What's your go-to genre?

For September 2016, it is free choice!
karlpelham
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karlpelham.html

Re: What's your go-to genre?

Post by karlpelham »

My go-to is historical fiction. The author usually does a great deal of research about the time period and won't lead the reader astray on important details. There is usually a romantic situation which always adds something for the reader as well.
macie_felix_felicis

Post by macie_felix_felicis »

My go to's are usually post apocalyptic type or fantasy. It's nice to be able to sink into a different world of either struggle worse than your own to give you better perspective, or to dive into a totally impossible, but beautiful realm of mystery and magic. These sort of books help me when I'm down, or when I thirst for enchantment.
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

Historical fiction is my favorite genre when I feel the need to learn more about something without all the citations and footnotes. If something really piques my interest, I can then go to more academic works to fact check. I like Hilary Mantel's works on English history.

Crime fiction is relaxing for me. As an ex-cop, I like the mysteries and the police procedurals exercised to solve the crime. I put the legal thrillers (Grisham, John, not Grisham, Joshua) in this category. Crime non-fiction tends to depress me; I identify too much with the victims.

Because I am retired military, I like books on special ops and intelligence work. Clancy is great for technical details. Le Carre is excellent for accuracy in describing Human Intelligence (HUMINT) operations.

And then there is the dark stuff. Stephen King is the master. Chuck Wendig and Pahlaniuk can make you feel guilty about what you are reading.

So what is the answer? I detest fence-straddling type answers but here the answer is: It depends on my mood. Have we had morning coffee yet?
Rileymorganw

Post by Rileymorganw »

My book preferences are all over the place I love classics, romance, thriller, and historical. But my go to would have to be fiction and anything with angels in it. I love the fallen angel stories that have a lot of action and romance all mixed in. But also any books that have a lot about Greek mythology in them. I really enjoy reading about that. I took three years of Latin in high school so I know most of the basics so reading is more enjoyable since I already have a firm understanding of the gods and goddesses.
stacy-jolley
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacy-jolley.html

Post by stacy-jolley »

Mystery/Suspense/Thrillers, definitely! Wait! Is that a real genre or is that 3 different genres that I conveniently combined? :lol: I also like reading books with animals as their main character such as "Secretariat" or "The Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant.
Dolph_92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolph-92.html

Post by Dolph_92 »

Horror. I like to critique an author's imagination. I'm normally suggesting things that would make it more horrific or being awed by how the author just blew my mind.
ahk98
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ahk98.html

Post by ahk98 »

I think YA ftw however i enjoy sci fi as well as thrillers :D
pamelaeddowes

Post by pamelaeddowes »

Mine would have to be a tie between romance and fantasy. Both together they keep me reading till the end and I don't want to put the book down. :)
DanielleRBelland1

Post by DanielleRBelland1 »

My go-to topic would definitely be romance. I try to stray away from anything too graphic, like 50 Shades of Grey, but love anything that has a story about love. Lately, I have been interested in started a mystery novel but don't know where to start. My family is obsessed with James Patterson but I have yet to grab hold of one of his stories.
Shermac21
Currently Reading: 30 Pieces of Silver
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shermac21.html

Post by Shermac21 »

My go to is romance. I'm a sucker for happy endings. Also really enjoy mystery or historical fiction.
dosenron877
Currently Reading: Route 66
Bookshelf Size: 439
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dosenron877.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dosenron877 »

DanielleRBelland1 wrote:My go-to topic would definitely be romance. I try to stray away from anything too graphic, like 50 Shades of Grey, but love anything that has a story about love. Lately, I have been interested in started a mystery novel but don't know where to start. My family is obsessed with James Patterson but I have yet to grab hold of one of his stories.
James Patterson is such a prolific writer that I think he writes faster than I can read. He is involved in a project called "Bookshots." These are short stories, typically an hour or so to read. He writes many of the tales himself; he also co-authors a lot of them. if you are real busy and don't want to commit to his longer stuff, this is a way to get your James Patterson fix.
DanielleRBelland1

Post by DanielleRBelland1 »

dosenron877 wrote:
DanielleRBelland1 wrote:My go-to topic would definitely be romance. I try to stray away from anything too graphic, like 50 Shades of Grey, but love anything that has a story about love. Lately, I have been interested in started a mystery novel but don't know where to start. My family is obsessed with James Patterson but I have yet to grab hold of one of his stories.
James Patterson is such a prolific writer that I think he writes faster than I can read. He is involved in a project called "Bookshots." These are short stories, typically an hour or so to read. He writes many of the tales himself; he also co-authors a lot of them. if you are real busy and don't want to commit to his longer stuff, this is a way to get your James Patterson fix.

Thank you! I wasn't aware he was involved with anything like that. I am definitely interested in that. Thanks for the heads up.
unnysoni
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unnysoni.html

Post by unnysoni »

FANTASY!!! I just adore fantasy books, whether it be urban fantasy, or something set in the Victorian Era. I just need that little extra thing, like a slice of life book just doesn't cut it for me, partially the reason why I'm hesitant when it comes to reading YA books.

-- 29 Dec 2016, 22:37 --
Maximum Ride was a childhood favorite of mine! Granted, I haven't read a Maximum Ride book since middle school, but it still has bits of romance in it that you might like, while also pulling you gently into Patterson's works via his most popular YA book series!
Shermac21
Currently Reading: 30 Pieces of Silver
Bookshelf Size: 259
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shermac21.html

Post by Shermac21 »

dosenron877 wrote:
Just an FYI - At least one of James Patterson's Bookshots series books is on sale today for $2 as part of Amazon's digital day sale.
Chesstom

Post by Chesstom »

I'm really in to horror as I love the feeling when your heart beats faster when the protagonist is in danger and temporary relief when it's just his or hers imagination just to jump straight back in again

Return to “September 2016 Genre Discussion”