Unspeakable Acts-- What do you like most and like least?

Discuss the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Unspeakable Acts-- What do you like most and like least?

Post by Scott »

This is a discussion topic for the October 2016 Book of the Month, Unspeakable Acts by Janet Leigh Green. Be careful reading this discussion before reading the book because this topic may contain spoilers.

What do you like most about Unspeakable Acts? What do you like least or think could have been improved?
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

I really liked the characters and the whole paranormal jig. I love books like that so it caught my interest well. In the beginning, I was a little meh about the whole 'sex with a ghost' portion of the book, but as the book progressed, I could see how it tied into that part. I didn't like how the author used their words. Just the way they wrote, made me feel kinda iffy about it and it sounded a bit amateur. Another thing I didn't like was the love plot between Charlie and Doug. It moved a bit fast and I thin the author could have stretched out their love a bit more. It was like they saw each other and bang they fell in love. It was kinda cringy the way they talked to each other too.
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I love constructive criticism because it helps me to grow. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the book. This book is going through a second edit and Book-2 is coming soon. I am taking all of your comments to heart as I write! Thanks again!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I reviewed this book recently, and I was so happy with how the story turned out. I enjoyed reading the part of the story about the history of what had happened in the home the most. I partially agree with the post above, in that I was not a fan of how quickly the relationship moved along with Charlie and Doug, but it did add a little something extra to the story.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Janetleighgreen

klbradley wrote:I reviewed this book recently, and I was so happy with how the story turned out. I enjoyed reading the part of the story about the history of what had happened in the home the most. I partially agree with the post above, in that I was not a fan of how quickly the relationship moved along with Charlie and Doug, but it did add a little something extra to the story.
I appreciate the feedback, thank you so much. I loved the Charlie and Doug relationship while I was writing it and it was fun getting them together. :D
alwaysdaddygirl
Currently Reading: The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alwaysdaddygirl.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01DAJTINW

Post by alwaysdaddygirl »

I love this book! The art on this book rocks for horror lovers! Most horror lovers love dark art stuff. If your trying to market horror crowd, Kudos!!? Some horror lovers would want more horror. If I may suggest. Google 'signs you are horror lover,' etc. It will make more sense after reading that, why this cover rocks for horror.

The history part is interesting. Sex stuff was nothing compared to others books. The only creepy thing about sex stuff is who the ghost was. That is the only change. The only way I see the sex stuff as bad are those who have not truly heal from rape or a love one experience. With sex, everyone has there own cup of tea.

For me, I can never get enough history. I think the history in here is good. I love library parts. It makes you cherish your library more. That certain librarian character is like what most librarians are like. I have work in a library. I also have volunteer at a library. Lastly, libraries are like my second home. I know not only the staff but some of the staff families. When you spend time in libraries, bonds form.

For love romance, I have no problem with it. I had several dances with the grim reaper in my past. So many dances that we are like best buddies. Life is short. Cherish it. Dance with life. If you trying to market folks who seen life truly evil ways, this book would probably drawn them.

That only the start of how this book rocks! So waiting for book two.

??
"Death ends a life, not a relationship."
Mitch Albom
🦋
Janetleighgreen

alwaysdaddygirl wrote:I love this book! The art on this book rocks for horror lovers! Most horror lovers love dark art stuff. If your trying to market horror crowd, Kudos!!? Some horror lovers would want more horror. If I may suggest. Google 'signs you are horror lover,' etc. It will make more sense after reading that, why this cover rocks for horror.

The history part is interesting. Sex stuff was nothing compared to others books. The only creepy thing about sex stuff is who the ghost was. That is the only change. The only way I see the sex stuff as bad are those who have not truly heal from rape or a love one experience. With sex, everyone has there own cup of tea.

Thank you! I appreciate your kind words. I hope you like book 2, it will be out soon, I hope! It's still a work in progress and all of your comments are helping me tremendously!
For me, I can never get enough history. I think the history in here is good. I love library parts. It makes you cherish your library more. That certain librarian character is like what most librarians are like. I have work in a library. I also have volunteer at a library. Lastly, libraries are like my second home. I know not only the staff but some of the staff families. When you spend time in libraries, bonds form.

For love romance, I have no problem with it. I had several dances with the grim reaper in my past. So many dances that we are like best buddies. Life is short. Cherish it. Dance with life. If you trying to market folks who seen life truly evil ways, this book would probably drawn them.

That only the start of how this book rocks! So waiting for book two.

??
-- 01 Oct 2016, 21:51 --

Well, I don't know where my comments went for that quote. Lol!
I just said thank you for your comments. I do hope you like book 2. It should be out soon, but it's a work in progress and all of your comments are helping me tremendously!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I also read and reviewed the book. I loved the book and found it original. I agree the relationship between the couple developed a bit too fast, but I wasn't bothered by that. My only issue with the book was the editing, otherwise it would have got full marks.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen

gali wrote:I also read and reviewed the book. I loved the book and found it original. I agree the relationship between the couple developed a bit too fast, but I wasn't bothered by that. My only issue with the book was the editing, otherwise it would have got full marks.
Thank you Gali! It's going through a second edit right now! I hired a new editor. I hope to get one more review from you guys when that's done! I hope to pull off a 4/4 yet!!!
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Janetleighgreen wrote:
gali wrote:I also read and reviewed the book. I loved the book and found it original. I agree the relationship between the couple developed a bit too fast, but I wasn't bothered by that. My only issue with the book was the editing, otherwise it would have got full marks.
Thank you Gali! It's going through a second edit right now! I hired a new editor. I hope to get one more review from you guys when that's done! I hope to pull off a 4/4 yet!!!
Cool! I am looking forward for it. I got attached to the characters. Good luck! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Janetleighgreen

Thank you! ?
queeennnkatie
Currently Reading: Bared to You
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-queeennnkatie.html

Post by queeennnkatie »

Janetleighgreen wrote:Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I love constructive criticism because it helps me to grow. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the book. This book is going through a second edit and Book-2 is coming soon. I am taking all of your comments to heart as I write! Thanks again!
I enjoyed the whole book, don't get me wrong. I read the whole book in about 3 days so it obviously caught my attention. But good luck on your second book, I'm 100% sure i'll enjoy it!!!!
"Sometimes you lose a battle. But mischief always wins the war."
- John Green, Looking for Alaska
Janetleighgreen

queeennnkatie wrote:
Janetleighgreen wrote:Thank you so much for your valuable feedback. I love constructive criticism because it helps me to grow. I'm glad you enjoyed some of the book. This book is going through a second edit and Book-2 is coming soon. I am taking all of your comments to heart as I write! Thanks again!
I enjoyed the whole book, don't get me wrong. I read the whole book in about 3 days so it obviously caught my attention. But good luck on your second book, I'm 100% sure i'll enjoy it!!!!
I'm so glad you liked it. I wanted to have Despicable Witch out by Halloween, but it's not going to happen that quick. I don't want to rush, I want it to be as good as it can be. Thank you again for the feedback!
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

It's been about a month since I first read the book so I will speak generally. I liked the plot, the characters, the way the reader was just pulled in. All of it was well rounded, and nicely flowed together.

The alternate ending was the only thing that I did not care for. I already knew what happened, and so rereading what happened up to the climax was just not cutting it for me.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I know that the author reads these posts, and so I am very hesitant to say anything bad here. But there is something in this book that irked me enough that I'm doing it anyway.
The ghost is a rapist.
The raped women 'like' it.
The only one who is properly motivated by this rape is a man (e.g. Doug, pg 75).
Rape has been used in books and movies far too often as exclusively a motivation for male characters.
This bothers me, especially once I put words to the problem.
Not sure if I can like this book.
Sorry.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Return to “"Unspeakable Acts" by Janet Leigh Green”