Review by Lunastella -- The Unbound Soul

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Review by Lunastella -- The Unbound Soul

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

[Following is a volunteer review of "The Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

How far would you be willing to go following a vision? What would you be capable of doing to find the truth?

Richard Haight had a vision at just eight years old and has since devoted his life to the search of enlightenment and to share what he has learned.

The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment is a combination of memoir, self-help and spiritual genres in which the author shares his personal experiences regarding spiritual development, his quest to find “the bones of Christ” and a method to achieve enlightenment.

What I enjoyed the most about this book were the personal anecdotes. Some of them might seem unbelievable at first, some could be considered controversial, but they are all shared with total honesty. I think using his personal experiences is a great way to connect with the reader and deliver the message he wants to share in a relatable way. The author has led a very interesting life and his reminiscences are fascinating.

The second thing I enjoyed the most was the authors answers to the reader. In this edition of The Unbound Soul, Haight intersperses questions he has received from readers and answers them. This creates a dialogue that clarifies doubts and makes the narration flow easier.

I already practice meditation, so I found The Warrior’s Meditation to be a very interesting addition to my daily practice. Other concepts, like not trying to change people, solving anger before it explodes, intuitive eating and taking changes step by step, as in the Philosophy of One, are things that I had already learned to try to practice in my daily life (although its’ not easy) and I can attest they can improve your peace of mind. There are many practical tips like these in the book. The book also introduced me to some new ideas that I’m interested in learning more about, like genetic memory.

There are two aspects I didn't like so much about The Unbound Soul. The first one is that some chapters are entirely full of abstract concepts with little to no narration and they can be hard to digest. The second one is the finality with which the spiritual advice is presented. On the one hand, the author advises against trusting “ultimate truths”, but he presents his teachings in this same way.

Since the author doesn't subscribe to any particular religion, and for the sake of precision, he has created his own terminology. This can be confusing at first, but he takes the time to explain the terms and provides a glossary at the end of the book, which is very helpful. The format of the book makes it very easy to go back to it and use it as a reference book. The author also provides many resources that enrich and broaden the concepts presented.

This is not a book to read in one sitting, the concepts presented can be dense and you need time to process them. The author also advises that, as the reading might create spiritual movements and bring back unresolved issues the reader should take its time and stop when needed.

Some parts of this book can be considered controversial, such as the reinterpretation of Christian elements, the author's opinion on prayer and the consumption of psychedelic drugs, for example. I wouldn't recommend The Unbound Soul to staunchly religious people, people who dislike philosophical concepts or have a hard time understanding them, or to readers who are interested in much more actionable self-help books. Anyone interested in a unique approach to spiritual enlightenment or in reading a very original memoir could enjoy this book.

The book was exceptionally well edited and I was only able to find one mistake.

I rate The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment by Richard Haight 4 out of 4 stars for its fascinating biographical content, original spiritual content and amazing formatting and editing.

The Unbound Soul
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Lunastella's review? Post a comment saying so!
Hayley2-0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hayley2-0.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Hayley2-0 »

I have a feeling the mission to find Christ's bones didn't work out. This is not my kind of book but I like your review.
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

I think I must not have read this book enough to grasp whether or not the author has truly found what he has set out to look for. I've seen its literary worth, though. Thank you for your insightful review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html

Espie wrote: 07 Apr 2019, 17:16 I think I must not have read this book enough to grasp whether or not the author has truly found what he has set out to look for. I've seen its literary worth, though. Thank you for your insightful review.
I think he thinks he found the truth. Whether it's the ultimate truth (or even if such thing exists) or it's applicable for everyone is quite debatable. Thank you for your thought-provoking comment, Espie.
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

I already practice meditation, so I found The Warrior’s Meditation to be a very interesting addition to my daily practice. Other concepts, like not trying to change people, solving anger before it explodes, intuitive eating and taking changes step by step, as in the Philosophy of One, are things that I had already learned to try to practice in my daily life (although its’ not easy) and I can attest they can improve your peace of mind.
Rather than the book, I'm impressed by your account. Really good! :tiphat:
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am still reading this one and still cannot agree or disagree with you. Nice review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Sahani Nimandra wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 20:24
I already practice meditation, so I found The Warrior’s Meditation to be a very interesting addition to my daily practice. Other concepts, like not trying to change people, solving anger before it explodes, intuitive eating and taking changes step by step, as in the Philosophy of One, are things that I had already learned to try to practice in my daily life (although its’ not easy) and I can attest they can improve your peace of mind.
Rather than the book, I'm impressed by your account. Really good! :tiphat:
Thank you so much for your kind words, Sahani.

Sushan wrote: 09 Apr 2019, 00:38 I am still reading this one and still cannot agree or disagree with you. Nice review 👍👍
I look forward to reading your opinion! Thanks for stopping by.
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like an inspiring read! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review.

gen_g wrote: 10 Apr 2019, 23:46 This sounds like an inspiring read! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks for the review.
It is quite inspiring and thought-provoking. Thanks for stopping by!
Shrabastee Chakraborty
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 1153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shrabastee-chakraborty.html
Latest Review: The Infinite Passion of Life by D.J. Paolini

Post by Shrabastee Chakraborty »

I have read Inspirience by Haight, and can relate most of the aspects you described. Height's writing is undoubtedly reader-friendly. However,his abstract ideas can be difficult to grasp. Thanks for the enlightening review,Andrea!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I enjoyed reading this book as well, and was delighted to see that he included some of the common questions (and his answers) that he has received. Very informative, with great advice. I enjoyed reading your review- very insightful and engaging! :)
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 976
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Alien Bonds by Carmen Webster Buxton

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

This is such an insightful review.

Thank you for sharing it.

Shrabastee wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 05:15 I have read Inspirience by Haight, and can relate most of the aspects you described. Height's writing is undoubtedly reader-friendly. However,his abstract ideas can be difficult to grasp. Thanks for the enlightening review,Andrea!
I've been wanting to read Inspirience because I've had good experiences with meditation but, definitely, Haight's books require the reader to take time to process some concepts and, at parts, they can be very abstract.
Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

Bluebird03 wrote: 18 Apr 2019, 14:33 I enjoyed reading this book as well, and was delighted to see that he included some of the common questions (and his answers) that he has received. Very informative, with great advice. I enjoyed reading your review- very insightful and engaging! :)
I think adding the questions was brilliant and it really helped with the flow of the book and to clarify some abstract concepts. Thank you so much for your kind words!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”