Book Suggestion for Middle School Students? (Age 11-13)

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
VivianLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianlove.html
Latest Review: False Trails by Whittney Corum

Icon Book Suggestion for Middle School Students? (Age 11-13)

Post by VivianLove »

I am going to be an 8th-grade teacher in the fall, and even though I am not an English teacher, I would like to have a shelf of books in the classroom for my students to borrow and read!

What book would you recommend to middle schoolers? What book did you read in middle school that changed your life? I am especially looking for books with diverse characters. Thanks for your recommendations! :techie-studyingbrown:
Koltrast
Currently Reading: The Eye of Illumination
Bookshelf Size: 241
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-koltrast.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Koltrast »

Inkheart trilogy by Cornelia Funke has been a favourite of mine from the first time I read it until now, but I was a little older than 11-13 when I read it the first time. The main character, Meggie, is 12 in the first book.
"Oh, how do you solve a problem like Maria?
How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?"
- The Sound of Music
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I think some great reads for that age group are Little Women and Greenglass House.
Little Women because it is so beautiful and heartwarming as well as just being such a good example of how it can be hard, but possible to overcome our faults.
Greenglass House is a mystery and a fun read because it has a diverse set of characters and is super engaging because you keep wanting to know what is going to happen next. I think the two main characters are in their young teenage years.I read this when I was a little older than thirteen but my younger sister read it at that age and really liked it! (Plus, it's fun to try and puzzle out the answer before the mystery is revealed!)
-Thea M. Frederick
EmmaZ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emmaz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by EmmaZ »

I absolutely recommend the Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz. Alex Rider is basically like James Bond, only he's fourteen years old. I remember how difficult it was for me to put those books down, I really enjoyed them. I also used to love the Adventure Island Mysteries by Helen Moss, also a great series for Middle School Students.
Justine Ocsebio
Currently Reading: Dancing Under The Stars
Bookshelf Size: 245
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-justine-ocsebio.html
Latest Review: Chess! A Beautiful Game for People of All Ages by Sinclair Wilkinson

Post by Justine Ocsebio »

Percy Jackson series!! A lot of adventure and the characters were in the same age bracket as them.
Eunice Geres
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 145
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eunice-geres.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Eunice Geres »

I found a book in my school library, and everytime I want to disappear from everyone, I would hide between the shelves and sit in the floor reading this book. It's called Calling on Dragons by Patricia Wrede. It used to be a great getaway for me.
Pluma
Favorite Book: Wonks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pluma.html
Latest Review: Tales of the 70's by D.Done

Post by Pluma »

Some great books I enjoyed at the age you specified included the Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan, the Viking Quest series by Lois Walfrid Johnson and the Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis. I also liked the Little House on the Prairie books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.
m+c4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-c4.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by m+c4 »

• Any of Jacqueline Wilson's books.
  • The Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer.
  • Bridge to Terebithia by Katherine Paterson.
  • George by Alex Gino.
  • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling.
  • The Lord of the Rings Series by J.R.R. Tolkien.
Dzejn_Crvena
Favorite Book: The Greater Understanding
Currently Reading: The Wish List
Bookshelf Size: 2318
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dzejn-crvena.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dzejn_Crvena »

FRONT DESK by Kelly Yang
(about a first-generation Chinese girl in the USA, helps to motivate students to learn a foreign language)

DEAR MR. HENSHAW by Beverly Cleary
(helps kids express more about themselves in writing)

I read them as an adult and they're the books my younger self would love!
just call me "jane" :tiphat:
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

It's been a long time since I read children's books! I would agree that the Narnia and Little House on the Prairie would be good. I read a lot of James Herriot books in Middle School. I think Judy Blume wrote a lot of books intended for children that age. S.E. Hinton. I think I only read a few of them - Rumble Fish and The Outsiders. Encyclopedia Brown books, maybe? A Series of Unfortunate Events. I would recommend Harry Potter, but I actually haven't read those! A nice collection of short stories would be nice as would a book of poetry. Robert Frost, of course, comes to mind. Selected stories by Poe. I don't know of any of the top of my head though! Aesop's Fables and some Kipling. Maybe a little Jack London? Call of the Wild and White Fang. Robinson Crusoe"Bartleby the Scrivener" by Melville is a good short story, "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Coleridge, "The Grand Inquisitor" is a part of Dostoevsky's The Brother's Karamazov and has a religious theme. The Red Pony and Of Mice and Men, To Kill a Mockingbird. The Pearl. My Antonia by Cather. Books providing an introduction to different things in life: mathematics, physics, computer, inventors, politicians, philosophers, explorers, sports, cars, etc. One book I really enjoyed was From the Mixed-up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler. Black Beauty. An age appropriate cookbook? Good luck!
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
nata_mak
Currently Reading: Japanese Plays
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by nata_mak »

I read Brian Jakes. Although there are a lot of children's books and most of them are wonderful.
Esther11
Favorite Book: The Shining
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esther11.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Esther11 »

Space Case by Stuart Gibbs. It is a really interesting book with a big fat plot twist, and the language is suitable for middle schoolers. The protagonist in the book is still a teenager.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

VivianLove wrote: 25 May 2020, 20:27 I am going to be an 8th-grade teacher in the fall, and even though I am not an English teacher, I would like to have a shelf of books in the classroom for my students to borrow and read!

What book would you recommend to middle schoolers? What book did you read in middle school that changed your life? I am especially looking for books with diverse characters. Thanks for your recommendations! :techie-studyingbrown:
Books by Tamora Pierce. She has strong female protagonists. I read her Song of the Lioness quartet when I was 12 and fell in love with it.
Liveforchrist51
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liveforchrist51.html
Latest Review: The Hundredth Time Around by Stacy Lee

Post by Liveforchrist51 »

1984 was the most amazing book I had ever read in middle school! I actually enjoyed going to class while we were focused on that particular book. Kids at that age need to have something so intriguing and mind-boggling to work their imaginations.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

It's difficult to say as my taste in books was different from my peers. The books that I read that interested me were
  • The House of Dies Drear
  • Tom Clancy's NetForce Explorers series
  • R.L. Stein's Fear Street series
  • Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them
  • The Amber Brown series
  • The Bionicle series (Lego Bionicle brand about the Toa warriors)
  • Tongues of Jade by Lawrence Yep
  • Books about animals and different places around the globe
The Babysitters Club and Nancy Drew could be nice additions as well.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”