Having syfy fantasy withdraws

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Alhen James
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6028">The Darkest Hour</a>
Currently Reading: Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 136

Re: Having syfy fantasy withdraws

Post by Alhen James »

Love sci fi and fantasy stories too. Try Lunar Chronicles by Lucy Monroe, Fantasy Land and The Three, both by Kristen Ashley,
NerdGirl91
Bookshelf Size: 63
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerdgirl91.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by NerdGirl91 »

Ill look into it! Thanks
She read books as one would breathe air, to fill up and live.
-Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
The Simi Reighn
Favorite Book: fantasy lover
Currently Reading: Upon the Midnight Clear
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by The Simi Reighn »

Hi I just started this book club thing, like you I have no book lovers in the home other than myself.
I found this book it is not a series but it got me started on my hunt for fantasy books. The book is called Heart's Blood by Juliet Marillier. I am a huge Kenyon fan and am working on my collection of her books.

Geralyn Dawson is another great author she did the Bad Luck Bride series!(Fantasy/ western)
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

For me, the king of sci-fi world building is Iain M. Banks with his Culture Series (Starts with ‘Consider Phlebas’. They have a fair bit of sexual content which I’m not a big fan of but the adventures and different alien cultures are fantastic. You can read books in the series as stand alone books but he builds up the meta story over all of them.

To lean in a more fantasy-heavy direction, I’d recommend some David Eddings. Maybe starting with his Belgariad series. Eddings himself said he was never going to win a Nobel prize for literature but he was a phenomenal storyteller and character creator. They’re pretty easy books but full of some of my favourite characters ever.
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Redargen120
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Redargen120 »

Hi Roxanna!

Have you tried the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher? There are about 15 books; so if you like a series, this should keep you busy for a little while!

The books take place in modern-day Chicago and follow Harry Dresden, a Wizard, who consults for the local police department to help solve "unusual crimes". (Forgive my very basic description... they are not lame!) The books are incredibly well written, witty, and engaging.

Though the subject matter is of the fantasy realm, Jim Butcher crafts the stories in such a way as to make the fantastic seem like it could completely be a part of our world.

These are written in first person narrative (which not for everyone), but in this case I believe it adds to the story/character. You get a sense of what is in Harry Dresden's head and are entertained by his cynicism and banter.

Hope you enjoy it!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”