Welcome to the forums!

Hello new reader! Say hi to all the other readers here. Please put all "intro" and "hello" threads in this forum. Tell us a little about yourself. What's your favorite book? Posts made in this forum do not increase new members' post counts.
Adila bano12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Welcome to the forums!

Post by Adila bano12 »

Hello everyone I am new here. I am a 24, female and a nurse. I love reading. Came across this forum by chance and hoping to enjoy this site.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Please read the FAQ and this thread: Links and Info for New Members. :text-welcomeconfetti:
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
IntrestedReader

Post by IntrestedReader »

Hello I hope I'm doing this right, I'm always looking for something new to read, I enjoy reading very much. Thank you for having me.
Nova21
Currently Reading:

Post by Nova21 »

Hello,

I am an avid mystery reader. In my free time, I love reading anything that keeps me guessing and trying to figure out the ending. I cannot wait to get started!
Robin-71
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by Robin-71 »

Hello everyone, I love to read and believe this is the perfect place to do it!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

Please read the FAQ and this thread: Links and Info for New Members. :text-welcomeconfetti:
A retired Admin/Mod

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Kessler83

Post by Kessler83 »

Hello everyone. My name is David. I signed on this evening and I'm excited that I've joined your group. I love to read thrillers and a real good "who dunnit" book. I wrote a book in school, but it was child's play compared to professional writers. Hope to get into some real good debates and discussions with everyone. Have a good evening!
Asofia98
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Asofia98 »

Hello! My name is Ana Sofía, I'm 21 years old, almost 22.
I'm studying Pharmaceutical Chemistry at college, 3rd year already. I like to be productive on my spare time; I meditate, exercise, and also what better than to read a good book. So, here I am. Looking forward to write some nice discussions. A pleasure! :)
L-A-B
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-a-b.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by L-A-B »

Looking forward to exploring the site and continuing the lifelong reading journey. Fairly wide interest in topics including business, sci-fi, biographies, some fantasy, politics, etc. Biggest reading weakness...I will finish reading a book even after I have lost interest in the topic (excludes science, dissertations and books that I pick for a particular chapter).
NerdyVicky
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdyvicky.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by NerdyVicky »

Hi everyone. My name is Victoria, I'm 24 and I am passionate about books and reading. I'm a Communications student and in my free time, I like to sing, write, read and talk about books. I believe this platform will help me hone my skills as a writer and a budding editor.
Nemoomen

Post by Nemoomen »

Hi! Completely new, still working on figuring the platform out.
I read roughly 4 to 8 books a month. 500 to 1300 pages.
I am a bit all over the place genre wise and sm looking forward to discovering some new authors.
Andy-Wam
Currently Reading:

Post by Andy-Wam »

My great passion for reading of books has landed me here, I'm already grateful for this forum.
Regards,
Andy
jlhtr

Post by jlhtr »

I have been reading avidly since 1963, I think: I was 4, and I can remember being frustrated because I couldn't read the Babar book that was written in cursive, and when I asked my father to read it to me he refused, on the grounds that Babar was "insipid". So I must have been able to read the books in proper typeface.

This summer has been challenging, and I went looking for new authors to devour. I found one sitting on my own shelves -- Nevil Shute -- I had several of his books I'd never read, because I didn't like one of his books so much when I was a teenager -- I don't remember which one, probably one where too many people die. But I picked up Ruined City one night when NOTHING else would do -- not a single one of the hundreds of books I have on my shelves that I have read before, nothing online, nothing. And I loved it. Turning the economy of a whole city around: the perfect story for this summer.

So I've been chomping my way through Nevil Shute: The Checquer Board, A Town Like Alice, Beyond the Black Stump, Landfall, Marazan, Slide Rule, The Far Country, Trustee From The Toolroom --

hey, wait, I remember reading that and loving it, as a teenager! Well, gee. Funny, I didn't remember that was a Nevil Shute book: but what delight getting to read that again. I'm an engineer, and that is such a lovely geek read.

Then, one day, again nothing would do, and I looked online for lists of books with happy endings, not really expecting to luck out -- but I did. Rainbow Rowell.

O. M. G.

Attachments was my first of her books, and what a masterful geek read. I loved every minute of it. Black raspberry ice cream garnished with fresh nasturtiums. I went back and re-read huge chunks of it.

Fangirl. Eleanor and Park. Landlines.

Carry On.

Twenty years ago, there was a miserable summer, Terry Pratchett and Sylvia Townsend Warner saved my life.

Forty years ago, as a teenager, Dorothy Sayers and James Schmitz were two authors I lived on (as well as the entire young adult section of the library.)

So. That's me. When I'm not reading, I'm building musical instruments and telescopes, or playing music, or looking at the sky through a telescope, or hiking, or -- well, these days I don't get to contra dance, but most of the time I have contra dance videos running, all the smiles are essential.

I have Wayward Son sitting there, waiting for the next time I need a new book. I'm in the middle of Trustee From The Toolroom, for the third time this summer, and I'm carrying The Seafarers with me EVERYWHERE, I read bits of it over and over. I finished Carry On earlier today and started it it right away: often my first read through a book I'm so desperate to know the whole story that I miss a lot of detail. So now I get to read it for the lovely, lovely little details all over the place.

Rowell has THE SINGLE BEST JUSTIFICATION for the existence of Magic. I was already totally in love with her for her characters, her stories, her wonderful sense of humour, her incredibly precise and peculiar turns of phrase.

This has got to be one of the best premises for a world of magic ever:

"If the dark things had their way, the Normal world would be chaos. They'd treat regular people like livestock. We -- magicians -- need the Normals to live their normal lives, relatively unaffected by magic. Our spells depend on them being able to speak freely." -- pp 93-4, Carry On

I've never read anything, any premise for creating an imagined world, that's that humane and that beautiful and that simple and that powerful.

And I just love it when Simon and Baz get to kiss each other.
ShaeHill88

Post by ShaeHill88 »

Hello Im Shae. I love literature and enjoy reading and writtings of my very own. I compose stories and poems at the moment. I'm new hear and will see how this works, but I would love to find some great eye catching stories and books. I love passion, suspense, mystery, devotions, self-help books and a bunch more interests me as I delight in the writers theory and purpose of writting as a piece.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

Welcome! :text-welcomewave: :text-welcomeconfetti:

This thread is the best place to start. :reading-4:

What is grief, if not love persevering?