Books similar to Roald Dahl or Neil Gaiman?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Books similar to Roald Dahl or Neil Gaiman?

Post by sevencrows »

Hey! I'd love recommendations for timeless and somewhat whimsical children's authors in the same vein as Dahl, Gaiman, or Lemony Snicket!
arigray9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arigray9.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by arigray9 »

I once read a book called The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling that I think is kind of similar to Dahl or Snicket. It's about a boy who gains a "chocolate touch," not unlike the story of King Midas's gold touch. Another children's author I really enjoy is Andrew Clements. His writes mostly realistic fiction, so it might not be the same genre as the authors you mentioned but I would definitely consider him a timeless children's author. Happy reading!
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

For that intellectual and whimsical style I'd recommend Terry Pratchett paticually "The Wee Free Men", "Johnny and the Dead" and "Only you can Save Mankind" and Tolkien for "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings." :)
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster has whimsical elements and also some fun wordplay. I read it as an adult and I was pleasantly surprised by the vocabulary stuff.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:

Post by sevencrows »

arigray9 wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 23:10 I once read a book called The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skene Catling that I think is kind of similar to Dahl or Snicket. It's about a boy who gains a "chocolate touch," not unlike the story of King Midas's gold touch. Another children's author I really enjoy is Andrew Clements. His writes mostly realistic fiction, so it might not be the same genre as the authors you mentioned but I would definitely consider him a timeless children's author. Happy reading!
That sounds interesting! Thank you for the rec, I'll be sure to check it out!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:

Post by sevencrows »

NovaFly wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 23:50 For that intellectual and whimsical style I'd recommend Terry Pratchett paticually "The Wee Free Men", "Johnny and the Dead" and "Only you can Save Mankind" and Tolkien for "The Hobbit" and "Lord of the Rings." :)
I absolutely love Pratchett, though I've only read a few of his books--"Jonny and the Dead" is next on my to-read list though!
sevencrows
Currently Reading:

Post by sevencrows »

AlexisLib wrote: 20 Jan 2020, 20:24 The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster has whimsical elements and also some fun wordplay. I read it as an adult and I was pleasantly surprised by the vocabulary stuff.
This sounds like it's be right up my alley -- thank you for the recc !

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”