Greetings everyone

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Greetings everyone

Post by holsam_87 »

Greetings everyone, I'm still fairly new to all of this, otherwise, I would have posted an introduction about myself last month when I first joined. I'm a big reader and consider myself open-minded when it comes to different types of books, but I'm also honest about things that I do and don't like. This is an exciting opportunity considering that I can now converse with others that love books as much as myself.

First off, I'm Samantha or Sam and I really discovered my love for books when I read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. Reading this gave me a chance to escape boring life and live vicariously through Harry, Ron, and Hermione as they began their adventures. I'm not saying that I didn't enjoy reading up to that point, it's just the fact that these characters were around my age and therefore easier to make connections with them. Plus, there was the fact that I had some physical difficulties to overcome as a child, and reading about these characters and their struggles was a great outlet for myself.

The other thing is that I really enjoy reading as a way to have discussions with people and finding ways to interpret books differently than say my peers or children that I'm working with. It gives me insight into how a person is thinking metacognitively. While I do enjoy discussing books with my friends, we tend to be very like-minded in how we interpret books, so being on here will be beneficial to me in the regard of having good, thought-provoking discussions. So, if any of you wish to recommend me a book based on that idea, then, by all means, please do.

Other than being a book reviewer, I work three other part-time jobs currently. I work at my local school district as a substitute Para-Educator where I work with students of varying skill levels and they are preschool aged to Seniors in high school. I am a substitute Home Care Aide and I recently got certified by the state so that I could continue working with my clients. The last job that I do is that I work as a dog sitter through Rover.com, where I can make connections with pet owners and provide services such as drop-ins, house sitting, and walking.

I realize that I have a lot going on, but I would rather be busy than not. I really look forward to the opportunities that are presented. I'm also excited the prospect of free books and discounts at the price of providing good, honest reviews. Sounds pretty reasonable to do that.

If anyone would like to know more, please ask. I feel that I'm little more willing to express my thoughts and opinions through my words. However, I probably wouldn't be as forthcoming if the questions were asked face to face because I'm an introvert and tend to be really quiet in groups. However, asking questions won't hurt, so please do so and I will answer them to the best of my ability.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Nice introduction! Welcome to the site! :)
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Thank you, I look forward to reading books and discussing them with all the members here.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Return to “Introductions”