Saddest Love Story of All Time?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
TobiOrNotTobi
Currently Reading: Dracula
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Saddest Love Story of All Time?

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

In your opinion, what do you think is the saddest love story of all time? I'd love to read (if not read yet) the books you guys will mention because torturing yourself with the feels is what I do best :handgestures-thumbsup:
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

Love Story is one of the saddest romantic love stories and Brian's Song is one of the saddest friendship love stories. But the one that makes me cry every time? That would be Where The Red Fern Grows. Love comes in many forms.
TobiOrNotTobi

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

P0tt3ry wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 00:32 Love Story is one of the saddest romantic love stories and Brian's Song is one of the saddest friendship love stories. But the one that makes me cry every time? That would be Where The Red Fern Grows. Love comes in many forms.
I would have to say A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks is the saddest love story I've ever read. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton was another (mostly about friendship).

However I will check out the stories you've mentioned. :D
"Grief is deeper when the sun goes down and memories rise up with the moon and stars." - "A Lineage of Grace" by Francine Rivers
P0tt3ry
Favorite Book: The Dresden Files
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p0tt3ry.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by P0tt3ry »

TobiOrNotTobi wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 08:41
P0tt3ry wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 00:32 Love Story is one of the saddest romantic love stories and Brian's Song is one of the saddest friendship love stories. But the one that makes me cry every time? That would be Where The Red Fern Grows. Love comes in many forms.
I would have to say A Walk to Remember by Nicholas Sparks is the saddest love story I've ever read. The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton was another (mostly about friendship).

I haven't read A Walk to Remember but will look for it; The Notebook, also by Nicholas Sparks, was a good read. You may have already seen Love Story as a movie, a well-acted sad movie, but I found the book better.
AngieIs
Currently Reading: War and Peace
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angieis.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by AngieIs »

Where the Red Fern Grows and Charlotte's Web both got banned in my house growing up. Too much blubbering on my part every time Little Anne gave up or Charlotte spun her last web; Bridge to Terabithia was problematic as well.

You ever notice how many children's books are heartbreaking?
TobiOrNotTobi

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

[Spoiler]
P0tt3ry wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 10:56

I haven't read A Walk to Remember but will look for it; The Notebook, also by Nicholas Sparks, was a good read. You may have already seen Love Story as a movie, a well-acted sad movie, but I found the book better.
[/spoiler]

i have actually never seen the Love Story movie (nor heard of it).
TobiOrNotTobi

Post by TobiOrNotTobi »

AngieIs wrote: 22 Mar 2018, 23:03 Where the Red Fern Grows and Charlotte's Web both got banned in my house growing up. Too much blubbering on my part every time Little Anne gave up or Charlotte spun her last web; Bridge to Terabithia was problematic as well.

You ever notice how many children's books are heartbreaking?
I have indeed found many children's books heartbreaking (guilty myself for writing children's stories with sad endings). Even though they may be heartbreaking, they're loveable stories where you can go back to the beginning acting as if nothing ever happened. 😭
TaaraLynn
Currently Reading: To Selena, With Love
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taaralynn.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by TaaraLynn »

Wow, the Outsiders, yes! Gets my every time. When our class read that way back in the 7th grade, I refused to get over it. I will never understand why I felt the need to buy the VHS, two DVD editions, and buy my own book..... I guess I needed to feel the sadness at every angle.

A Walk to Remember, too, makes my heart skip beats and break. I've read it once, but for some reason I can't pick it up again. Just like the movie.
"Maybe the two different worlds we lived in weren't so different. We saw the same sunset." - Ponyboy Curtis, The Outsiders
vkmack
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by vkmack »

That all started with me very early on. The Velveteen Rabbit and Peter Pan both made me cry.
I agree completely with all the other books mentioned here. I managed to sob my way through Field of Dreams and Breakfast at Tiffany's, even though both made laugh at some interesting points. I think that's always a wonderful mixture.
Maja Saveva
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Maja Saveva »

The notebook or A walk to remember.
ScoutWrites
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Ink Spills
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scoutwrites.html
Latest Review: A Second, Less Capable Head by James Hanna

Post by ScoutWrites »

I haven't read many love stories, but The Fault in Our Stars by John Green is probably the most heartbreaking thing I've read, at least recently. If you've already read that one, his latest novel Turtles All the Way Down isn't quite as sad, but it deals with mental illness in a way that is kind of tragic.
love_b00ks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-love-b00ks.html
Latest Review: The Barnyard Buddies STOP for Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by love_b00ks »

I agree with Love Story then follow it up with its sequel, Oliver's Story. :)

"Love is never having to say you're sorry"
Dave
Bookshelf Size: 1

Post by Dave »

You should read "The Hessian" by Howard Fast. Its a story set during the closing year of the American Revolution, very well written, and as I recall quite a sad love story.
Nicholet Haumann
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 420
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholet-haumann.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nicholet Haumann »

The Mercy of Thin Air by Ronlyn Domingue. It is outstanding and I read it at least once a year. It is my favorite book.
palilogy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-palilogy.html
Latest Review: Mistress Suffragette by Diana Forbes

Post by palilogy »

I will jump on The Notebook bandwagon.
The story of their love makes me cry every time.
Plus the movie is equal cry worthy material plus the amazing scenes.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”