Whose story line did you like best and why?

Discuss the July 2016 Book of the Month, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline.

View Orphan Train on Bookshelves

View Orphan Train on Amazon
Lovely_Loreley
Favorite Author: Donita K. Paul
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 776">Light of the Oracle</a>
Currently Reading: The Blue Fairy Book
Bookshelf Size: 370
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lovely-loreley.html
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Reading Device: B00UB76290
fav_author_id: 13786

Re: Whose story line did you like best and why?

Post by Lovely_Loreley »

bookowlie wrote:I think this book would make a great movie or TV mini-series. However, I think it would be too busy if the movie had Molly's home life in detail. It would be better if she was just a girl that helped Vivian, so there could be a way to have flashbacks to Vivian's childhood.
I completely agree! While I did appreciate both story lines, I was definitely more drawn to Vivian's (but then, I am a huge fan of historical fiction to begin with...). I think a movie/mini-series would be cool, especially if Molly was initially pegged as more of a volunteer/helper and then we learned just a bit about her situation as Vivian's story unfolded, more as a comparison to Vivian's experiences than any true focus on Molly's life. That way we'd have more sympathy for Molly without getting bogged down in her home life, and Vivian could be the main focus.
Latest Review: "Vanished in Berlin" by Gry Finsnes
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Before I mentioned that I liked Vivian's storyline better, which is still the case. However, I will say that I wasn't a fan of how rushed it all felt towards the end of her younger years. Maybe it was meant to be that way, but I would've liked it to be slowed down a bit.
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Kia
Currently Reading: Damaged Goods
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kia.html
Latest Review: Wheel of Katarnum by James Calliotte
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kia »

I agree that I enjoyed Niamh's (as I will always refer to her) story the best. I did like how Molly's story managed to connect the Orphan Train to today and make people realize that just because we aren't shipping children on a train out west anymore there are still many of the same problems associated with the foster care system.
"Yes, the past can hurt. But the way I see it you can either run from it, or learn from it."- Rafiki
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

hsimone wrote:Before I mentioned that I liked Vivian's storyline better, which is still the case. However, I will say that I wasn't a fan of how rushed it all felt towards the end of her younger years. Maybe it was meant to be that way, but I would've liked it to be slowed down a bit.
Her younger years were a bit rushed. I also found the ending a bit rushed and abrupt. I felt like it needed just a little more at the end, when Vivian met her daughter.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Lauren M
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lauren-m.html
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts

Post by Lauren M »

I really enjoyed both storylines, even though Molly's was shorter. I agree with Laura19804 as well, it made Vivian's story much sharper.
Latest Review: "Everything I Need to Know About Love I Learned From Pop Songs" by Laura Roberts
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris

Post by MarisaRose »

I agree with the original post. Molly's story fell flat for me at times and didn't hold my interest. On the other hand, Vivian's story was filled with emotion and I could really picture the struggles she endured.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

I just finished reading the book and I really liked Vivian's story. It was so heart-wrenching. I had to keep reading the whole night because I wanted to know what happened next. Her story was a rollercoaster ride of emotions. I think Molly's story was more of a side story. She's a strong character, but Vivian is stronger in so many ways.
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Wasif Ahmed
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wasif-ahmed.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00THRCA6E
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Wasif Ahmed »

I enjoyed Vivian's storyline the most.
When people say you've changed, it just means that you have stopped living your life, their way.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I liked Vivian's story more for a couple of reasons. The main reason why I liked it better was because there was so much more drama and raw emotion in Vivian's story than Molly's. Also, I like the historical fiction aspect it gave to the story.
JCatSmit16
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JCatSmit16 »

I definitely preferred Vivian's story line, and felt there was much more depth to the plot with her. But to be honest I had trouble relating to both most of the time.

Vivian's story was compelling and dramatic, but as a character she wasn't very personable - maybe she just has a level of grace and composure I can't measure up to, but it seemed like no matter what happened, beautiful or devastating, she always kept the same pace...

Did anyone else find her composure hard to relate to?
Insightsintobooks
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-insightsintobooks.html
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Insightsintobooks »

I agree that Vivian's was more vivid and I liked it more, but I also liked Molly's storyline as well.
Latest Review: "Gates to Tangier" by Mois Benarroch
dbulkley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dbulkley.html
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin

Post by dbulkley »

Molly was easily more relatable to me.
Latest Review: Seer by Larry Austin
steigerd
Favorite Book: The Boys in the Boat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-steigerd.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by steigerd »

Vivian's life was the story, and Molly was shallow in comparison. My favorite character was Dutchy; he had guts

Return to “"Orphan Train" by Christina Baker Kline”