Review by Wyland -- Of Zots and Xoodles

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Review by Wyland -- Of Zots and Xoodles

Post by Wyland »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Of Zots and Xoodles" by Zarqnon the Embarrassed.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Since time immemorial, man has mooted many different theories on the origins of our universe. Now, many years later, things, like the Big Bang theory, you may have assumed to be true might be false, thanks to a revelation advanced by Zarqnon the Embarrassed in his book Of Zots and Xoodles. Of utmost importance, though, is that if this cosmic event has been shrouded in mystery ever since, it’s not the “creator” to blame but the incredulity of the numerous witnesses who had been invited to the event to help proclaim it.

Apart from the witnesses (the “committee” or the “crowd”) and the “creator,” Theodil, we have other players, like the “child” and the “Internuncio.” It appears the “child” gets Theodil’s juices flowing while the “Internuncio” does nothing but announce to the “crowd” what has been created, even though the “crowd” is in attendance the whole time! Before time, space, and matter, I got to learn how Theodil conceptualized the first simple life forms before progressing into more complex ones (Xoodles).

All in all, Theodil emerges as a character who is patient and long-suffering whilst dealing with the dissenting voices. He avoids destruction as it proves nothing in itself; instead, he realizes that that which opposes “is necessary for the balance.” As the narrative unravels, it dawned on me that the “crowd’s” dissension is not limited or focused on anything in particular. Sadly, unlike the “child,” due to the hardness of the heart, the “crowd” will never understand the ways of the “creator.” Moreover, it amused me to discern who the “crowd” is.

So, in a derisive tone, Zarqnon exposes the foolhardiness of the “crowd.” While the “creator” is demonstrating his technique, for example, some of them (unknowingly?) face the wrong direction; not to mention, they are already distracted even before the show begins. Nevertheless, this doesn’t stop them from expressing a strong opinion on anything touching on creation.

As it was, Zarqnon’s writing is inventive and with a cryptic message, and it can easily be dismissed as illogical. Far from the truth, however, Zargnon’s writing is engrossing because it engages the mind logically. As was the case with me, it may take more than one reading to understand what he’s driving at. Luckily, this is easily doable as the book is short.

As I finish, there’s absolutely nothing I disliked about this book: it’s well-edited and the subject is stimulating and contemporary. As a result, I rate it 4 out of 4 stars.

At only 47 pages long, this is one of the best philosophical books I have ever read. I recommend it to those who want a book to stimulate their intellectual muscles and help them in some soul searching.

Of Zots and Xoodles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I've been interested in this book for a while, but for the life of me I couldn't grasp what was going on. Maybe it does take several readings to fully understand. Thanks for the review, it makes me eager to try this one out again sometime!
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Tomah wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 14:01 I've been interested in this book for a while, but for the life of me I couldn't grasp what was going on. Maybe it does take several readings to fully understand. Thanks for the review, it makes me eager to try this one out again sometime!
The author really is the master of the absurd, but the message is there for those who seek. Thanks for your wonderful comments!
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

This book would definitely have my mind working overtime, which I wouldn't mind right now. That it was superbly edited is a plus. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review!
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I read Zots and Xoodles, as well and had a hard time grasping it. The physical manipulations of the elements he creates was confusing for me when trying to picture the setting of the book.
You wrote a really comprehensive description of the book, nice review!
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

I’ve thought about reading this one so many times, but haven’t picked it up just yet. It seems really complicated, but I’m sure I could understand it after a read or two. Thank you for the review!
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I've been hesitant to select this book for review because I'm afraid it might have some distorting theories about the origin of the universe. But your review gives me a reason to consider the book. Thanks
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

This sounds like a very interesting book and am willing to give it a go. I was wondering what it was all about, thanks for clarifying it all Wyland. Fantastic review.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

I'm also transfixed about the different creation theories, but I love reading from different sources and try to reason with those sources.
I think I'll pick this one.
Great review.
Bet on Me! :idea:
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I've read and reviewed this book. I like the creativity in his proposal on the origin of the universe. Thanks for the review.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Ever_Reading wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 07:02 This book would definitely have my mind working overtime, which I wouldn't mind right now. That it was superbly edited is a plus. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Great review!
Thanks for your kind comments!
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Reynaa wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 08:39 I read Zots and Xoodles, as well and had a hard time grasping it. The physical manipulations of the elements he creates was confusing for me when trying to picture the setting of the book.
You wrote a really comprehensive description of the book, nice review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Rayasaurus wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 10:14 I’ve thought about reading this one so many times, but haven’t picked it up just yet. It seems really complicated, but I’m sure I could understand it after a read or two. Thank you for the review!
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Nerea wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 04:05 I've been hesitant to select this book for review because I'm afraid it might have some distorting theories about the origin of the universe. But your review gives me a reason to consider the book. Thanks
Thanks for the kind comments!
Wyland
Currently Reading:

Post by Wyland »

Falconcrest wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 01:47 This sounds like a very interesting book and am willing to give it a go. I was wondering what it was all about, thanks for clarifying it all Wyland. Fantastic review.
Thanks for the kind comments Falconcrest!

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”