Is the Russian Mafia's torture of Callaghan too descriptive?

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Is the Russian Mafia's torture of Callaghan too descript

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

The scenes were a pretty grusome, but I have came across much worse with television. As grusome as they were, it was necessary for the story, like others said.
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

The torture scenes remind me a bit of some of the gruesome torture seen in "Game of Thrones". The Russian style torture would fit right into "Game of Thrones". But I doubt I could handle watching it, I look down at a book during those parts of "Game of Thrones".
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
psychopathycathy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1344
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-psychopathycathy.html
Latest Review: Notes of Sorrow Songs Of Joy by Robert Lauri

Post by psychopathycathy »

They may have been very graphic, but I felt like it was appropriate for the story and added to the atmosphere. These descriptions make the story that much more engaging and horrifying to read, and that really adds to the power the writing has.
Kourtney Bradley
Favorite Book: Bridges of Madison County
Currently Reading: Layla
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kourtney-bradley.html
Latest Review: Dante's Demons by K.L. Barstow
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kourtney Bradley »

hannahbm13 wrote:Detailed torture scenes can be very gruesome and hard to read, but I feel it necessary in order to fully grasp what is happening to the characters.
I completely agree!
Whenever you read a good book, somewhere in the world a door opens to allow in more light. :techie-studyingbrown:
–Vera Nazarian
Yelitzag08
Currently Reading: DIABLO NIGHTS
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yelitzag08.html
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary

Post by Yelitzag08 »

I don't particularly enjoy reading graphic torture scenes but sometimes they are absolutely necessary for the story. I think being fully aware of the type of trauma the character sustained helps us understand the character better. I also think we can't help but sympathize deeply with someone that has been through something terrible. The graphic description makes that event much more real to us than just a short description of what happened.
Latest Review: "The Blood on My Hands" by Shannon O'Leary
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

They were definitely graphic, and parts were harder for me to read without sort of cringing away. However, I think that it's in a way necessary to really understand the details. It's not like they were unnecessary to the plot.

-- 10 Sep 2016, 02:50 --
klbradley wrote:
hannahbm13 wrote:Detailed torture scenes can be very gruesome and hard to read, but I feel it necessary in order to fully grasp what is happening to the characters.
I completely agree!
I as well fully agree. Despite it being slightly harder to read through all the graphic details, they ultimately add to the writing. It really helps the reader grasp what the situation is actually like, and makes writing more powerful.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I think the torture scenes were very descriptive, but necessary to convey what Matthias went through and why revenge is so important to him. They didn't bother me because I've read more gruesome things before in other books. Also, reading about violence doesn't bother me as much as reading about cannibalism or gross things.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

This is such a tough question! I found so many of these scenes SO hard to read, they were overly descriptive and incredibly cringe worthy. HOWEVER, I do think the graphic nature of the torture scenes added to the suspense of the novel and made things more realistic. I think if these scenes had been lessened they would have been as dramatic and impactful.
lane_vespertine
Currently Reading: Ilium
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lane-vespertine.html
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith

Post by lane_vespertine »

I sort of thought they were when they happened, but I agree with some here that they provided motivation for what followed.
I've never been a big fan of violence (or sex for that matter) being too explicit unless it is absolutely necessary. And I guess retroactively, in this case, it is justified.
But it didn't feel that way at the point in the story where it happened.
Latest Review: "Hell Holes 2" by Donald Firesmith
Michelle92
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle92.html
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann

Post by Michelle92 »

I have to say yes. Because not all the people can stomach such detailed description. It was made extremely graphic and I don't know if that was the intention but the result was a little too realistic.
Latest Review: "Yesterdat" by Samyann
Kdonegan91
Favorite Author: Wanda E. Brunstetter
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 202">Never Cry Again</a>
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdonegan91.html
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Reading Device: 1400699169
fav_author_id: 19883

Post by Kdonegan91 »

I know I am late about posting because I just finished this book. I believe the description of the torture was gruesome and sort of over the top but I felt like that is how the author was getting his point across. It helps shape the character by describing his experiences.
When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change. - Wayne Dyer
Latest Review: "A Matter of Faith" by Duke Woodrick
Jasmine M Wardiya
Currently Reading: Darkglass Mountain #2 - The Twisted Citadel
Bookshelf Size: 238
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-m-wardiya.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jasmine M Wardiya »

I'm going to be one of those oddballs who says nope, I don't find the torture description over the top at all - but that's more because I've never found a description (of violence, at least) too gruesome. Movies, yes (sadly enough, one of the Pirates of the Carribean ones was one - something about those sea creatures), but not something written and without images. Part of it is association: see stuff in movies or the news, but never in real life. And in other aspects, it's familiarity. Plenty of gruesome stuff to be found in hospitals and we can't possibly describe them well enough to capture it fully (or try; rather, we make it more clinical and dry).

(to be honest, I actually like reading descriptions of characters getting tortured...provided they're well-written and relevant - ie. not torture for the sake of torture, and this is both of those).
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Yes, it was too descriptive and graphic. I was really frightened. It has not left me although several days have passed since I read it.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Thimble wrote: 17 Sep 2016, 23:47 I think the torture scenes were very descriptive, but necessary to convey what Matthias went through and why revenge is so important to him.
Perfect, but I can't imagine the same scenes in a movie. :lol2:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
C-obi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-c-obi.html
Latest Review: The Solution is Political Revolution by Jillion R Rising

Post by C-obi »

It is better told than imagined the tortures described. This will create some reluctance to read the book.

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”