Dark Fantasy Novels help!

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
DarkFantasy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Dark Fantasy Novels help!

Post by DarkFantasy »

Hello! DarkFantasy here I know this may of been asked before but I have specific interests in books. I truly only read fantasy, high-fantasy, steampunk, and of course, dark fantasy. Now, I would love a book/book series that has the brutality of a song of ice and fire (A game of thrones) and the fantasy elements of the Witcher series. Does anyone know of a book that has fantasy races/fantasy elements and and adult-themed storyline?
seeker19
Currently Reading: The Trials of Apollo
Bookshelf Size: 506
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seeker19.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by seeker19 »

I really liked the Fever series by Karen Marie Moning. It's a fantasy book and has very adult themes with a lot of dark themes (murder, killing, a lot of sex) as well I would say. It is about a girl who's sister is murdered in Ireland, and so she flies to Ireland to figure out what happened. During her investigation, she gets dragged into the world of the fae and mystery and there is a really hot, brooding guy in it too. The plot is really awesome from what I can remember. The MC is very sarcastic and badass, but she has flaws too which is awesome. I haven't heard of the Witcher series, so I don't know if it is similar, but you should definitely give this series a read!
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
Fantasy lover
Currently Reading: Haunt

Post by Fantasy lover »

Heart of mist book 1 on Amazon is close to what you are looking for from what I can tell I am about to start reading this soon.
EllieA
Currently Reading: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elliea.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by EllieA »

Not sure if these are dark fantasy, but they aren't exactly cheerful, so:

I rather like The Rivers of London series by Ben Aaronovitch. It's about a police officer who begins learning magic after murders with supernatural elements begin popping up. Not super advanced reading, but a lot of fun with a bit of murder, dark magic, and fey creatures.

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan is great if you are looking for epic fantasy. Honestly, I haven't re-read it in ages but it was a solid favorite of mine for a long time. It has an elegantly and realistically constructed world full of warring kingdoms, good vs evil, magic, and destinies. A little bit of adult stuff, both violent and sexual, but the main theme is epic adventure. Plot is based around the Hero's Journey of the main character and covers pretty extensive side plots with the supporting cast.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Maybe not dark exactly, but there's murder, brutality, torture, and lots of fantasy elements.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Jdalba2018 »

I agree with the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. I really enjoyed the first 12 books and am looking forward to read the rest of them
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

Kelley Armstrong; Otherworld series. Brilliant set of books, I've added it to my annual reading list
whitmo30

Post by whitmo30 »

Black dagger brotherhood! Dark fantasy world that i escaped to every weekend. Each book is based on a brother. Who he is, what he craves, his demons, and the brotherhoods fight against "evil" while changing the old world views to accommodate the ever changing new world they live in. My favorite series hands down.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”