Review by Rayasaurus -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Review by Rayasaurus -- Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga bo...

Post by Rayasaurus »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Solaris Seethes is a science fiction novel crossed with flashes of fantasy elements. In it, Janet McNulty shows the exciting tale of five people—four humans and an alien. The story begins as Rynah, a Lanyran who has recently become engaged, faces the destruction of her planet at the hands of her fiancé. After barely escaping with her life in a spaceship programmed with a sassy, opinionated AI, she picks up four humans from different time periods in an effort to follow a prophecy that just might keep the universe from being destroyed. They set off across the galaxies to collect the crystals that can destroy or create universes when combined. Will they be able to collect them before Klanor, Rynah’s bitter ex-fiancé who is trying to destroy them all?

My absolute favorite part of this book is the variety in the characters. Rynah is a rough-and-tumble kind of woman with a stubborn streak and a tendency to judge both people and situations a little too quickly. Brie, on the other hand, is a teenaged human girl who is both incredibly brave in some moments and cowardly in others. Alfric is a brawny Viking with a hilarious attachment to his sword and a penchant for rushing his opponents before thinking. Tom is a tinkering inventor with an amazing sense of awe, and Solon is far wiser than his mere 17 years. Each character has quirks and habits that really make them come alive. In addition to the excellent characters, each of the worlds the characters experience is unique in its challenges, wildlife, and environment.

The only thing I could possibly list as something I disliked about the book is that the ending felt a little rushed. However, as this book is the first book of a series, it makes sense that the ending may not be as conclusive as it would be in a standalone book.

Because I only had a very minor issue with the conclusion of the novel and the rest of it is excellent, I rate Solaris Seethes 4 out of 4. The characters, the world, and the plot are all fun and entertaining, and McNulty really breathes life into the world with her words. Additionally, there are cute pictures exhibited in many of the chapters that I ended up enjoying despite my initial impression of them. There is so much to like about this book that I cannot help but to give it a perfect rating.

This book is an excellent choice for teenagers or young adults, especially those who love adventures crossing worlds. I would not recommend this book for anyone who is sensitive toward death, injury, or references to rape and prostitution. However, these references are very brief and fairly vague. There is also no profanity or sexual content that is anything more than a passing reference.

Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

Haha, you've just gotta love some sassy and opinionated AI! And the phrase "Four humans and an alien" step onto a planet... well that could be the start of a great joke I think. Really enjoyed your review, and the complex character variety sounds like a bonus indeed!
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I’ve seen a couple reviews that agree with you about the ending being rushed in this book. The characters sound so fun to me though! I love the diverse mix of different ages and origins. Great review!
Rayasaurus

Post by Rayasaurus »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 17:52 Haha, you've just gotta love some sassy and opinionated AI! And the phrase "Four humans and an alien" step onto a planet... well that could be the start of a great joke I think. Really enjoyed your review, and the complex character variety sounds like a bonus indeed!
It really could be the start of a great joke, haha! Thank you for stopping by to comment!
Rayasaurus

Post by Rayasaurus »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 15:02 I’ve seen a couple reviews that agree with you about the ending being rushed in this book. The characters sound so fun to me though! I love the diverse mix of different ages and origins. Great review!
Thank you for your comment!
Abbie L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbie-l.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Abbie L »

I also loved the variety of characters. It allows readers to find a character who they relate to the most and really get into the book. This book was very entertaining, good review!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”