Historical Fiction Recommendations (WWII Era)

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Historical Fiction Recommendations (WWII Era)

Post by gfowle »

I am extremely passionate about successful World War II-era historical fiction, and I have read basically every popular book from this time. I am looking for recommendations for non-mainstream books from this general era.

A few books from this genre that I love are:
Lilac Girls
The Nightingale
All the Light We Cannot See
The Librarian of Auschwitz
The Painted Wall
Saving Italy
Beneath A Scarlet Sky
Sue+58
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sue+58 »

Try "The Alice Network" by Kate Quinn. Includes both World Wars.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

Sue+58 wrote: 08 Sep 2018, 23:32 Try "The Alice Network" by Kate Quinn. Includes both World Wars.
I definitely should have included this one on my original list, because I have read it, and I absolutely loved it!
[Krista_Michelle86]
Currently Reading: Practical Magic
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krista-michelle86.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by [Krista_Michelle86] »

Idk if anyone else has recommended it yet, but The Shell Seekers by Rosamunde Pilcher is a good one. Also, Coming Home (same author) is set just before and during WWII, but I'm not sure of that one yet as I've just started it :))
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

How much of WWII are we talking about? I studied the Spanish Civil War in college, which (according to my professors and therefore me) is a huge part of WWII. I just recommended this to someone else, but Carlos Ruiz Zafon writes beautiful historical fantasy fictions. If you enjoyed Pan's Labyrinth by Guillermo del Toro, I think you would enjoy Zafon's work. Check out the Cemetary of Forgotten Books - it's the title of a cycle of books he's written that can be read in any order or individually.
Sadie105
Currently Reading: Hawk of May
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by Sadie105 »

So many options! Most recently I read "Villa Triste" by Lucretia Grindle. It's long but I thought it was well done. Covers a snippet of people / place that I hadn't previously read much about.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

I'm sure you've read it - because everyone has - but The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas!
There's also Let Me go - My Mother and the SS by Helga Schneider. Not at all like the book above, but chilling all the same.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

How much WWII do you want in the book? Shanghai Girls by Lisa See takes place in that era, but isn't focused on the war or the Holocaust.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”