank you for an impressive review. it is concise, very well detailed and informative, I have to read this book.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I began reading this book and found it quite interesting. Like you said, I too noticed the errors and know you're justified in deducting a star, which is really unfortunate. So, thanks for your interesting review.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I still haven't gotten to read this and I still want to. It sounds interesting and highly satisfying to read, even with the errors involved, and I want to know how Larry and Louise fare on this undertaking.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I like marine books but not in detail so I think I will take your advice and skip this! Glad you enjoyed it!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”