Books to expand my mind.

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Icon Books to expand my mind.

Post by JR Mercier »

Hello people.
I'm looking to read books, doesn't matter what genre, that will expand my general knowledge and that are just a mind-blowing read. If it made you go, "WOW, what have I been doing all my life?" then I want to read it.
Any recommendations will be appreciated.
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Itameo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itameo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Itameo »

Hey there try Outliers by Melcolm Gladwill
The Story of Success is the third true to life book composed by Malcolm Gladwell and distributed by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008. In Outliers, Gladwell looks at the variables that add to elevated amounts of progress. To help his postulation, he inspects why the lion's share of Canadian ice hockey players are conceived in the initial couple of long stretches of the logbook year, how Microsoft prime supporter Bill Gates accomplished his extraordinary riches, how the Beatles ended up a standout amongst the best melodic acts in mankind's history, how Joseph Flom fabricated Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom into a standout amongst the best law offices on the planet, how social contrasts have a vast impact in apparent knowledge and balanced basic leadership, and how two individuals with outstanding insight, Christopher Langan and J. Robert Oppenheimer, wind up with such immensely extraordinary fortunes. All through the production, Gladwell over and again specifies the "10,000-Hour Rule", guaranteeing that the way to accomplishing world-class mastery in any aptitude, is, to a substantial degree, a matter of honing the right route, for a sum of around 10,000 hours, however the creators of the first investigation this depended on have debated Gladwell's utilization
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Itameo wrote: 20 Jun 2018, 20:50 Hey there try Outliers by Melcolm Gladwill
The Story of Success is the third true to life book composed by Malcolm Gladwell and distributed by Little, Brown and Company on November 18, 2008. In Outliers, Gladwell looks at the variables that add to elevated amounts of progress. To help his postulation, he inspects why the lion's share of Canadian ice hockey players are conceived in the initial couple of long stretches of the logbook year, how Microsoft prime supporter Bill Gates accomplished his extraordinary riches, how the Beatles ended up a standout amongst the best melodic acts in mankind's history, how Joseph Flom fabricated Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher and Flom into a standout amongst the best law offices on the planet, how social contrasts have a vast impact in apparent knowledge and balanced basic leadership, and how two individuals with outstanding insight, Christopher Langan and J. Robert Oppenheimer, wind up with such immensely extraordinary fortunes. All through the production, Gladwell over and again specifies the "10,000-Hour Rule", guaranteeing that the way to accomplishing world-class mastery in any aptitude, is, to a substantial degree, a matter of honing the right route, for a sum of around 10,000 hours, however the creators of the first investigation this depended on have debated Gladwell's utilization
That sounds like a fantastic read! It covers a wide variety and I've never heard of the "10,000-Hour Rule", but it sounds super interesting. Thank you so much for the recommendation! :tiphat:
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

pricklypurple wrote: 25 Jun 2018, 08:46 Confessions of an Economic Hitman by John Perkins
I appreciate all the recommendations. Thanks
Emo lesbean
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Emo lesbean »

Well mines gonna be more simple then everyones elses lol but the boy in the stripped pajamas ,the devils arithmetic , and the book thef these will change ur mind they are based around actual accurantses and lets u see wat it was like being of another religion then others
SallyGreen
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by SallyGreen »

Capital by Karl Marx
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

You should definitely try Ishmael by Daniel Quinn. This is the type of book that is not as it seems from the beginning. You are introduced to an unexpected teacher, Ishmael, who gives lessons to the main character about the world we live in, just by looking into his eyes. The book really has the ability to change the way you think, in the best of ways. I always recommend it to anyone I can.
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

You should try How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. One of the best books I've ever read.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

The Field by Lynne McTaggart. It is an easy-to-understand book on quantum physics and how it affects our everyday life. Mind-blowing!
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Master Key System by Charles F. Haanel if you have an interest in meditation/visualization. For an easier read, Women Who Run with Wolves or anything by Clarissa Pinkola Estes.
Tiffanyli
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tiffanyli.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tiffanyli »

Grit by Angela Duckworth is a good read if you're looking for a nonfiction. It's a great read that really helped me change my viewpoint of how to work towards being successful and to be someone who's a "genius" at what they do.
Cardui
Currently Reading: Legal Guide for the Visual Artist
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Cardui »

I recently read The Order of Time by Carlo Rovelli and was amazed by the concepts he discussed and the assumptions that we make about time which are completely inaccurate.
Eriny Youssef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eriny-youssef.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Eriny Youssef »

The Physics of God
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

Dalton Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun. I think it's one of the worst books I've ever read! It's about a soldier. The band Metallica wrote the song "One" about it back in the 80's. Sybil is about a woman with multiple personality disorder. Her mom seemed pretty terrible. Where the Red Fern Grows is a children's/young adult book about a boy and his two redbone coonhounds - pretty sad. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, A Clockwork Orange, Mary Shelly's Frankenstein as it is fairly different than the movies. All these books are also movies and they are all kind of depressing!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”