Historical Fiction/Literature and Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Redargen120
Currently Reading: The Girl in the Castle
Bookshelf Size: 10

Historical Fiction/Literature and Sci-Fi/Fantasy

Post by Redargen120 »

Hello, All!

I'm in need of a new novel or series.

I love Historical Fiction and Literature: World Without End, Pillars of the Earth, Pride & Prejudice, Sherlock Holmes, Count of Monte Cristo, etc.

I like the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre as well including the Lord of the Rings, Dresden Files, Game of Thrones, The Sword of Truth, Harry Potter, etc.

I love books that are an escape - worlds or time periods unlike my own that I can be transported to with the turn of a page.

Share your favorites and why you love them!
Juliet+1
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Your Smart Home Voyage by Gary Rockis

Post by Juliet+1 »

Well, if you like history and fantasy, I recommend the "Parasol Protectorate" series by Gail Carriger. It's a fantasy series set in the Victorian era, a somewhat different Victorian era than the one we know. First book is "Soulless." All the books are lively and screamingly funny.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

If you love those genres you can find a mix of them in The Terror by Dan Simmons, which is based on a historical expedition into the Arctic but also contains a supernatural element.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

For more of the historical literature I’d recommend Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy and The Old Curiosity Shop by Charles Dickens. Two of my favourites along with Pride & Prejudice.

For some old-timey feeling fantasy maybe check out the Von Bek series by Michael Moorcock! A slightly more uncomfortable read and he doesn’t pull back from the intense sexism of the past but it’s really accessible and not too long!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
Nancy 123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nancy 123 »

Ben Moore and any sci fi or psychology books or psych texts Dr Jack Grenan Thanks
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

Ooh maybe also check out Daughter of Smoke & Bone by Laini Taylor. It's about an ordinary girl who collects teeth from strange worlds for her supernatural adoptive family. Then she falls in love with an angel and things really kick off.

A little more heavy of science fiction: I'd recommend Isaac Asimov's Foundation series. A slightly obvious recommendation but sometimes the classics are just... well... classic!
'All bad poetry springs from genuine feeling' - Oscar Wilde
'Am reading more Oscar Wilde. What a tiresome, affected sod' - Noël Coward
TheAshedPhoenix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theashedphoenix.html
Latest Review: How to Define Yourself by Chuck Clifton

Post by TheAshedPhoenix »

If it's historical fiction you're looking for, I'd recommend one of my all-time favorite A Tale of Two Cities. In case of fantasy/sci-fi genre, George Orwell's classic 1984 still remains one of my favorite worlds to dive into and The Hunger Games have always been a guilty pleasure of mine.
imaginarilily
Currently Reading: The Perfect Storm
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by imaginarilily »

I think you might like The Once and Future King by T H White, which is based on Arthurian legend. It looks at the life of King Arthur- great medieval setting. It's a bit lengthy, but a lot of great books are.
If you liked Sherlock Holmes there's a good book based on the characters called The Sherlockian which goes between Arthur Conan Doyle and the time period during which he didn't write Sherlock, and a modern day mystery taking place in a society dedicated to the Holmes books.
NovaFly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novafly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by NovaFly »

For historical fiction I recommend "A rose for the ANZAC boys" by Jackie French.
And for a fantasy, Sherlock Holmes cross over "A Study in Emerald" by Neil Gaiman is epic!
Thea Frederick
Currently Reading: Little Dorrit
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thea-frederick.html
Latest Review: How to Cope: Parenting a Child with Special Needs by Christine E. Staple Ebanks

Post by Thea Frederick »

I would recommend The Wheel of Time series for a fantasy series. The plot and character development is incredible and the culture and world created by Robert Jordan is so detailed and thoughtful. I am almost finished with the first book and I love the characters! I can't even pick my favorite because they all have their good and bad sides, which makes them very real and relatable.
-Thea M. Frederick
Brendafaye
Currently Reading: You Are Not Alone
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendafaye.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by Brendafaye »

For historical fic - The Alice Network by Kate Quinn, The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
For sci fi - the Jane Hawk series by Dean Koontz
khaulah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-khaulah.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by khaulah »

The three musketeers by Alexander Dumas, And then there were none by Agatha Cristie, Pollyanna by Eleanor porter, The tenant of wildfell hall by Anne Bronte, The enchanted april by Elizabeth von arnim

For fantasy series I always recommend The farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb.
TrudiNZ
Favorite Book: Stranger in a Strange Land
Currently Reading: The Illuminatus! Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trudinz.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by TrudiNZ »

One of my favorites is The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by R A Heinlein. Sort of a sci-fi history of colonistaion of the Moon and it's desire to be recognised as it's own territory after years of being subject to Earth's rules. Or for historical/time travel, The Outlander series by Diana Gabladon.
I Like Fiction Books
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-i-like-fiction-books.html
Latest Review: Merlin's Rings: Book One: Young Crusaders by Virginia Hoyt

Post by I Like Fiction Books »

A Wrinkle in Time by Madeline L’engle

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”