Welcome to the forums!

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
BNSFJeff
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Welcome to the forums!

Post by BNSFJeff »

Hello book lovers. I would like to introduce myself as a new member. I am a retired political science professor (25 years at Kent State University, Ph. D. from University of Wisconsin) and published author. Even though I am retired, I continue to be interested in American government and politics and write about it. My latest book was just self-published on Amazon.

If you are concerned about the future of American democracy, we should talk.
Last edited by gali on 11 Mar 2020, 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Self-promoting
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Please read this thread: Links and Info for New Members. :text-welcomewave:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Bingaux

Post by Bingaux »

Greetings:

I have been an avid reader more than 60 years and hope to find a comfortable niche here.
iwrules2

Post by iwrules2 »

Just starting out. I hope to increase my reading and I hope this is the place... we shall see.
Samckeon

Post by Samckeon »

Hi I'm SAM, love reading and looking forward to being able to review new books. Thanks.
Tony1012

Post by Tony1012 »

Hello I’m tony , love to read books every once in a while but am looking forward to reviewing new books.
Reviewer61
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewer61.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Reviewer61 »

I everyone. I love to read all books but my favorite reads are fantasy fiction and, in non-fiction, books concerning history. I myself want to become a writer of fiction and hope to glean some good information from this community. I also, hope to help those that do write with any reviews they wish. Viva La Reading Revolution!
barbleib
Currently Reading: House of Eire
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by barbleib »

Hello Everyone:
I am a member of the book club at church. I enjoy reading. This opportunity to review books and get paid after approval fits me for some part time work.
Tamara Menteer

Post by Tamara Menteer »

Hello to Online Book Review! I am Tamara Menteer. I am a recovering writer with boxes of stories awaiting edits. I hit a wall years ago, but recently wanted to start writing again only to find myself ready to clean a room, wash a pile of dishes or give the dog a wash - even pick up doggy poo, rather than open that box of unfinished short stories. Rather than forcing my inner child to get to work, I feel I should approach the art from a different angle. Studying how other writers write is, well, a way to move forward. I figure I might be able to trick myself into wanting to write this way. My adventure begins now!
kvaadk
Currently Reading: Down To Dirt
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by kvaadk »

Tamara Menteer wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 13:25 " wanted to start writing again only to find myself ready to clean a room, wash a pile of dishes or give the dog a wash - even pick up doggy poo, rather than open that box of unfinished short stories. ... Studying how other writers write is, well, a way to move forward. I figure I might be able to trick myself into wanting to write this way. My adventure begins now!

Hi, Tamara.
I'm not an award-winning writer (nor expert in much of anything, really), but in the 33 years between my first determination to write and my first short story sale, I was where you are a dozen times. Here's a couple of things I figured out that may or may not be of any use to you.

First: None of the stories in the boxes are as good as you remember. Why? Because your subconscious has been working on those stories for years. What you now "remember" has been refined and polished beyond what it was. The actual words on paper may be disappointing, and the frustrating effort of trying to transform them into what your memory created can be deadening. The Sisyphean effort will sap your energy and stifle your joy. If there's a story in that box that you know needs to be told, tell it. Not the way you did then, when you were still finding your way, but the way you can now. Don't even look at your original effort. Start with your vision and a blank page and tell the story anew.

Second: Don't "study" writers. Read. Read as a reader, not a writer. Just read. And if, six months later, a scene or a story or a bit of dialog still haunt you, go back and analyse -- figure out how that writer moved you. Then use what you figure out to move your readers.
happychupacabra

Post by happychupacabra »

Hi, I'm new to this site. looking forward to reading and reviewing books. I am an avid reader and love sharing books with others.
Jhld_4

Post by Jhld_4 »

Hey everyone. I just joined today and I'm super excited to be able to read and review books. Hope to learn a lot from this experience
NSAD127

Post by NSAD127 »

Salutations! In my past time I frequently read. I find it an enjoyable pastime and revel in the idea of stimulating my mind. I also find it fun to read sub par books and think about what could have been done better. The idea of expressing my thoughts and putting them out there sounds appealing.
Ceeline104

Post by Ceeline104 »

Hi! I'm new here.
I am a mom of a 13 year-old boy and 2 cats, Magic & Zap. I found this site by accident. I loved to read! Fiction is my favorite.
Austentatious

Post by Austentatious »

Hey guys! My work is shut down due to COVID-19, and I've already cleaned my whole house lol.
I'm an extroverted server who also loves to read and write. Being a waitress I meet new people every day and I miss that. Thus, I think it will be nice to pass the qaurentine reading books and conversing on thr contents with strangers.

Return to “Introductions”