True Crime Novels

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
hillisee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hillisee.html
Latest Review: Snow Country Lane by Sarah Vail

True Crime Novels

Post by hillisee »

Looking for books on true crime. Especially appreciate recommendations on books that include the use of behavioral science to determine the perpetrator. I am a very big fan of true crime TV shows and even Harlan Coben novels and would love to hear more about novels such as those. Thank you!!
Linda Atnip
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Linda Atnip »

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote is the gold standard for the true Crime fan. It is a fascinating and penetrating look at how a serial killer is born.
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

Three Minutes to Doomsday by Joe Navarro would be an interesting read.
ngocarolyn
Currently Reading: I'll Be Gone in the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngocarolyn.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by ngocarolyn »

Have you looked into reading any of John Douglas/Mark Olshaker books? Douglas is seen as one of the first criminal profilers in the FBI along with Robert Ressler. Maybe look into MindHunter as a start! I know they made a TV series on this, but I thoroughly enjoyed the book (granted, I read the book first!)
Sumansona1344
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumansona1344.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sumansona1344 »

Behind her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough. This book is a psychological thriller and will make you scream at various parts. It will take you off-edge whenever you think you know what is going to happen.
SenSen
Currently Reading: Never Let Me Go
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sensen.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by SenSen »

The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler is a classic and I enjoyed it. It is fast-paced and rather short, perfect for an evening read.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Disquisitive
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-disquisitive.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Disquisitive »

For true crime, i.e. a work of non-fiction, then I highly recommend Gone at Midnight by Jake Anderson. It is an investigation into the disappearance and death of Elisa Lam, who was found dead in the water tank of the hotel she was staying at (after hotel guests complained about a foul taste and odour to the water).

What I loved about it and think you will like too, was that it was both very readable and at the same time, a very thorough investigation. I found out toward the end of the book that author Jake Anderson trained as a documentary maker. In fact this book came out of a documentary he was making, and as a result he has high journalistic standards, explaining the thorough research. In the book, he examines the physical evidence and also some of what Elisa Lam might be thinking and feeling, told through her travel diary blog and via her relationships with others.

Author Jake Anderson makes several trips to the hotel to look first-hand at details of layout etc that have a bearing on the case. He investigates carefully any behaviour of hers and of others which might seem unusual or inexplicable that happened close to the date of her death. This is definitely a gripping read if you like true crime.
Dominik_G
Currently Reading: Secret Window
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dominik-g.html
Latest Review: A Long Dark Rainbow by Michael Tappenden

Post by Dominik_G »

If you're interested in criminal profiling, I'd definitely recommend Whoever Fights Monsters by Robert K. Ressler & Tom Shachtman. I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara is also quite chilling. And though I'd say it's more of a "true crime novel", The Road Out of Hell by Anthony Flacco & Jerry Clark is absolutely heart-rending and extraordinary!

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”