Review by Dragonsend -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Review by Dragonsend -- Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Dragonsend »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Will of The Hill" by Marshall Cobb.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Have you ever ridden a rocket powered bus up the side of a mountain? Meet the school children of "The Hill," Will and his best friend Dillion, their antagonist Gertrude(known as Intrude), the indomitable Ms.Early and the other denizens of this tiny community situated at the foot of a mountain where this is an everyday occurrence. Will seems to be a walking mess, and with the help of his well meaning friend Dillion, a disaster. When Will's girl-nemesis sets out to blackmail him they find themselves coming up with an elaborate plan to thwart her scheme.

Will of the Hill by Marshal Cobb is an example of preteen situations set in an outlandish suburb filled with quirky occupants and though they seem to live with their heads in the clouds of the mountain of which their town is situated at the base, they are no nonsense when straightening out their children's disasters.

I actually found this book quite enjoyable, the school that sits at the top of "The Hill" and the ideas used in the book to illustrate this odd situation are quite amusing. The author's uses the inconveniences of The Hill to add to the characters development and their odd solutions to their unique situation.

This book covers a wide array of subjects about growing up, bullying, disobeying and lying and the consequences of these actions. While amusing it also conveys how important it is to be honest and truthful. Sometimes the consequences are more painful to the perpetrator than telling the truth, and this book does a good job of conveying that message.

I could have done with a lot less boogers and poop talk. Those elements of the story could have been left out or changed, and the story would have still portrayed the same message. I am giving the book three out of four stars. This is a book that an early preteen can read and enjoy on their own and still understand the underlying theme.

Will of The Hill
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Dragonsend's review? Post a comment saying so!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

I found this read so fascinating ,i didn't mind that it is a children's book.The application of humor was expertly timed, to an abundantly satisfactory effect. The way Will was getting harrased is so sad and yet hilarious in a way.Thanks for such an interesting review Dragonsend.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Ak1412
Currently Reading: Reawakened
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ak1412.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Ak1412 »

This is a book I've been debating reviewing. It looks like it covers some important topics which I will take into account. Thanks for the help.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank you! I did find it interesting and fun for a children's book. The author had to put some thought to The Hill challenge and made the book cute!
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

This sounds like a good book to suggest for the pre-teens in our family! Thank you for the insightful review.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Hope your children enjoy!!🤗
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

This sounds like a fun read! I love that the author has worked serious subjects into the humor of the book. The characters sound really engaging as well. I might just be on the lookout for this one if it comes up for review on my page!! Great review!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank you! It was quirky and fun and I hope you enjoy!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”