Review by Nisha Ward -- Mythic Worlds and the One You Ca...

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Review by Nisha Ward -- Mythic Worlds and the One You Ca...

Post by Nisha Ward »

[Following is a volunteer review of "Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In" by Harold Toliver.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Hello, dear reader, and welcome to this review of Mythic Worlds and the Once You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver. Before we begin, let’s have a story, shall we?

Once upon a time, there was a lovely 19 year old who decided that what she really wanted most in the world was a degree in English Literature. She studied for years and years, sometime in that period trying and failing to read Derrida’s Of Grammatology.

Why do I bring that period of my life up?

Well, dear reader, trying to read Mythic Worlds was very much like trying to read Of Grammatology. Granted, I read the entirety of the former instead of the mere few pages of the introduction I read of the latter, of course.

In this, Toliver proposes a deconstruction of the mythology that defines our societal structure. While he does reference Judeo-Christian and Greek mythologies, it’s mostly centred on a very Western, very modern myth-building strategy as its used to justify war and conflict. In fact, Toliver builds the narrative from an examination of mythology’s role in communication up to the role it played in the war in Iraq and beyond.

Reader, I fear this is where I must tell you that this is not an easy read, nor is it light. Toliver often gets lost in the details of his own musings, choosing to philosophise and speculate with very little in the way of satisfactory evidence to support his theories. While his list of references is impressive, it feels as if he refers to the same handful of experts in every chapter. As such, the book becomes repetitive and boring after a while, making it quite a difficult work to get through.

In addition to that, it felt like much of the book could have been compressed into single chapters as they covered similar topics over a range. Dividing them into distinct sections of the text helped to keep these areas of discourse together, but in doing so, the repetition was exacerbated to a greater extent. For example, chapters four, five and six examine why people choose to believe the myths they’re fed by society, but rarely is anything new offered after chapter four.

However, I would be remiss not to point out that I don’t think this is a book for a general audience. Too much of the prose is oriented towards abstract and conceptual theories that are better expounded upon in a university setting. As such, it offers some interesting insight into the means, modes and reasons for communication and how it shapes society in a manner that would be useful to students of the social and behavioural sciences.

While Toliver’s work is hard to get into, it is nonetheless quite thorough and informative but the repetition, lack of readability on the part of a general audience and the numerous errors I found along the way force me to rate this at 2 out of 4 stars. I’ll also end here with a heavy recommendation that this be geared towards students and academics.

Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
View: on Bookshelves
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Sounds like quite a feat! I appreciate your honest comments. It does seem that people prefer to believe myths. This is easier than taking the time to reflect and weigh the logical (or illogical) outcome of the beliefs we hold. Unfortunately, a heavy read like this one will not motivate people to spend more time revising their beliefs/myths to see just what they are supporting! Thanks for your review of this book. I enjoyed your story!
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

I truly enjoy your review. However, I am not a fan of this genre. I think people who like heavy reading, myths and different beliefs will really enjoy this one.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

aolayide wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 14:10 I truly enjoy your review. However, I am not a fan of this genre. I think people who like heavy reading, myths and different beliefs will really enjoy this one.
Understandable. It is pretty heavy work to deal with.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

kdstrack wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 12:06 Sounds like quite a feat! I appreciate your honest comments. It does seem that people prefer to believe myths. This is easier than taking the time to reflect and weigh the logical (or illogical) outcome of the beliefs we hold. Unfortunately, a heavy read like this one will not motivate people to spend more time revising their beliefs/myths to see just what they are supporting! Thanks for your review of this book. I enjoyed your story!
Yep. That is the downside to Toliver's work. It's a difficult read outside of an academic setting, so it might not necessarily promote self-reflection in that area.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Better you than me! I don't think I could have gotten through the tome as well as you did.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

CommMayo wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 13:39 Better you than me! I don't think I could have gotten through the tome as well as you did.
It helps that I just finished my undergrad degree. I was still in that state of mind.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 13:58 It helps that I just finished my undergrad degree. I was still in that state of mind.
Congratulations! When I got out of undergrad and a few years later graduate school, I just binged on fiction novels for months! I needed the brain erase :-)
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

:!2:
CommMayo wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 15:19
Nisha Ward wrote: 20 Jun 2019, 13:58 It helps that I just finished my undergrad degree. I was still in that state of mind.
Congratulations! When I got out of undergrad and a few years later graduate school, I just binged on fiction novels for months! I needed the brain erase :-)
Thanks!
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This does not sound like a book that I would enjoy, but I'm glad you were able to get through it. Thank you for an honest and well-written review!
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Prisallen wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 08:39 This does not sound like a book that I would enjoy, but I'm glad you were able to get through it. Thank you for an honest and well-written review!
Thanks for stopping by!
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I like the way you presented your review, it was unique. I really did not enjoy this book either, it is rambling and abrasive. But yes, the sheer amount of research was impressive.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

thaservices1 wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 12:25 I like the way you presented your review, it was unique. I really dnid not enjoy this book either, it is rambling and abrasive. But yes, the sheer amount of research was impressive.
It really was. Did you find it to be as repetitive as I did?
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I was wondering why your cat had glassy eyes. Did you let her read the book?

At least this book fared better than Of Grammatology.
Nisha Ward
Currently Reading:

Post by Nisha Ward »

Miriam Molina wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 04:38 I was wondering why your cat had glassy eyes. Did you let her read the book?

At least this book fared better than Of Grammatology.
Not my kitty but she must have been. Also, yes, it did but just barely.

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”