Series for a teenager

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
KasieMiehlke
Currently Reading: The Hidden Village
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kasiemiehlke.html
Latest Review: Superhighway 2 by Alex Fayman

Series for a teenager

Post by KasieMiehlke »

My nephew, 12 going on 13, just discovered that he likes the horror/paranormal genre after he read "Asylum". I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on books for him after he finishes this series?
Mallory Whitaker
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mallory-whitaker.html
Latest Review: Color Me American by Silvia Sama-Lambiv

Post by Mallory Whitaker »

"Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" is a trilogy (and I think there are more planned) that could work!
Shelf Fulfilled
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Shelf Fulfilled »

"Michael Vey", is a great Sci-fi action series for boys. In our school library my most reluctant readers come back for more! So far there are six of them.
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

Anthony Horowitz - The Power of Five series, five super-powered teens against end of the world. James Dashner - The Maze Runner (boys trapped in a maze in a world of the future, exciting stuff. Suzanne Collins - The Hunger Games (although that has a female lead), Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game, boys learning to fight in space. Rick Riordan - Lightning Thief etc. Pittacus Lore - the Lorien saga, starting with I am Number Four. Lots more!
Julez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julez.html
Latest Review: Last Dance by Stephen Manning

Post by Julez »

How about Raven's Peak. I'm sure it's well up your nephew's lane. There is no romantic interest between the main characters which balances well with the storyline. You can check out my review on it but I'm pretty sure your nephew will enjoy this one.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

I agree with all of the recommendations. The Darkest Minds is also a great series. The Maze runner or the Monstrumulogist.
SPasciuti
Favorite Author: Marissa Meyer
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 46410">The Wendy</a>
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spasciuti.html
Latest Review: Samuel by Samuel kidstar
fav_author_id: 2388

Post by SPasciuti »

He might really like the Gone series by Michael Grant. It's got some horror elements in it and is a really addictive read. In the YA genre.
chrystalheart
Currently Reading: Fire and fury
Bookshelf Size: 725
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystalheart.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by chrystalheart »

The Morganville Vampires by Rachel Caine is a solid fantasy/horror series. It includes a ghost as a protagonist. Many twists and turns. Great good fun.
WFrazer98

Post by WFrazer98 »

Cirque Du Freak series and The Demonata Series both series by Darren Shan
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

Divided we fall by Reddy, My Sister Rosa (think Stephen King for the teen set), R. L. Stine is releasing new Fear Street books, There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins, One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus, This is Our Story by Ashley Elston
ChloeParker

Post by ChloeParker »

The Maze Runner trilogy is a fast paced, heart racing book that i certainly enjoyed reading from start to finish. i was up all night and couldn't put it down the next day.
Rangerkay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rangerkay.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Rangerkay »

Ted Dekker has the Circle Series. (Red, Green, White, Black?). That was really popular in my middle/high school years and is still a great series. Suzanne Collins with the Hunger Games. Kaylee Dolat has a young adult paranormal Codename: Alexander.

If he's really into more of the supernatural side of things I would highly suggest Ted Dekker, Kaylee Dolat, and Frank Peretti's novels. There is another series....Miss Peregrine's Home...something like that? One of my friends swore by that series, but I haven't read it yet. The Pretty series was great, but that might be better for girls. There are a few more I would suggest, but I think the themes are too mature for that age group.

Also, if he's into Manga I could give some suggestions for that as well.
Mrs Manta

Post by Mrs Manta »

I love The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare but her Infernal Devices series is even better. I also love the Academy Series by C L Stone.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I second the Maze Runner series! The 5th Wave is the first book in a trilogy by Rick Yancy. My son, who is also 12, and I read both of those series'. He also likes R.L. Stine books (both the Goosebumps and Fear Street series'). I know of others, but I think they are more for a bit older teens.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Harry Potter for sure. I keep recommending it on this forum, but really, it is such a complex book.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”