Classic Fantasies?

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Classic Fantasies?

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I have a confession to make... I've never read The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien, which is, as far as I know, a mega-classic. Funny thing is:
#1) I love the movie and have watched it many times.
#2) I've had the book for nearly 6 years, just collecting dust on my bookshelf.

That got me thinking: What other fantasy classics have I missed out on? Anyone have some good recommendations?
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Arina Siaban
Currently Reading: The Course of Empire
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arina-siaban.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B01KWX0EL4

Post by Arina Siaban »

I get you Tamorie. I've had the entire trilogy sitting there on my bookshelf, giving me shifty eyes as I open yet another book while staring at it defiantly. For some reason I never got around to picking it up, perhaps because when I read The Hobbit I wasn't as enticed by it as is the norm.

However, here are a few fantasy classics I truly believe are worth picking up: the Earthsea series by the wonderful Ursula K. Le Guin; A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle; and the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.

All of these transport the reader to a magical world of discovery and novelty, and I'm certain you'll enjoy them if you haven't read them already!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Arina Siaban wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 09:32
However, here are a few fantasy classics I truly believe are worth picking up: the Earthsea series by the wonderful Ursula K. Le Guin; A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle; and the Dragonriders of Pern series by Anne McCaffrey.
The Earthsea series by Ursula K. Le Guin are really great. I recommend these books too.Also, I recommend the
Memory, Sorrow and Thorn series by Tad Williams.

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”