Looking for a great Sci Fi Series

Looking for a specific book recommendation? Need help finding your next great read? Tell us a little about you, your preferences, and other books you enjoy. Tell us a little about what kind of books you want to read. Our helpful community of avid readers will gladly help you. :)

If you are looking for general recommendations rather than personalized recommendations, please check out the exclusive reviews from our official review team.
Tylerwkwrites55
Bookshelf Size: 0

Looking for a great Sci Fi Series

Post by Tylerwkwrites55 »

Can anyone recommend a great sci-fi novel or series? Looking to start something new, really looking for something super original and fresh. I just read Dune, and loved it.

Not sure I'll able to find something that amazing again right away, but hopefully someone on the forums may be able to help!
Readeatrepeat1
Currently Reading: What the Dog Saw
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readeatrepeat1.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro

Post by Readeatrepeat1 »

Are you into time travel at all? I'm almost done with a book called All Our Wrong Todays by Elan Mastai and it's really good. The author's tone is kind of similar to Blake Crouch but a little more humorous, so if you liked Dark Matter or Recursion I think you might like this one.
casdill
Currently Reading: Thank and Grow Rich
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by casdill »

Dune is a classic that you can't really expect to top, but I'm sure you can find some things that are very close!

Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga (and other series) might scratch that itch for you.
annaestelle
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by annaestelle »

Have you read any of Ursula K. LeGuin's SciFi? I'm not sure how it compares to Dune, but it's masterfully written! I recommend "The Left Hand of Darkness" and "The Word For World is Forest," as starting points, though she's also got some big collections of short stories too, if that's interesting to you.
Ben Moore
Favorite Author: C. S. Lewis
Currently Reading: The Diary of Samuel Pepys, Vol. 1
Bookshelf Size: 515
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ben-moore.html
Latest Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz
fav_author_id: 4569

Post by Ben Moore »

If you want a fairly epic series, it might be worth looking into Iain M. Banks and his ‘Culture’ novels. The first one ‘Consider Phlebas’ is a bit dense but I’ve not found another series that matches his Culture series for worldbuilding.

For some hard sci-fi, I’d really recommend ‘The Three Body Problem’ by Liu Cixin. It’s pretty wacky and political but I’ve never read anything like it.

You also can’t go too wrong with the classic Foundation series by Asimov

Return to “Personalized Reading Recommendations”