Looking for an immersive new world

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
glitterrain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glitterrain.html
Latest Review: Demon Freaks by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Re: Looking for an immersive new world

Post by glitterrain »

The Deed of Paksenarrion series by Elizabeth Moon, both the original trilogy (if you can find it) and the sequel series written something like 20 years later. The author was in the military, so her knowledge of things like training, disciplinary issues, military structure and how a mercenary company fits into the larger economic and social network is really on display. Plus the main character is amazing, super relatable.
Holli
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Holli »

A book that I really enjoyed is illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff . It follows a girl protagonist and how she survives her world falling apart. This book is romance, Syfy, dystopian world that brings the world to life with interesting writing choice and stands out among other books because of its writing style and beautiful story line
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by ericahs »

AbbyGNelson wrote: 21 Jan 2018, 17:35 Read anything by Brandon Sanderson. If you want a series read Mistborn. If you want a standalone, read either Elantris or Warbreaker.
MIstborn really hits all the things shes looking for. I loved loved the series
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don’t.- Douglas Adams
AshleyFNoe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by AshleyFNoe »

Have you read "Brave new World" by Adouls Huxley? You might like it. Sorry if its possible I misspelled the name. Its been a while. Ashley Noe
TaylorAyers
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-taylorayers.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by TaylorAyers »

If you are looking for an immersive world, Cassandra Clare is the way to go. She has several series that exist within the same fantastical world, what she calls The Shadow World. These series include

The Mortal Instruments (6 books)
The Internal Devices (3 books)
The Dark Artifices (soon to be 3 books)

She also has 2 collections of shorts stories that follow side characters within her stories. They are

The Bane Chronicles, and
Tales from Shadowhunter Academy.

I really recommend them to anyone who wants to get lost in another world.
kfwilson6
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Lord of Chaos
Bookshelf Size: 298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kfwilson6.html
Latest Review: The Stone Wall Crossing by Alice Schellhorn Magrane
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by kfwilson6 »

Court of Thorns and Roses series and Throne of Glass series both by Sarah J. Maas
Six of Crows Duology by Leigh Bordago
Allie_L
Currently Reading: The Name of the Wind
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by Allie_L »

I would definitely recommend the Lightbringer Series by Brent Weeks, especially if you enjoy character building. Never have I read a series where the characters go through such growth and change, as well as some personality plot-twists, which is a strange concept in itself. The world is immersive involving its own variety of magic, culture, and religion and its written from multiple points of view so something is always happening somewhere. I definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys fantasy.
icarb03

Post by icarb03 »

I would definitely suggest the Throne of Glass series it is incredible and VERY immersive. A good long read great for rainy days!!
Sarah G
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-g.html
Latest Review: Smith by Sam B Miller II
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Sarah G »

I wiuld definitely recommend Brandon Sanderson and his mistborn trilogy. Entirely different world to this with magic. Story set where the bad guy has won and is ruling. Sanderson is an epic world builder :-)
The purpose of a storyteller is not to tell you how to think, but to give you questions to think upon
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Post by desantismt_17 »

Absolutely second Shades of Magic--so good. Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson (and anything else he writes). Also, the Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
JJ30

Post by JJ30 »

If you want something fun, easy reading (and very romance/sex led - not like your mills and boon) try Blackdagger brotherhood. About vampires but not the sparkly kind. Its about a band of brothers who fight lessers (heartless slayers turned by the devil) and each book is one brothers story. They are seriously addictive and great fun.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”