A Book to Make Me Think and a Book to Make Me Laugh

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
MishM1
Favorite Book: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Currently Reading: Five Knocks
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mishm1.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

A Book to Make Me Think and a Book to Make Me Laugh

Post by MishM1 »

I've been longing for a good book that would be hard to put down. I like books that make me think about life, humanity and human nature, something with a little psychology. I don't enjoy crude humour or gory scenes too much but if it's an exceptional read, feel free to suggest, just give me a little heads up.

To balance it out, I'd also like a book to relieve the tension, a funny little something to help me unwind after a long day. I enjoy realistic fiction or even a book of short stories. If you know of anything, feel free to suggest it below.
Mishael M.
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

If you want to think along the lines of world issues though, fiction Final Notice will definitely give you food for thought.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Yulanie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Yulanie »

For your ‘book to make me think’ try A Secret History by Donna Tart
Noraine Alissa Poria
Currently Reading: Bro Code
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noraine-alissa-poria.html
Latest Review: The Making Of A Con by Grace Larson

Post by Noraine Alissa Poria »

Try the book Good Luck With That by Kristan Higgins, it's a really nice book, it's both funny and emotional, it also discuss a lot about body issues and other internal issues about physical appearance.

Also try the book Can You Keep a Secret by Sophie Kinsella. It's the kind of Laugh out loud book, it's super funny, romantic and a bit of drama.
Likey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Likey »

MishM1 wrote: 30 Jul 2018, 12:57 I've been longing for a good book that would be hard to put down. I like books that make me think about life, humanity and human nature, something with a little psychology. I don't enjoy crude humour or gory scenes too much but if it's an exceptional read, feel free to suggest, just give me a little heads up.

To balance it out, I'd also like a book to relieve the tension, a funny little something to help me unwind after a long day. I enjoy realistic fiction or even a book of short stories. If you know of anything, feel free to suggest it below.
I'd recommend Guy de Maupassant - he is a 19th century writer, however the things he wrote about are still relevant. His short stories are fantastic - they reveal human nature in a funny way.

Also I've just read a book which does both - some parts of it make you think about humanity and some are easy to read and a lot of fun. It is called "Tramps, Thieves and IT" by Val Grian - this is contemporary.
thebookaholic1
Currently Reading: Brave New Worlds
Bookshelf Size: 529
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thebookaholic1.html
Latest Review: In Pursuit of The Pale Prince by Mark Wallace

Post by thebookaholic1 »

The Little Prince by Antoine de-saint Exupery will make you laugh, cry and think at the same time.

It's a classic.
sarbearah
Currently Reading: Year One
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarbearah.html
Latest Review: Lara's Journal by A. Gavazzoni
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by sarbearah »

For books to make you think, I suggest Anthem by Ayn Rand or Tuesdays With Morrie by Mitch Albom! Both are great novels that are some of my favorites because they made me just sit and think, but also made me experience great emotion.

As for humorous books, I just read one that was hilarious, although a little raunchy. It is a modern romance novel called Dirty by Kylie Scott. It is pretty realistic for a romance, with a great body-positive message and good characters. Although it is a bit of a stretch, it might just wind up being your cup of tea. :)
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." - George R. R. Martin

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”