Review by ladycraic -- Yesterday by Samyann

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Review by ladycraic -- Yesterday by Samyann

Post by ladycraic »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Yesterday" by Samyann.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Yesterday by Samyann Curtis is a reincarnation historical fiction novel that tells of the never-ending love between two souls that meet again, defying the laws of time. Amanda, a writer for Plethora Magazine, has been through more heartbreaks than one can count by hand. Hence, she forms the idea that anyone she feels deeply for will vanish and she pushes away those who try to get too close. However, it all changes when she saves Mark Callahan's life. With a Chicago cop fighting for a chance to love her, and their mutual conviction that they must have loved one another in a different life, how will Amanda handle the truth about life?

When I began reading Yesterday, I was not prepared for the idea of reincarnation. Shame on me for skimming over the title. I was taken aback by the unique theme that the novel was based on, yet thrilled for the love story that was promised to unfold before me. The characters blew me away. The depth that Samyann Curtis gave each character made the novel very enjoyable to read. In my opinion, Amanda was justified in feeling the way she felt. She'd been grieving the loss of people close to her, from childhood to her adult years. I was surprised at the sympathetic connection I was able to form with her as I was carried through her thought process. I wasn't left screaming at her, "You're not supposed to give up!" or spewing another frustrated insult her way - I find that I can be a bit harsh on naive female leads, but Amanda was different. She was mature, logical, reasonable, REAL! That was a great refresher.

In addition, I felt drawn emotionally to the other characters woven throughout the story, whether they had great roles or somewhat minor roles. Mark was a pretty cool guy. His faithfulness giddied my heart, and his casual demeanor made the story seem more realistic. Despite how level-headed he seemed, I felt that there were times when he rushed into his feelings a bit. Then there were Bonnie, Jack, Daniel, Papa, Magdalene, and Ben...So many characters and personalities yet they were apart of the same story. The diversity and in-depth overview of each character made for a rich plot that drew me in.

The writing was also fantastic! I commend Curtis - I had no problem reading the novel, as it flowed very smoothly. The editing involved played a great role in allowing me as a reader to get lost in the story, and not in a pool of grammatical errors! The informative descriptions and precise details weren't overdone. They balanced nicely to paint pictures in my head as I imagined the scenario, the characters, the turmoil, the happiness, the scenery, etc. The writing was great, however, I'm not a fan of sexual content in novels. That was the biggest drawback for me. I had to skim through parts to avoid reading scenes I was uncomfortable with. However, that's just MY preference. Lastly, I felt that some romantical connections were formed unrealistically in the context of time but that could easily be argued against by another reader.

Overall, I was surprised at the emotional connections I formed with the characters! I screamed out at times and caught my sister giving me some looks. I don't blame her. I teared up a little at certain scenes. I gasped, I tapped my foot anxiously as I read through, I smiled, I groaned, I pleaded with the author for mercy, I cried some more, then I screamed for joy! There were so many moments that I was actively involved and that surprised me though it wasn't hard to live between the lines of this story! Great job, Curtis! Yesterday was quite an enjoyable read. I would recommend this book to those who love well-written stories that keep them on their toes and don't mind sexual content and profanity. If you prefer a cleaner historical fiction read, this book probably isn't for you. I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I didn't rate it a four because of the sexual nature of some parts of the novel and the profanity involved. That just isn't my thing and takes away from my experiences with any novel. Other than that, it was a great read, and I'll have to say, a story about a powerful love that could possibly last forever.

Yesterday
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ladycraic's review? Post a comment saying so!
CommMayo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review! Your description of the plot really drew me in and I like that you explained exactly why you gave it the rating that you did. I don't mind sex and profanity in a book, so perhaps this book would be a 4 out of 4 stars for me.
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

CommMayo wrote:Great review! Your description of the plot really drew me in and I like that you explained exactly why you gave it the rating that you did. I don't mind sex and profanity in a book, so perhaps this book would be a 4 out of 4 stars for me.
Thanks for checking out my review and your warm comments. I'm sure you'll really enjoy Yesterday if you choose to read! ?
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I liked your description of Amanda. I thought she was justified for her behavior because of all that she had been through, but wanted her to have a more adult attitude toward Mark. Seemed like she was a bit of a yo-yo with him. Nice review. Thanks.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

I just began reading the book and I have to agree with you wholeheartedly! The characters are written so well, it is easy to fall into their stories and thoughts. Very nice review. You were very clear and concise with your thoughts. :)
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

kdstrack wrote: 26 Jan 2018, 06:46 I liked your description of Amanda. I thought she was justified for her behavior because of all that she had been through, but wanted her to have a more adult attitude toward Mark. Seemed like she was a bit of a yo-yo with him. Nice review. Thanks.
I agree! Thanks for checking out my review!
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:03 I just began reading the book and I have to agree with you wholeheartedly! The characters are written so well, it is easy to fall into their stories and thoughts. Very nice review. You were very clear and concise with your thoughts. :)
Thanks for checking out my review! Have fun reading! Maybe you could check in later and tell me what you'd rate it? :)
Cecilia 3878
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Cecilia 3878 »

I just completed this book and i too was drawn in by the reincarnation factor of Mark and Amanda. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it!
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

Cecilia 3878 wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 09:17 I just completed this book and i too was drawn in by the reincarnation factor of Mark and Amanda. All in all I thoroughly enjoyed it!
It definitely kept me guessing! I'm glad you enjoyed the novel and thanks for checking out my review. :)
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

ladycraic wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 00:05
AnnaKathleen wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 20:03 I just began reading the book and I have to agree with you wholeheartedly! The characters are written so well, it is easy to fall into their stories and thoughts. Very nice review. You were very clear and concise with your thoughts. :)
Thanks for checking out my review! Have fun reading! Maybe you could check in later and tell me what you'd rate it? :)
I ended up liking it but gave it a 2. I didn't mind the adult content too much at first, but it just kept showing up and it kind of lessened the fun of reading. I loved, loved, loved the historical flashbacks. I ended up wishing it was all flashbacks because I wasn't as invested in the modern day parts lol :oops:
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

AnnaKathleen wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 08:26
ladycraic wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 00:05
I ended up liking it but gave it a 2. I didn't mind the adult content too much at first, but it just kept showing up and it kind of lessened the fun of reading. I loved, loved, loved the historical flashbacks. I ended up wishing it was all flashbacks because I wasn't as invested in the modern day parts lol :oops:
Haha, I get what you mean with the adult content. The flashbacks were definitely my favorite parts as well! It would be super cool if there was a "flashback version" of the book - I just enjoyed the characters over there a ton. It doesn't help that I love historical fiction novels.
AnnaKathleen

Post by AnnaKathleen »

ladycraic wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 11:05
AnnaKathleen wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 08:26
ladycraic wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 00:05 Thanks for checking out my review! Have fun reading! Maybe you could check in later and tell me what you'd rate it? :)
Haha, I get what you mean with the adult content. The flashbacks were definitely my favorite parts as well! It would be super cool if there was a "flashback version" of the book - I just enjoyed the characters over there a ton. It doesn't help that I love historical fiction novels.
My thoughts exactly! I would have loved nothing but flashbacks lol
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

I completely agree with this review 100%! That's exactly how I felt when I read it and there were some scenes that I struggled with because of the sexual nature. Though I did feel like the MC's were a little cookie cutter, but I loved everyone else.
ladycraic

Post by ladycraic »

maggiechap wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:35 I completely agree with this review 100%! That's exactly how I felt when I read it and there were some scenes that I struggled with because of the sexual nature. Though I did feel like the MC's were a little cookie cutter, but I loved everyone else.
I just realized I never responded to this lovely comment! It's nice to hear that you agreed with my review :) I don't opt for books that are sexual in nature but Yesterday was still a fun read! Ah, the "historical" characters were my favorite!
maggiechap
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggiechap.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by maggiechap »

ladycraic wrote: 19 May 2018, 16:13
maggiechap wrote: 24 Mar 2018, 19:35 I completely agree with this review 100%! That's exactly how I felt when I read it and there were some scenes that I struggled with because of the sexual nature. Though I did feel like the MC's were a little cookie cutter, but I loved everyone else.
I just realized I never responded to this lovely comment! It's nice to hear that you agreed with my review :) I don't opt for books that are sexual in nature but Yesterday was still a fun read! Ah, the "historical" characters were my favorite!
It seems to be the consensus. I have yet to see a review where someone didn't love the book, especially the historical aspects.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”