Overall Opinions of The Lost Identity Casualties

Discuss the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

You can use this forum to discuss the sequels to this book.

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Bookshelves

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Re: Overall Opinions of The Lost Identity Casualties

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I loved this book, despite some of the gore. As Matthias laid in his bed, I could almost imagine being him, wondering where I was and why no one would tell me anything. Watching the story unfold was fascinating and full of surprises. I have put the next book in the series on my Amazon wish list.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Amh73090
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amh73090.html
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd

Post by Amh73090 »

While the book wasn't one of my favorites it wasn't the worst I've ever read. I found it to be very long in some aspects. Unfortunately this will not be a reason read for me.
Latest Review: "Another-Blended Not Shaken" by Sherrie L. Todd
Thimble
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>
Currently Reading: A Wise Man's Fear
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thimble.html
Latest Review: The Captain's Collie by Ace Mask
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Thimble »

I liked the book. As someone who shares the same name as a parent, I could relate to a major part of the story. I found the plot to be fast, but not too fast. It kept me interested. I don't think I would read it again, but I'm interested in reading the sequels.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
TrishaAnn92
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trishaann92.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman
Publishing Contest Votes: 20

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

To be honest, I am reading it, but I'm having a hard time, keeping to it. Maybe it's just me but I just cannot get into it and I have contemplated just not finishing quite a few times.
Thimble
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 6338">Iron Kissed</a>

Post by Thimble »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:To be honest, I am reading it, but I'm having a hard time, keeping to it. Maybe it's just me but I just cannot get into it and I have contemplated just not finishing quite a few times.
Do you not care about what happens to main character? I kept reading because I wanted to know what happens next. I think if you aren't interested in knowing, it could be hard to finish reading.
"You can never leave footprints that last if you are always walking on tiptoe." - Leymah Gbowee
TrishaAnn92
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =2595">The Messenger (2)</a>

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Honestly I'm not sure. The characters aren't very relatable other and I think that is playing a factor.
Thimble

Post by Thimble »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Honestly I'm not sure. The characters aren't very relatable other and I think that is playing a factor.
I know what you mean. Whenever I read GoT and it gets to a Cersei or Sansa chapter I just tune out.
TrishaAnn92

Post by TrishaAnn92 »

Nice! I have yet to read the GoT books.
I will finish reading the vook, because I hate to stop when I start.
MarisaRose
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

Overall I enjoyed The Lost Identity Casualties and I'm looking forward to reading the next installment. I did find some of the scenes with the mob to be a little gruesome, however, it did add to the feeling of suspense. I found the book to be fast paced and I didn't want to put it down!
bookerang
Currently Reading: Roma, Underground
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by bookerang »

I just finished this novel and I’m amazed how this author has managed to tie together all story threads, both in a coherent way and with surprising twists. I haven’t read anything by him before, but I can’t wait to start on the second book in the series! Although the main story is about a terrible loss of identity due to the indifference, cruelty and greed of others, I also found other real-world present-day themes included: the trafficking of vulnerable people, Internet scams, illegal immigration, syndicated crime activities and much more. But, most importantly, it’s a psychological portrait of someone who loses his face, his identity and his life. I think his reactions to his fate are very human ones (depression, anger, bitterness, calls for revenge), and he deals with his identity crisis in an intelligent (albeit sometimes morally reprehensible) way as he demands an eye for an eye, etc. (To avoid any spoiler, it will suffice here to mention that his personality changes considerably in the process, which is what makes his character so interesting.)
As a side comment, I found the dialogues between Callaghan and his father, and with the gangster Flint, quite witty. The Lost Identity Casualties is a fast-paced, clever novel that kept my lamp burning well past midnight!
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

Scott wrote:This is a discussion topic for the the August 2016 Book of the Month, The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar.

What is you overall opinion of the first book in The Callaghan Tetralogy? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will your recommend the book to other people? Why or why not? Please remember to add your actual rating using the the book's page on Bookshelves.

My Answer: I like this book very much. I like how the plot was intricate and suspenseful but simultaneously easy to follow. After reading this book, I purchased all three sequels. I'm excited to read them. What about you?

View The Lost Identity Casualties on Amazon | View The Lost Identity Casualties Bookshelves
I enjoyed reading this book. This was my first experience reading a book for a discussion group. I found the story to be amazing and the characters to be interesting and complex. There were so many story lines going on at times that I had to go back and do some rereading. The back stories were necessary though to bring everything together when it is finally revealed what had happened to Callaghan and how he planned to get his revenge on all that had wronged him. What I liked most about the story were the little gems of wisdom scattered throughout the story. I enjoyed collecting them and sharing them in the discussion thread that dealt with that topic. What I liked least was the situation that occurred with Callaghan's wife. I found it sad that he had to lose a relationship that before the attack was working well. I can understand though why his wife could not stomach his new face. Overall, I enjoyed reading this story and would read the other books in the series. I am a sucker for a continuing story, especially when I have become emotionally invested in the main character.
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

TrishaAnn92 wrote:Honestly I'm not sure. The characters aren't very relatable other and I think that is playing a factor.
I found that to be particularly true between Callaghan and his wife.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
gali
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by gali »

CatInTheHat wrote:
I found that to be particularly true between Callaghan and his wife.
I thought the same about those two.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

I loved the flow of the story despite the fact that Matthias' attitude was a 'holier than thou' one. Apart from the mishaps in the narration, it can be noted that the author is exceptionally creative and did quite a good job.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
Bettychi55
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bettychi55.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by Bettychi55 »

I have only sampled the first few pages of the book but I found it to very interesting. I was left wanting for more. I am definitely going to read this book soon.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Return to “"The Lost Identity Casualties" by Kim Ekemar”