Is Callaghan a sociopath

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
Scott
Site Admin
Favorite Author: Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scott.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 960
fav_author_id: 248825

Is Callaghan a sociopath

Post by Scott »

This is a discussion topic for the the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

A main theme--or maybe the main theme--in the books is: what constitutes justice and what are humans capable of under certain circumstances?

What are the readers reactions to Callaghan’s behavior and revenge actions after he has been mutilated and lost his previous life? Is he sociopath, or is his course of action understandable considering his fate? Are there any real-life comparisons to be made?

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon | View The Lost Identity Casualties Bookshelves
"That virtue we appreciate is as much ours as another's. We see so much only as we possess." - Henry David Thoreau

"Non ignara mali miseris succurrere disco." Virgil, The Aeneid
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I can understand his need for revenge, but I think that Callaghan went too far in his revenge and even enjoyed parts of it. I wouldn't go that far as to call him a sociopath, but he wasn't that far from the mark either. I don't think "normal" people would act like he did.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
kio
Favorite Author: Janet Evanovich
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... vermore</a>
Bookshelf Size: 532
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kio.html
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 2658

Post by kio »

I see the need for revenge, but he seemed to have no remorse for his revenge. And, to me, anyone who seeks "revenge" is definitely bordering on sociopath.
"Books are unique portable magic."-Stephen King
Latest Review: "A Twist of Fate" by Mark W. Johnson
Paliden
Currently Reading: White Cargo
Bookshelf Size: 1028
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paliden.html
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne

Post by Paliden »

kio wrote:I see the need for revenge, but he seemed to have no remorse for his revenge. And, to me, anyone who seeks "revenge" is definitely bordering on sociopath.

I agree. There is a very fine line between simple revenge (of course, when is revenge ever simple?) and crossing over to sociopath.
Latest Review: "Justified Anger" by Jennifer Colne
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html
Latest Review: "Storm of Arranon" by R E Sheahan

Post by braver »

I looked up the definition of a sociopath, and I learned that the DSM-5's (the standard on mental illnesses) official term for sociopathy or psychopathy is antisocial personality disorder. There are a number of characteristics that would support this diagnosis for Matthias:

- Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors, as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.
- Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.
- Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.
- Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.
(from http://www.healthyplace.com/personality ... onscience/)

So yes, I would say he is.
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

This is hard for me to say. I think that what Callaghan went through was absolutely horrible and I absolutely understand his need for revenge. To wake up after a coma and find your face mutilated and your identity taken and find people from your past that were a part of this scheme, it must be very difficult to deal with. I definitely cannot relate to him when he did start taking his revenge because he definitely did come off very sociopathic but I don't think it's possible for someone in his position to ever actually be normal again. In some ways this story reminded me of the Count of Monte Cristo with Callaghan being similar to Edmond Dantes. Edmond just could not love again after everything he went through and Callaghan is similar.
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

I think he went way too far. My take is that he has always been a sociopath (credit cards with his genius friend) but restrained, and with a father like his I think it's a little understandable. When it was triggered by his ordeal, sociopathy went up to the surface.
stoppoppingtheP
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Although I did feel sorry for Callaghan at the beginning, because of what happened, I didn't like him. He seemed quite cold-blooded when planning his revenge. I definitely think that he became a sociopath.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

stoppoppingtheP wrote:Although I did feel sorry for Callaghan at the beginning, because of what happened, I didn't like him. He seemed quite cold-blooded when planning his revenge. I definitely think that he became a sociopath.
I didn't like him as well!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
braver
Currently Reading: Playing Big
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braver.html

Post by braver »

kimmyschemy06 wrote:I think he went way too far. My take is that he has always been a sociopath (credit cards with his genius friend) but restrained, and with a father like his I think it's a little understandable. When it was triggered by his ordeal, sociopathy went up to the surface.
I think that's a really good point, that he was actually always a sociopath.
weeh84
Currently Reading: Paradise Lost
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-weeh84.html
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by weeh84 »

Definitely. I had a deep sympathy for him in the beginning. His character was hard to connect with as the story unfolded. However, his life would never again be what it was. His heart became cold, and he had an insatiable lust for revenge.
Latest Review: "Crumbling Walls" by Laura Strandt
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

It's hard to know what Callaghan was like before he was attacked. The after affects are clearly that of a sociopath. I can understand his desire for revenge but the way he treated his wife was beyond reasonable, even for someone seeking revenge. That was really the point where I thought he went over the edge. Finding a way to have his father killed and have a new face transplant adds to that conviction.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Prisaneify
Currently Reading: Try Not To Breathe
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisaneify.html
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Prisaneify »

I'm sure that you could easily find real life examples of this behavior. I just finished up my Criminology degree and spent a long time studying the behaviors of criminals. Revenge is a strong emotion, one that becomes more difficult to ignore the more jaded you become.
Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

While I agree that it was ok for Callaghan to want revenge I believe he went way over the line. If he isn't at the sociopath level he's about to definitely cross the line.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
AuthoressofMystery
Currently Reading: Finding Poe
Bookshelf Size: 342
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-authoressofmystery.html
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by AuthoressofMystery »

Callaghan lost touch with who he was as a person. When one loses touch with himself as a person it can cause him to lose touch with humanity. To his thinking, humanity has betrayed him. If love is not present, "justified anger" can quickly turn to unchecked rage, which equals violence without fear of consequences and lack of remorse.
From Callaghan's rage addled viewpoint everyone must pay.
So, yes, I think he became a sociopath.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.

Edmond Burke
Latest Review: "Learn English, Spanish, French, German, Turkish and Persian - Vocabulary Book Series" by Vahid Asghari

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”