In Need of an Awesome Recommendation

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Ace Cold
Bookshelf Size: 0

In Need of an Awesome Recommendation

Post by Ace Cold »

I've been in a slump lately and every book I have picked up has left me unsatisfied. My favorite genres are post-apocalyptic and dystopian. I also really enjoy murder/mystery stories and the occasional romance. It is nearly impossible to find a well written superhero story that isn't a comic book.

As far as examples of things I enjoy...

The Resident Evil books are some of my favorites, alongside anything that involves zombies. Yeah, I know. I'm lame.

The Hannibal series by Thomas Harris.

Spider-Man/Deadpool and any kind of humorous comic book. This is more of an idea of what type of hero story I'm interested in. I'm pretty set in my comic tastes and don't need help there.

I will read gross, cheap romance novels, but they are always awful and painful to read. So any quality recommendations would be appreciated.
cascal312
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by cascal312 »

Have you tried American Gods by Neil Gaiman?
Alexcgates
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Alexcgates »

Check out Paul tremblays Head Full of Ghosts. It’s not so much post apocalyptic, but more along the lines of exorcist and ahs: Roanoke. However, it’s one of the best books I’ve read in a while.
Graceia
Currently Reading: Do a Little Wrong
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-graceia.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Graceia »

I would recommend 'Can I be Frank?' by Rob Wyatt and 'And then I met Margaret' by Rob White
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Try Sidney Sheldon books. Most of them are murder mysteries with romance as a side dish. Also, superhreo books are very rare indeed in novels. comic books are best in superhero genres, that i agree
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Imarru
Currently Reading: Rosario+Vampire, Vol. 6
Bookshelf Size: 462

Post by Imarru »

I don't come across many super hero books besides comic books, but I really enjoyed Super Powereds: Year 1 by Drew Hayes. I have not been able to get the second book in the series, so I don't know what the rest of the series is like.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Superhero books: The Reckoners series by Brandon Sanderson (these are actually post-apocalyptic superhero books). Renegades by Marissa Meyer. There's the H.I.V.E series by Mark Walden, which is more supervillains.

I'm not a big romance reader, but I enjoy Sawyer's Bennett's books, especially her Love Hurts series.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Jenwelling
Currently Reading: The Sword of Summer
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenwelling.html
Latest Review: The 11.05 Murders by Brian O'Hare
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Jenwelling »

Big fan of The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher, and the Nightside series by Simon R. Green.
facelesswoodsman
Currently Reading: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-facelesswoodsman.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by facelesswoodsman »

Try Wool by Hugh Howey! It's an exceptional dystopian novel with a complex story, a vividly described world that feels terrifyingly real, and very well-developed characters. Dystopian is my least favorite genre and yet I still adore Wool, (which just goes to show you how well-written it is!) so if you're a fan of the genre I'm sure you'll absolutely love it!
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Post by KasieMiehlke »

The Louis Kincaid Series by P.J. Parrish is a great murder/mystery series. Most of them take place in Michigan or Florida. I think there are 8 or so in the entire series.
EllieLieberman
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Drank the Moon
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellielieberman.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by EllieLieberman »

If you enjoy dystopian, I highly recommend We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. It was before Brave New World or 1984. It is one of my favorites and a must read if you're into dystopian. I also recommend Brave New World if you haven't read it yet. It's another one of my favorites!
Carahy6
Currently Reading: Harley Merlin and the Secret Coven
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Carahy6 »

I see you have already been recommended The Dresden Files but it bears repeating as they are one of my favorite series.
In addition I really enjoyed the reluctant hero type in Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

If you're into steampunk and conflict then I might suggest the Leviathan trilogy. It's technically a fictional series that takes place during WWI, but I always got a sort of distopian/pre-apocalyptic vibe from it. They use insane inventions and fabricated animals as their weapons and transportation. It's pretty fun to read.

Don't know if talking animals are your cup of tea, but one by a favorite author of mine since a young age is the Survivors series by Erin Hunter, following packs of wild/stray dogs in the aftermath of an apocalyptic earthquake that leaves these former pets and other canines fighting for survival and seeking out familiar faces.

Lastly, though I haven't read it, I've heard from a majority of people that World War Z by Max Brooks was a great zombie novel, and was better than the movie due to it, well, being the source material. The ending is different in the book and has a significantly different flow from what I've heard. I want to check it out myself, but figured I'd give it a boost, anyhow.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”