What would you do?

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

What would you do?

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

When reading this book I was horrified by the events that occurred. The concept of having a face-change was difficult to comprehend. I wondered, if I was put in the the same situation as Callaghan, what I would do.

Truthfully, I don't know. I'd probably do a lot of crying and go into major depression... :?

What would you do?

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I don't know what I would do, but I do know I won't act like he did! He went overboard and hurt innocent people (his ex mainly) in the process. I'd probably be depressed and upset as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Yes, I definitely wouldn't act the way he did. He was too purposeful and cold-blooded in seeking his revenge.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I cannot even begin to fathom being in Matthias shoes. I would hope to never find myself there but if I did, I would hope that I had a better support system going in so that I would still feel loved and needed, rather than abandoned. Once Julia emotionally abandoned him, after seeing the results, there wasn't anyone truly there for him. I would hope that I would seek justice through legitimate means and find a way to be a part of society again.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

Depressed and upset I definitely feel like I would be. There's always a right and wrong way to handle things like this. Unfortunately some people don't always choose the right way. I agree a good support system is needed here.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I'd probably feel the same way. I'm already depressed enough as it is so being put in this situation would probably drive me nuts. I don't know that I'd even have anyone else to talk to about it since I live like such a loner!
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
bluemel4
Favorite Author: Anne Bishop
Currently Reading: The Dark Tower, Books 1-3
Bookshelf Size: 466
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluemel4.html
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
fav_author_id: 6086

Post by bluemel4 »

The complete face transplant was a radical decision. I would rather look like myself with scars than have someone's dead, but intact face. If someone made the decision for me and gave me a new face that I hated, I would ask about any plastic surgery enhancements that I could make to have some control over my appearance. I was surprised that the idea was never brought up while Matthias was in the hospital. Of course I would have a break down of some kind and have trouble when people didn't recognize me. It's such a mind boggling worst case scenario situation.
"Life is a journey, not a destination" --Ralph Waldo Emerson
Latest Review: "Severed Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
arpi05
Currently Reading: Looking for Alaska
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arpi05.html

Post by arpi05 »

I think I'll act somewhat similar to what he did. The situation he was put through made such a psychological impact on him that it completely changed him. Just like him, I think I would go crazy too. Hurting people and going to any extent to seek revenge was the only way through which he could let out the emotions inside him. I feel, that's what most of us would do if we were in his shoes.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

I think I would be pretty depressed, but I also wouldn't do anything too drastic. It's also pretty common for people with full face transplants to have identity issues.
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

I know that there were many times in high school when I would have seriously considered a full face transplant to be able to start over fresh in school with no preconceived notions about me from the previous year. Of course, I was pretty dumb back then too so I don't think that that would be a good barometer of what I would truly do if it were to have actually happened. Getting a new face is not reinventing yourself which is what I was looking for at times. I think that in that case, though I had plenty of friends, I just felt insecure like so many tend to do at that time in their lives. looking at it objectively, switching out your face would probably make anybody much less secure than they were to begin with. It would not turn out well in this situation.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

rssllue wrote:I know that there were many times in high school when I would have seriously considered a full face transplant to be able to start over fresh in school with no preconceived notions about me from the previous year. Of course, I was pretty dumb back then too so I don't think that that would be a good barometer of what I would truly do if it were to have actually happened. Getting a new face is not reinventing yourself which is what I was looking for at times. I think that in that case, though I had plenty of friends, I just felt insecure like so many tend to do at that time in their lives. looking at it objectively, switching out your face would probably make anybody much less secure than they were to begin with. It would not turn out well in this situation.
I think that many of us wanted to reinvent ourselves during high school, thinking that if we just had a better nose, a better this or that, we'd be more popular or have the boyfriend/girlfriend we wanted. Thankfully, most of get past that as we mature.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

I have no idea what I would do. And I really don't think anyone does until/unless they are in a position like that.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Currently Reading:

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

klbradley wrote:I have no idea what I would do. And I really don't think anyone does until/unless they are in a position like that.
True. We can think we'd know what we'd do but until we are actually experiencing it, we don't really know.
AishaTBN
Currently Reading: The Thousand Nights And One Night
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aishatbn.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by AishaTBN »

The worst thing about face change would be seeing people who you know act diffrently because they will have problem adapting to a new face. I felt if that ever happens (God forbid) I'd really want to move to a new place. But then even that won't change things much around me, like in my immediate family.
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

I really don't know what I would do! I've always thought of myself as an embodiment of the things I believed in and liked to do, but at the same time I feel like having to reinvent my appearance would take a toll on who I thought of myself as. I'm unsure as to whether or not I would change as a person - after all, people always say that appearances don't matter, but then again, I do think that there would be an immense psychological impact, like there was in the story.

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”