October Genre Discussion 2016

For October 2016, we will be reading a semi-Halloween theme: Horror/Supernatural.
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

October Genre Discussion 2016

Post by kio »

It's been one year since we've doing the genre discussions, so we're starting over. It's October, so we're going with a semi-Halloween theme: Horror/Supernatural. I'll post in a few days a help guide for this genre.

What book did you read? Did you like/dislike it? Would you recommend it? What do you like/dislike about Horror/Supernatural?
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The book of the month, "Unspeakable Acts", which I read & reviewed fits perfectly.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
rachel_bruhn
Favorite Author: Lemony Snicket
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons (A Song of Ice and Fire #1)
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-jacks.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
Publishing Contest Votes: 9
fav_author_id: 5004

Post by rachel_bruhn »

The Stillwell Haunting book I reviewed is a horror/supernatural novel. I enjoyed it overall, although I was hoping for more of your typical ghost story features. I felt it was more historical fiction than horror. Regardless, I would still recommend it to others.

I find that I prefer watching horror films to reading horror novels. Of the novels I have read in this genre, none of them are as easy to get lost in as movies or shows. Usually I find it difficult to pull myself away from a good book, getting lost in the reality it presents. However, I do not find this same pull with horror novels and I am not sure why.
Journey beyond the jacket.
K1V990
Currently Reading: Under the Harrow
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-k1v990.html

Post by K1V990 »

I've not read many that are considered horror/supernatural, but I would definitely be interested in reading from that genre. I guess the closest I came was Stelhen King's Salem's Lot, and his collection of short stories, Night Shift. I much preferred his short stories! :shhh:
kio

Post by kio »

I recently read Brotherhood of the Wheel by R.S. Belcher. This is definitely one that crosses into supernatural and horror.

Imagine if every urban legend or myth you grew up hearing was true? Like the Zodiac killer was really a group of people? Or, the vanishing hitchhiker is a ghost with unfinished business? When a vanishing hitchhiker gets a ride from Jimmy, he is duty-bound as a Knight Templar to figure out why the hitchhiker hasn't moved on. As he delves into her disappearance, he realizes that there is something much more sinister and supernatural behind her death. A being known as "the Horned Man" has abducted and created black-eyed children to help him take over the world. If anyone witnesses his "hunt" of these children, they too disappear. And now, the Horned Man is determined to show footage of his "hunt" all over television as part of the takeover. Who really is the Horned Man? Can Jimmy stop him in time to save the world?

This book definitely has the creepy factor going for it. It invokes fear through supernatural means and keeps the reader in suspense much like traditional horror. Its ending is slightly ambiguous like traditional horror and is an intense read. The characters are entertaining and well developed. I'd give this book 4 out of 4 stars and highly recommend it to anyone.
tabatha1988
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by tabatha1988 »

I just finished reading Dr. Sleep by Stephen King. It's the sequel (finally!) to The Shining. It depicts Dan Torrance as an adult. I really enjoyed this book and would recommend it to anyone who is a fan of the Horror/ Supernatural genre of writing. I won't post a true review here because I don't want to ruin the book for anyone who wants to read it, but I will say that it was definitely worth the 30 year wait to read the rest of Dan's story.
kio

Post by kio »

gali wrote:The book of the month, "Unspeakable Acts", which I read & reviewed fits perfectly.
I definitely agree. That book met all the requirements I see for horror/supernatural :)
chateau_buoy
Currently Reading: A Dance with Dragons
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chateau-buoy.html

Post by chateau_buoy »

I can't wait to start the Bad Girls Don't Die series. Has anyone on this forum read them?
kio

Post by kio »

chateau_buoy wrote:I can't wait to start the Bad Girls Don't Die series. Has anyone on this forum read them?
It's been a while, but I remember I liked it a lot.
Mannie913
Currently Reading: Sweep Volume 3
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mannie913.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mannie913 »

I've been reading sweep by Cate Tiernan. It's about a normal high-school girl, Morgan, who meets a new guy, Cal, at school who then in turn introduces her to Wicca. Through her experimenting with it, she founds out she's a blood witch and the only parents that she's ever known are not biological. Her biological mother was burned as a witch.

I love it so far. It's got a steady, fast pace. Not as descriptive as I would like with has the romance between Cal and Morgan. She explains that they are in love but I really just can't connect and feel how much they love each other. Which the blood witches love is supposed to be supernaturally strong.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

kio wrote:
gali wrote:The book of the month, "Unspeakable Acts", which I read & reviewed fits perfectly.
I definitely agree. That book met all the requirements I see for horror/supernatural :)
I read Unspeakable Acts as well for Spooky Month! Even with its need for a good editing, it was very addicting to read. I really enjoyed reading about Martha's past and how messed up she was when she was a kid. It explained a lot during her haunting days! I ended up rating it a 3/4 stars.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Sindhu Srinath
Currently Reading: Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 272
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sindhu-srinath.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: B06Y66GMC5

Post by Sindhu Srinath »

I'm not a big fan of horror. It spooks me for a long time after I read. So I really need a clear and open mind (and a lot of lights!) while reading. It's hard to judge this genre, because if it's a good read, it'll definitely haunt me ( :D ). Good luck for all those aspiring writers out there; I hope that you don't get goosebumps while writing!
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by elivia05 »

A great book for the horror genre is undoubtedly The Shining by Stephen King. Most Stephen King books are great to read around Halloween.

Return to “October 2016 Genre Discussion”