Wisdom in The Lost Identity Casualties

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Wisdom in The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by Scott »

This is a discussion topic for the the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

In his narration, I believe Matthias Callaghan often states valuable pieces of wisdom. For just a few examples, consider the following:
page 24 wrote:You don't give away good money to recover bad loans.
While reading, did any pieces of wisdom stick out to you?

I think this is a large part of my immense enjoyment of this artistic novel. I strongly dislike and disagree with Callaghan's vengefulness but cannot deny his competence, intelligence, and cunning. It's an intriguing juxtaposition of traits, in my opinion.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon | View The Lost Identity Casualties Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

One of the things that I learnt from this book is that people can be much more deep and complex that they seem, and that everybody has a history that makes them who they are.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Revenge doesn't make one happy. It will be interesting to see if Matthias is any happier in the next book in the series. He wasn't in the end of the first book.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
kimekemar
Favorite Author: Kim Ekemar
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimekemar.html
fav_author_id: 31759

Post by kimekemar »

CatInTheHat wrote:Revenge doesn't make one happy. It will be interesting to see if Matthias is any happier in the next book in the series. He wasn't in the end of the first book.
I promise you, he's definitely happier in the second book in the series!
weeh84
Currently Reading: Paradise Lost
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weeh84.html
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by weeh84 »

kimekemar wrote:
CatInTheHat wrote:Revenge doesn't make one happy. It will be interesting to see if Matthias is any happier in the next book in the series. He wasn't in the end of the first book.
This gives me hope! I hope I grow to like his character and he develops a more in-depth personality under the layer of hatred he carries. I am trying not to base all my opinions on the first book. I know sometimes the first novel in a series you should take with a grain of salt, which is what I am doing. The first book wasn't an easy read for me. I had to put it down a few times because the emotional level was intense. I can't relate to the vengefulness.
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

weeh84 wrote:
This gives me hope! I hope I grow to like his character and he develops a more in-depth personality under the layer of hatred he carries. I am trying not to base all my opinions on the first book. I know sometimes the first novel in a series you should take with a grain of salt, which is what I am doing. The first book wasn't an easy read for me. I had to put it down a few times because the emotional level was intense. I can't relate to the vengefulness.
I think it's hard for most people to relate to that level of vengefulness. People may sometimes wish revenge but most people don't actually act on it.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

While reading The Lost Identity Casualties, there were several phrases that I found to be profound or words of wisdom. I have provided the phrases below along with the page numbers:

1) "...time is the only thing that you live for, and the only thing that kills you. Nothing is forever..." p131

2)"...using someone’s greed is by far the easiest means if you want to manipulate him." p131

3)"...quality costs, but it gives you more value for the money.” p135

4)"...of long-term survival in business: unless you’re willing to give, you won’t be able to receive." p184

5)"...the fundamental reason for working towards your goals is to be happy, or enjoying yourself, or improving the world, or whatever makes you feel good about yourself." p186

I would love feedback from others. Do you agree with me that these statements are indeed words of wisdom?
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

I agree. I found a lot of insightful information through out the book like this. I love books that leave you thinking at the end.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

kimekemar wrote:

Good to hear!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
pyb
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pyb.html
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart

Post by pyb »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:While reading The Lost Identity Casualties, there were several phrases that I found to be profound or words of wisdom. I have provided the phrases below along with the page numbers:

1) "...time is the only thing that you live for, and the only thing that kills you. Nothing is forever..." p131

2)"...using someone’s greed is by far the easiest means if you want to manipulate him." p131

4)"...of long-term survival in business: unless you’re willing to give, you won’t be able to receive." p184

5)"...the fundamental reason for working towards your goals is to be happy, or enjoying yourself, or improving the world, or whatever makes you feel good about yourself." p186

I would love feedback from others. Do you agree with me that these statements are indeed words of wisdom?
I think profound may be too strong of a word. Usually I reserve that qualifier for something phrased in a way I have never heard that gives me pause. I believe these are simply good pieces of advice.
The first one you mention is, in my opinion, the "deepest,' but the ending ... "nothing is forever" ... is a bit too cliche :)
Latest Review: "God, Red Shoes and Chocolate Pudding" by Hayley Hart
rssllue
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Jennifer Allsbrook wrote:While reading The Lost Identity Casualties, there were several phrases that I found to be profound or words of wisdom. I have provided the phrases below along with the page numbers:

1 -> I agree that this is true of our lifetimes here on Earth. I have always said myself that life is a lethal affliction. :roll:
2 -> Totally true. Greed is one of the easiest things to manipulate by far!
3 -> Again, spot on! You have to gauge between cost and quality to get true value.
4 -> That's true in life too! Biblical wisdom right there! 8)
5 -> I would say that most people would be satisfied falling into one of those categories.
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

These are great words of wisdom - it would do people very well in life to remember these quotes. I especially liked number 2 - this is a theme that has been seen over and over again in books, movies, and TV, and the way it was phrased in the book summed it up very well and is definitely a quote I would remember.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

"time is the only thing that you live for, and the only thing that kills you. Nothing is forever"
So deep! Love quotes and books that leave you thinking!
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

AA1495 wrote:"time is the only thing that you live for, and the only thing that kills you. Nothing is forever"
So deep! Love quotes and books that leave you thinking!
I love that!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:One of the things that I learnt from this book is that people can be much more deep and complex that they seem, and that everybody has a history that makes them who they are.
True. Noone is born great or evil, and noone is completely white or black. Everyone's a shade of grey and it's their circumstances that make them that way.

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”