Agatha Christie like Crime Novels

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
april fools
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Agatha Christie like Crime Novels

Post by april fools »

Hi guys. :) I have a hard time finding books to read. I'd be grateful if you could recommend me some.
I'd like a "cozy crime" book. I love the scenes that revolve around home, house, housekeeping, casual daily routines. Beautiful gardens, English cottages, tea & biscuits are a bonus! And of course a good old fashioned murder is expected. :)
However, I don't like books that a plain or "too sweet". I enjoy a good and unexpected narative. Another thing is that English is my second language so I need novels that would be written in a simple manner. No Shakespeare. :) For example I found "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" too hard to read in English and had to look for a translated version.

The last crime story that I liked was The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. One of the important features of the book was the house of the main character (so house/home theme), I also loved the pace of the story evolving.
Last book that I did NOT enjoy was Call from an Angel by Musso. Too sugary and cliche, unrealistic & too easy to read. :)

Ah, I hope you can help me out! Thank you for any suggestions. :)
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

Try reading books by Mary Higgins Clark. They are very well written and shouldn't be overly complicated.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Aubrey009
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbok
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Aubrey009 »

Recently finished reading "Cozy Mystery: 20 Stories for readers who like Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot by Jane Wagner. I would recommend it. Have not read his books yet but Rinald S. Barak has been described as a blend of Christie, Lee Child and John Lescroart.
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

Have you read any books by Francis Duncan? Last year, I read "Murder has a Motive" and "Murder for Christmas" by that specific author. They are good reads if you are a fan of Agatha Christie. If you like those books, I know there are more books by that author....
jkmalik
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by jkmalik »

My mom loves M.C. Beaton. She has been hailed the new "Queen of Crime", for quite some time, now. She *definitely* has what you are looking for. All of her books are either in a village/cozy setting or in a cozy/historical setting. And her writing is quite readable.

The Agatha Raisin series is set in the Cotswolds.

The Hamish Macbeth series is set in Scotland.

And, she also has the Edwardian mysteries.

I believe she also writes romances.

Hope this helps.

-Jess
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Browneh »

Hey! I know you posted this a while ago but I've got some excellent recommendations for you!

An unwanted guest by Shari Lapena is like a modern Agatha Christie. Most of her books are also very good, but this one stood out as being most like Christie's work.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

If u like "The woman in the window" you will definitely like the "The Silent Patient" by Alex Michaelides. Read it and let me know which one you liked better.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”