Recommend some YA books for an advanced 7 y/o reader

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Re: Recommend some YA books for an advanced 7 y/o reader

Post by Nisha Ward »

Rangerkay wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 13:21 FableHaven
Harry Potter
Unicorns of Balinor (can be difficult to find these days but WORTH IT)
DragonLance: The New Adventures. (Starts with the Dragon Well). It blends fantasy and action/adventure.

Have you tried getting her into some Tamora Pierce novels? She has some great YA series. I would start her out with something like Terrier or The Lady Alanna series of books. My favorite was the Immortal Series with Wild Magic being the first one. The problem is that one touches on some more mature subjects on the last book of that series.

Circle Series by Ted Dekker. If she likes spooky you can send her towards Ted Dekker and Frank Peretti. They are Christian authors so clean books. Scary.
Seconding Tamora Pierce but also Garth Nix. The Keys to the Kingdom series and the Abhorsen trilogy were great books. There's also the Charlie Bone series, the City of Ember series, the Wind Singer chronicles.

That's all I have for now.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Meredithesme
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Meredithesme »

Miss Holly Is Too Jolly!
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

It is time for Harry Potter!!! I recommend you buy the new, illustrated editions, they are fantastic. I am 25 and I keep rereading them every year.
klarrysah_223
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by klarrysah_223 »

Patricia C Wrede: Enchanted Forest Chronicles (4 books,starting with Dealing with Dragons. satirical fantasy), Sorcery and Cecilia (two books following in series. historical fiction with fantasy mixed in). She is similar to Dianna Wynn Jones, who wrote Howl's Moving Castle.
Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
Gail Carson Levine: Ella Enchanted, Fairest, The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Ever, The Fairy's Return and other Princess stories (short story collection)
The Giver by Lois Lowery
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

They’re a little bit older but The Edge Chronicles series by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell are brilliant. Quite creepy at times.

I never read goosebumps so I don’t really know how scary they are, but the first Edge Chronicles trilogy features carnivorous trees, a goblin who collects toes, a forest where nobody can die, people being crushed by giant chains and lots more.

Most importantly though, it’s a fantastic story. The first trilogy has really stayed with me as one of the best series I read when I was younger.
Sardothien1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sardothien1 »

NERDS by Ryan Buckley is a spy story that I enjoy as a teen with few pictures, there are four books in total if they want to continue the story or you can stop at one.
tiger01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiger01.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin PhD

Post by tiger01 »

The Narnia Chronicles - C. S. Lewis
The Magicians Daughter series - Justyn Walker
The Cats Eye Chronicles - T.S. Sheffield (there is a romantic relationship but they do not even kiss until book 3, not all released yet but it should be suitable for a young reader. It does feature an assassin but considering your daughter loves Goosebumps it should be alright)

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”