Self-help book suggestions

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Mounkyy
Bookshelf Size: 0

Icon Self-help book suggestions

Post by Mounkyy »

Hello. Can anyone please suggest a helpful book about how to become a whole being on your own; i.e. being emotionally self-sufficient and satisfied with yourself first?

Thank you.
TangledinText
Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookfix-blog.html
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks

Post by TangledinText »

Living with Intent: My Somewhat Messy Journey to Purpose, Peace, and Joy by Mallika Chopra I absolutely loved. It had a humorous view of how she struggled through self discovery and gave you a guideline on how to do it yourself. It brought me on my own journey figuring out what I wanted out of life and how to accomplish it so I had a feeling of purpose once I finished.
Latest Review: "Audiobooks.com Book of your Choice" by Audiobooks
Victor Zuanazzi

Post by Victor Zuanazzi »

4 Hours Work Week -> Tim Ferris looks like a scam, but t definetly changed some of my concepts about life and work.

It is not my favorite: the 7 habits of highly effective people, but it ,ay work for you.

Good luck =]
Vijay

Post by Vijay »

4 Hours work week has good points to make, but I think it is not practical for some one who is employed. Some of the ideas like hiring a virtual assistant is great, but too much of a stress. I love books like Getting things done which provides a more systematic approach to getting things done.
BobW

Post by BobW »

If I understand what you are asking, then I think these two would be a good fit:
Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It by Kamal Ravikant
The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Debbie Ford

Some other good ones you might want to consider:
Emotional Alchemy: How the Mind Can Heal the Heart by Tara Bennett-Goleman
Dare to Desire by John Eldredge
Letting Go of the Person You Used to Be by Lama Surya Das

I thought all of these were great books. Just think the first 2 are the closest fit to what you are looking for. Best,
Bob
smbasham

Post by smbasham »

Hello All. Since I am new to this sight I was curious if anyone could suggest some good reads on Bipolar disorder please? I'm not sure if there is any books of that sort on this site but as I have a family member with the disorder, it would be of help. Thank you!
winsky1989
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 710">Pride and Prejudice</a>
Currently Reading: Pride, Prejudice and Push-Up-Bras
Bookshelf Size: 1971
Reading Device: B00YD542NO

Post by winsky1989 »

You Are a Badass: How to Stop Doubting Your Greatness and Start Living an Awesome Life by Jen Sincero might be worth a shot Mounkyy. I know I want to read it know reading about it on Goodreads.

-- 02 Oct 2016, 21:12 --

Smbasham, are you looking for more of a clinical or 1st person account/memoir of what it's like to live with it? I could probably find either one and if it's not already on here I can just add it for you.
Lucinda Nevarez
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucinda-nevarez.html

Post by Lucinda Nevarez »

Thought field therapy book called "Tapping the healer within". I suggest this book because it allows you understand your emotional points in your mind. All you need is tap a few places on yourself, which the book tells you where and how, then you will feel better emotionally. The technique is so easy and you don't need anything just your hands. It works, as I have tapped my depression, anxiety, and frustration away. You can tap just to be really happy which will help you produce results in any area of your life like being self-sufficient.
One other book I recommend is "The Magic Of Thinking Big". Now this will really allow you to expand your mind to become self-sufficient.

-- 03 Oct 2016, 14:12 --

There is a really awesome good read you need to have on your bookshelf. It is called "See You At The Top" by Zig Ziglar. It will help you with self image and being successful in any area of your life.
Sufi

Post by Sufi »

Awaiting the Golden Age - a book to start that first step with philosophical thoughts and exercises to reach your own freedom.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

THE book for you is "What a time to be alone" by Chidera Eggerue, a.k.a. The Slumflower. It's filled with advice, personal experiences and nuggets of wisdom about being by yourself and enjoying it! It has very cool graphics too.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death&nbsp;
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Anything by Louise Hay. She's excellent! :)
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”