Books & BLM

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
ashleyw98
Bookshelf Size: 0

Books & BLM

Post by ashleyw98 »

Books are a resource. They are a way for us to become educated on a variety of topics. As a non-Black person I have made an effort to become more educated on the Black Lives Matter movement and the systemic racism plaguing the United States. In my journey to be a better ally and a more educated individual, I have turned to books. What books do you recommend either by a black author, an anti-racist resource, etc. that everyone should read? Let's use our love of books for good, and become better-educated people and fight against this human rights issue.
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

Well, I think a great place to start (if you have not already) is at the Black Lives Matter website where you can read about what they stand for which, I was surprised to find, is more than just advocating that black lives matter.
Hope this helped! :-)
-Thea M. Frederick
Adrianna Melillo
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: Revolutionary Mothers
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adrianna-melillo.html
Latest Review: Spring Fed by Bill Plyler

Post by Adrianna Melillo »

I feel I'm in a similar position as you, which makes me feel a bit odd about giving you reading advice on this topic. But, as I'm on a similar quest to learn more, I figured I'd share:

Today I picked up a copy of The Autobiography of Malcom X, which was recommended to me as a great place to start.

Anything by Toni Morrison has also been recommended.

Earlier this year I read Chasing the Scream by Johann Hari. This is a book about the war on drugs (beginning with its origins and leading up to today). While this is not a book centered on the topic of institutional racism (or BLM), it opened my eyes a lot to how much of a role racism played in the start of the war on drugs. It also shows how differently people who are caught with drugs are handled based off the color of their skin.

I hope this is helpful!
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

Not long ago someone recommended the book Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman. It's a story where in the past Africa colonized Europe and made them their slaves and takes place in the 21st century. Those with darker skin (Crosses) stand in power whilst those with lighter skin (Noughts) don't receive the same rights as Crosses. It made me question the society we live in but also helped me understand everything much better. Hope this helped!😉
Arina Siaban
Currently Reading: The Course of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arina-siaban.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B01KWX0EL4

Post by Arina Siaban »

Hi! Recently there's been a high release of such books and it's amazing seeing people more invested in reading them than ever. That being said, here are a few of my favorites:

- How To Be An Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World, and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad
- So You Want to Talk About Race by Ijeoma Oluo
- Stamped: Racism, Antiracism, and You by Jason Reynolds and Ibram X. Kendi
- Hood Feminism: Notes from the Women That a Movement Forgot by Mikki Kendall
- How We Fight for Our Lives by Saeed Jones
Varsha22
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-varsha22.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Varsha22 »

The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas is a very powerful book and very relevant considering the state of our society.
This book will make you think, cry and sympathesize to the reality most black people have to live in.
And maybe you'll understand some things better.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”