Books about books?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
kileiah
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kileiah.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Books about books?

Post by kileiah »

I'm looking for books for book lovers: fiction that features a book in the story, an author, libraries, or a love for words and reading in general. I don't mind if it's targeted at a younger or older audience, and most genres appeal to me as long as the language is interesting. Some books I've read in this category that I've enjoyed: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón, The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
DancingSouls
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dancingsouls.html

Post by DancingSouls »

UnEnchanted (An Unfortunate Fairy Tale Book 1) by Chanda Hahn is about an unlucky girl named Mina Grime. It involves the Grimm stories coming to life in modern day. A book plays a pretty big role in the story. You can get the first one for free.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

The Neverending Story, by Michael Ended. Fantastic children's/young adult story. Really just a book for all ages.

I reread it every now and then, would probably have a fit if anything ever happened to my copy :lol:
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
DATo
Previous Member of the Month
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by DATo »

We had a great discussion which took place back in 2012 about a book which fits your description. It is called 84 Charing Cross Road.

Rather than go into it here I will simply refer you to the thread (which was epic - 11 pages of comments).

forums.onlinebookclub.org/viewtopic.php ... mp;t=10551

This one is a winner - trust me.
“I just got out of the hospital. I was in a speed reading accident. I hit a book mark and flew across the room.”
― Steven Wright
Tami216-
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tami216.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by Tami216- »

Inkheart series is for middle grade readers and it's about stories coming into real life. It's a pretty good book.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
kileiah

Post by kileiah »

Thank you all for your amazing suggestions. I'm adding all of these to my to-read list immediately! I also took a peek at the 2012 thread about Charing Cross Rd and it sounds like something right up my alley, and a story with so much history behind it. I feel as if I've really been missing out all this time!
Sarah_Khan
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 3700">Gone With the Wind</a>
Currently Reading: Circe
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-khan.html
Latest Review: The Formidable King by Alyssa J. Montgomery

Post by Sarah_Khan »

I recommend reading The Cemetery of Forgotten Books series by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. They're great books that are incredibly well-written!
DiverseSpirit
Currently Reading: Last Train to Istanbul
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diversespirit.html

Post by DiverseSpirit »

The Club Dumas by Arturo Perez-Reverte. I think this book was translated from another language like French or Spanish.

They made a movie about it, but it was not a 100% accurate reflection of the storyline in the book. The movie was called The Ninth Gate, starring Johnny Depp.

The book is about a book detective who is hunting down rare editions of books. He was hired to authenticate part of an original manuscript of The Three Musketeers. However, he ends up getting in the middle of occult events... This is where I stop explaining because it is a Mystery/Adventure type of book. It can get a little violent in some parts. From what I remember, it was an intense book to read. If I were to rate this book, it would be Rated R. It is an awesome book though!!!
StephThyng
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephthyng.html
Latest Review: "The Banned Book about Love" by Scott Hughes

Post by StephThyng »

The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is an amazing read and so fun to follow along with. It's light and entertaining. It's a book about a bookstore owner who has the only bookstore on Alice Island. The main character is miserable, grieving the death of his wife, but gets shaken quickly when he finds a toddler in his children's book section of the store.
Damy13
Currently Reading: Yes please!
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damy13.html

Post by Damy13 »

The Book Theif by Makus Zusak. It's about a young girl and her love for books. A very moving story and an equally nice movie.
kileiah

Post by kileiah »

Thank you all for your great suggestions! As mentioned I've already read the ones by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and Markus Zusak, and I totally agree those were spectacular. I've never heard of the Club Dumas and I love mysteries, so it sounds perfect! The Storied Life of A.J. Fikry is equally intriguing, and I can't wait to get started on all these!
Artiste8

Post by Artiste8 »

There have been great suggestions already. Also, there is The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. Part of it is in a bookstore if I remember correctly. I haven't read The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop by Lewis Buzbee. I plan to read it as it is all about books and seems interesting.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

"The Invisible Library" by Genevieve Cogman
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
shalako
Currently Reading: Enter, night
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shalako.html

Post by shalako »

S. by JJ Abrams is a great book about a book, a mysterious author, and two book-loving friends having an adventure. The way it's written makes readers feel like they're involved, helping to solve the mystery. The story is told through handwritten notes in the margins of a library book called Ship of Theseus
cosmosfromchaos
Currently Reading: The Secret of Lost Things
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by cosmosfromchaos »

I really enjoyed Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan. It had a cool perspective on how books and tech can interact. I'm in the middle of reading The Secret of Lost Things by Sheridan Hay. The main character works in a quirky bookstore and has a unique relationship withe works and letters of Herman Melville. I'm 3/4 of the way through and am eager to see how it ends!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”