Most appealing!

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Most appealing!

Post by MarisaRose »

I found the most appealing aspect of "Orphan Train" to be the juxtaposition between the past and the present. The author does a great job intertwining the relevance of one character's experience with the orphan train and the other character's present reality. I think in general, the public is relatively unaware of the "orphan train experience" and this novel is a real eye opener, describing the sadness of the times.
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

arpi05 wrote:Just like all the others, I too absolutely loved the beginning of the story. The whole concept of Orphan Trains was really new and fascinating to me. It made me realize that there's so much more in the world that we don't know about. Actually, that's the thing I llove about books, they show you a side on this world which is untouched, unexplored.
Completely agree with you on this. There's so much to learn from books and the unexplored theme is what caught my attention as well.
Genaaa
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-genaaa.html
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera

Post by Genaaa »

I would hope the story line and the plot themselves would be enough to draw in the public. After all, who wants to read something that doesn't grab their interest as soon as they see it. I know personally, if the plot doesn't seem interesting enough, I'm usually not motivated to read it.
Latest Review: "A Messiahs Battle For The Human Realm" by Roberto Torres Rivera
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

Genaaa wrote:I would hope the story line and the plot themselves would be enough to draw in the public. After all, who wants to read something that doesn't grab their interest as soon as they see it. I know personally, if the plot doesn't seem interesting enough, I'm usually not motivated to read it.
Same. I'll go for a book that has an interesting synopsis. The cover and title also help, ofcourse!
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte

Post by Kia »

Genaaa wrote:I would hope the story line and the plot themselves would be enough to draw in the public. After all, who wants to read something that doesn't grab their interest as soon as they see it. I know personally, if the plot doesn't seem interesting enough, I'm usually not motivated to read it.
I also have to agree with this. After all, why bother to read a book that doesn't sound interesting? That kind of defeats the purpose of reading.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
Carsh_Lohal
Bookshelf Size: 121
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carsh-lohal.html
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton

Post by Carsh_Lohal »

I think the fact that the orphan trains happened relatively recently from a historical perspective, and yet so many don't know about them would be a big draw to people. The cover initially made me pick it up, but when I read the back and realized that the orphan trains were still running within the last 100 years made me feel like I had to find out about them.
Latest Review: "Crossing in Time" by D.L. Orton
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Amh73090 wrote:I think the story itself is interesting enough to pull the public in. At least that's how I get pulled in to books. If the story line is good enough I'd be willing to read almost anything.
I totally agree! I get dragged into reading the books I previously read because of the story. This book pulled me in the same way. There are some genres I am hesitant to read so I usually rely on how strong the story appeals to me when I read the synopsis.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Insightsintobooks729
Currently Reading: Meet your soul
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks729.html
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks729 »

I agree that the storyline is enough to pull people into this book especially if you like multiple storylines and historical fiction.
"I cannot live without Books" - Thomas Jefferson
Latest Review: "Discovering My Life's Purpose: From Tragedy to Triumph" by Bridgid Ruden
Ste Brad
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03199">And Then I Met Margaret</a>
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ste-brad.html
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Ste Brad »

WOW! I hadn't heard of this book! I must put it on my shelf and read it very soon!

The first time I ever heard any story about the orphan train was from a colleague at work at a bank. The second time was from my Deacon in Helena. But I'd also always remembered that the original Little Rascals (it went by another name, I believe, as well) had the moving, sounding-off train in the background.

The one place I'd never heard of it? A history book.

Hush...
Latest Review: "Can I Be Frank?" by Rob Wyatt
BeatrixPotter
Favorite Book: A Higher Loyalty
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatrixpotter.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by BeatrixPotter »

It was an aspect of history I was not familiar with. The most appealing aspects are the compelling story line, and the well-drawn characters. The author had done a good job with the research and the story was convincing.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by Kareka88 »

DennisK wrote: 20 Aug 2016, 09:29 I loved mostly how the two main character's lives were woven together in the story. The modern day girl with her modern day problems and yesterday's child with all her hardships – both coming together in a healing and loving way. You can't get much better than that.
I agree. I loved the way the author went back and forth between the two characters. Vivian and the hardships she had to endure and Molly's struggles as a foster child in today's world. We are able to see the similarities, but I'm not sure Vivian and Molly can.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

Amh73090 wrote: 17 Aug 2016, 10:31 I think the story itself is interesting enough to pull the public in. At least that's how I get pulled in to books. If the story line is good enough I'd be willing to read almost anything.
Exactly. It's the theme which makes a book great. I haven't read it but reading the review I think the story line is awesome!
lhen054
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by lhen054 »

The story line would be the first thing I would read and if I like it I would just grab it off the shelf and start scanning the pages.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

As an adoptive mom, I am always drawn to these types of stories. Historical fiction is one of my favorites as well, especially when we learn about little-known stories like this one.
Suzer6440 xyz
Favorite Book: Pearl River Mansion
Currently Reading: Five Total Strangers
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-suzer6440-xyz.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Suzer6440 xyz »

I was hooked from the very beginning of the book. The story was interesting and surprising to me. The orphan train was
Definitely a subject that I never knew about and fascinating to read

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”